ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Science Expo

ReCom Science Expo All the sciences that you need to know

Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

hunliang
Less Junior Member

#11 Old 25-03-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoblast

People have this misconception that life came from a single cell. Wrong. Life probably came from a whole species of cells, billions of them, and when we are talking about cells that can swap genetic info like we swap emails, this "species" is quite huge indeed.
How can u say that life comes from a single cell is WRONG when u say life PROBABLY came from a whole species of cells?

It is a theory, not a proven fact. So all possibilities cannot be wrong. I understand about horizontal genetic transfers that ur toking about. It is possible, but how do u prove that it happened at the beginning of life?

Life at the early stage might not hav the ability to transfer gene horizontally until they evolve a mechanism to do so. Therefore it could be millions of generatons of vertical gene transfer, originating from a cell before horizontal gene transfer is evolved? Who knows?

U might be right, but mine could be right as well. The is currently no way to prove it.
hunliang is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#12 Old 25-03-2006 Default

read third's post...

there is not certainty in every theory...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
reign226

#13 Old 25-03-2006 Default

Look, you can't even put creationism (intelligent design) in the same page as evolution, because ID doesn't even come CLOSE to providing any sort of answer to the debacle. It's wat we call a null-answer. In that it avoids the question completely.

I support Richard Dawkin's notion that we shouldn't even give in to having a debate with a creationist over the issue because doing so will give ID credence and give the false impression that there is something worth to be debated about. All creationism says is "life has a creator." Period. I mean, does that answer anything? Does it give us any sort of predictive mechanism to validate it's claims? Does it reduce biology into something elegant and simple?

Allow me to illustrate. For example, I give you a string of numbers, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10... etc. The position of evolution is that the numbers can be generated and hence the whole series can be reduced to 2n, with n being any non-zero positive number. But all ID does is say the numbers are actually created by printing out 2, then 4, then 6, etc. It doesn't answer ANYTHING nor does it reduce the complexity of the series into laws that we can understand.

IMHO, evolution is the only theory. ID, creationism, those aren't even close to approaching theory. At best, those are ideas. And ideas, Mr Creedy, are bulletproof. Oh wait, sorry, got carried away. ^^
lyzzy

#14 Old 26-03-2006 Default

For you guys out there who believe that creationism should be allowed to be taught in schools as a valid scientific theory -
the FSM 'the flying spaghetti monster' religion: http://www.venganza.org/

Quote:
Some find that hard to believe, so it may be helpful to tell you a little more about our beliefs. We have evidence that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. None of us, of course, were around to see it, but we have written accounts of it. We have several lengthy volumes explaining all details of His power. Also, you may be surprised to hear that there are over 10 million of us, and growing. We tend to be very secretive, as many people claim our beliefs are not substantiated by observable evidence. What these people don?t understand is that He built the world to make us think the earth is older than it really is. For example, a scientist may perform a carbon-dating process on an artifact. He finds that approximately 75% of the Carbon-14 has decayed by electron emission to Nitrogen-14, and infers that this artifact is approximately 10,000 years old, as the half-life of Carbon-14 appears to be 5,730 years. But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage. We have numerous texts that describe in detail how this can be possible and the reasons why He does this. He is of course invisible and can pass through normal matter with ease.
If you are bored, you should read http://www.venganza.org/email_neg.htm - this page has emails from people who can't differentiate between satire and fact. very very funny and good way to waste your Sunday afternoon.

And of course, some background information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
________
buy grinder

Last edited by lyzzy; 08-02-2011 at 06:49 PM.
lyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
__earth Male

#15 Old 26-03-2006 Default

if any of you contemplating of converting into FSM, halt! consider of joining the invisible pink unicorn too! cooler deity!
Shoblast
Slightly Senior Member

#16 Old 26-03-2006 Default

How about the Rampaging Elephant of Moolah, the tool of destruction and entrophy?

#17 Old 26-03-2006 Default

Haha, so many religions. I wonder how many people are atheists here?
Shoblast
Slightly Senior Member

#18 Old 26-03-2006 Default

No, wait wait, i repent. I am now a firm and devout Pastafarian. Evolution is a tool of the Sauce of the Underworld.
Super Junior Member

#19 Old 26-03-2006 Default

i'm an agnostic. by the looks of it, religion is going to wipe us all out.
jerusha is offline   Reply With Quote
iQing

#20 Old 26-03-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerusha
i'm an agnostic. by the looks of it, religion is going to wipe us all out.

it put us in boxes< of belief system, which always limit us.,