ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

shuwenteo
Cremated

#1 Old 24-05-2011 Thumbs up Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Last edited by shuwenteo; 08-08-2012 at 02:21 PM.
shuwenteo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shuwenteo For This Useful Post:
xJing Female

#2 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

If you vote BN out, you'll have to vote another party in which leads to the question: What would we be voting in?

http://kttshinesforjesus.blogspot.com
xJing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xJing For This Useful Post:
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#3 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJing View Post
If you vote BN out, you'll have to vote another party in which leads to the question: What would we be voting in?
I'd be willing to take the chance. Enough is enough. We have seen decades of rule under BN and we know all to well what they have brought to this country.

It's time for a change.
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#4 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

The states led by the opposition party are doing pretty well. Penang is running at a surplus.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to youngyew For This Useful Post:
zeeyang Male
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
I'd be willing to take the chance. Enough is enough. We have seen decades of rule under BN and we know all to well what they have brought to this country.

It's time for a change.
well said.
zeeyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#6 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJing View Post
We most probably don't know what can the incoming party do, but we certainly know what the current party couldn't do...

Miracles happen everyday
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#7 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

At this point I would say that having an established two-party system is the goal we should aim for. When there are two equally strong alternatives, both would be compelled to serve the public in order to gain political traction. When there's only one dominant party, it will be more inclined to dedicate its resource in clamping down on the minority opposition (look at Malaysia and Singapore) than actually serving its people and upholding the democratic spirits.

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#8 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwenteo View Post
Two-party system? PR is assigned the role of opposition?
It doesn't have to be the opposition forever. As long as the two dominant parties are on par with each other, either of them could be the government as long as their policies are in line with the people's need.

frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#9 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

I don't really mind BN staying in government. I just want those corrupted, racist, liars, dictators, etc, who are in BN and within the political realm of power to get out of office at the next GE.
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frostbyte13 For This Useful Post:
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#10 Old 24-05-2011 Default Re: Top 7 reasons not to vote BN come GE-13

I myself am not entirely confident in PR...while I respect PAS and DAP as mature parties with lots of experience, I don't think they'll work too well together if they form the government...all PAS has to do is raise the stupid Islamic state issue again and play right into BN's hands. They split over this disagreement before, they may do it again.

PKR on the other hand is just a cult organisation revolving around Anwar. Seriously, take out Anwar and who's left? While there are respectable MPs there, and certainly good people (of all of them I trust Wan Azizah the most - she is most respectable, I believe) there are too many UMNO-types (and former UMNO members) who are just too much attached to Anwar, or greed, or power. The fact that PKR is the party bleeding MPs and the fact that it's the reason Perak fell (there was that moronic DAP woman but that's quite a rare case) makes me a lot less confident in PKR. Anwar for PM, yes, but in no way do I want it to be the biggest party in Parliament.

Then again, the Opposition will almost likely do better. BN has been around too long. They need to get out. A few years as a (very strong, might I add) opposition will not only keep a PR government on its toes, it may also allow it to reform. If we ever manage to get a two-party system like the US has, I'll be pretty satisfied. The US isn't perfect, but the fact that it can change parties as it likes and that no one party commands a distinct, unfair advantage over the other sounds nice to me.

I wouldn't mind a Singapore-like government too, to be honest...I believe in freedoms, yes, but if an authoritarian government can keep up some real good work, I'd take that over Malaysia any day. A competent dictator trumps a democratically-elected buffoon any time.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicholas92 For This Useful Post: