ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#21 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
Judging from the result in their last election, Singaporeans are starting to disagree with this "small price".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjiahui View Post
The bigger issue with the politics in Singapore is not directly because of the 'lack of freedom' but more for other issues. I think the underlying dissatisfaction with the Singaporeans is the fact that with rising standards of living, many Singaporeans are faced with a strain in income. Something along the lines of them being underpaid and such. Long story short -- something isn't working right in their economy and needs to be fixed pronto. Singaporeans just used the pressure of the vote to wake the gov up. I have no doubts that PAP will bounce back. With that, I think the issue on freedom is a small one.
Well like any other country Singapore is still facing ups and downs. On average it's still a lot better off than most countries, specially in the region.

Let's not forget that 60% of the popular vote (even if the seats distribution system is VERY rigged) is still considered very high. I think Singaporeans wanted them to know that they have to get back down on the ground a bit and listen to them more. The PAP's like a stubborn old grandfather - experienced and knows what's good for the kids, but ultimately doesn't listen to them much. They want this to change.

To their credit they've seem to taken notice. Cabinet's reshuffled among other things (though I have to say I have gotten respect for George Yeo, what a gentleman).

ERR, to stay on topic...

If the government could deliver there really wouldn't be a big problem. And opposition supporters wouldn't be so against government supporters. But they're not. In addition to not getting good governance, we're also not getting our freedom. So while SG has a bit less freedom and good governance, we have only a bit more freedom and NO good governance. The better trade is obvious.

The lesser between two evils is Pakatan Rakyat. And while they will misstep a lot, I believe the BN will make a good Opposition in that it's experienced, has a big reach and has lots of infrastructure to aid itself. If you balance things out by giving the power of incumbency to Pakatan Rakyat, I think BN will keep them on pace pretty well. And when things start turning again maybe BN can have its old place back.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#22 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas92 View Post
Well like any other country Singapore is still facing ups and downs. On average it's still a lot better off than most countries, specially in the region.

Let's not forget that 60% of the popular vote (even if the seats distribution system is VERY rigged) is still considered very high. I think Singaporeans wanted them to know that they have to get back down on the ground a bit and listen to them more. The PAP's like a stubborn old grandfather - experienced and knows what's good for the kids, but ultimately doesn't listen to them much. They want this to change.

To their credit they've seem to taken notice. Cabinet's reshuffled among other things (though I have to say I have gotten respect for George Yeo, what a gentleman).

ERR, to stay on topic...

If the government could deliver there really wouldn't be a big problem. And opposition supporters wouldn't be so against government supporters. But they're not. In addition to not getting good governance, we're also not getting our freedom. So while SG has a bit less freedom and good governance, we have only a bit more freedom and NO good governance. The better trade is obvious.

The lesser between two evils is Pakatan Rakyat. And while they will misstep a lot, I believe the BN will make a good Opposition in that it's experienced, has a big reach and has lots of infrastructure to aid itself. If you balance things out by giving the power of incumbency to Pakatan Rakyat, I think BN will keep them on pace pretty well. And when things start turning again maybe BN can have its old place back.
But in all honesty, I don't think that Opposition is ready to take over and I don't think that BN is ready to give up their political position. It's far too soon for it to happen, simply because Mahathir is alive/wants his way in politics. I think the general public (both pro-gov and pro-opposition) is not at that stage where we are matured enough to accept the change over and to be really honest, I'm actually quite afraid for the security of the nation. I know this sounds like a hugeeee leap of logic but you can't help but feel so cynical when you hear/read all the attacks that happen that don't go reported in the local media.

Yez. A bit conflicted here. Haha.

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
~Henry Kissinger

(looking for people to parler franšais! PM me!)
ayjiahui is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#23 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

This forum is getting rather politically-oriented and anti-government these days, isn't it?
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#24 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
This forum is getting rather politically-oriented and anti-government these days, isn't it?
It's because of the whole JPA saga and the people who start threads. Sigh. We should talk about happier things. Like Bieber or Cullen

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
~Henry Kissinger

Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#25 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjiahui View Post
We should talk about happier things. Like Bieber or Cullen
I choose Ibrahim Ali. At least he's entertaining.
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#26 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
I choose Ibrahim Ali. At least he's entertaining.
He makes me foam at the mouth
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#27 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
He makes me foam at the mouth
Ibrahim Ali makes me laugh. His comments are so silly to the point that I feel like he's not worth my attention. HAHAHA.

~Henry Kissinger

The Following User Says Thank You to ayjiahui For This Useful Post:
amara93 Female
Super Junior Member

#28 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

[quote=ayjiahui;375526]But in all honesty, I don't think that Opposition is ready to take over and I don't think that BN is ready to give up their political position. It's far too soon for it to happen, simply because Mahathir is alive/wants his way in politics. I think the general public (both pro-gov and pro-opposition) is not at that stage where we are matured enough to accept the change over and to be really honest, I'm actually quite afraid for the security of the nation. I know this sounds like a hugeeee leap of logic but you can't help but feel so cynical when you hear/read all the attacks that happen that don't go reported in the local media./quote]

Even if they're not ready, I don't think it can get any worse from this.

I'd rather take a chance.
amara93 is offline   Reply With Quote
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#29 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by amara93 View Post

Even if they're not ready, I don't think it can get any worse from this.

I'd rather take a chance.
That's why I said. I feel conflicted. Anyway, to clarify I'm more afraid for the security of the nation should a take over happen, rather than the oppositions readiness.

~Henry Kissinger

youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#30 Old 25-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

It would be naive to think that once the opposition takes over all malaise in our country would be cured overnight. The more important thing to aim for, in my opinion, is a stable and mature political climate (of which the two-party system is one of the most established in the modern world) which discourages outright nepotism, corruption and cronyism.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youngyew For This Useful Post: