ReCom.org
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships Everything about scholarships provided by the Public Services Department of Malaysia

JPA Law

sikballa
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 13-05-2008 Default JPA Law

Good day fellow Recomers...

I have been miraculously given the JPA scholarship to do law in the United Kingdom. I have confirmed my acceptance and is now awaiting further instructions from the JPA.

I have read through the programme structure, and it seems i will be doing a-levels here in Malaysia for a year and a half at an assigned private college. This worries me immensely as i might be sent to some unknown colleges(KT*, InT##) to do my a-levels.

I know that the most important, deciding factor to a success is self initiative, but for the past couple of months i had been doing my a-levels in KDU Penang, a fine college by all points of view. I am afraid of the culture shock i might experience as a result of being sent to a, ahem, lesser college.

Therefore, i hope any of your kind souls would enlighten me about the possible colleges i might be sent to to do my foundation.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Last edited by sikballa; 13-05-2008 at 09:46 PM.
sikballa is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#2 Old 13-05-2008 Default

Thread moved to the scholarships section

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#3 Old 13-05-2008 Default

If you want to point out something that you think is of worse quality, it's better to say it out loudly and back it up with facts. Obfuscating your words like "KT*, InT##" is not going to help anything.

Intec is bad meh? (assuming that the inT## word puzzle means intec)

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
sikballa
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 13-05-2008 Default

i meant lesser-known. Is it bad? well...i have seniors that say so. I'm not here to argue. I am just very concerned bout where i am heading.
syafiq07
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 14-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikballa View Post
i meant lesser-known. Is it bad? well...i have seniors that say so. I'm not here to argue. I am just very concerned bout where i am heading.
wht did your senior said?Im interested to know as well.
~Not getting scholarship doesn't mean doomsday for anybody. It just means that your path in life doesn't take you there. Maybe further down the road you might even be thankful for not getting *the* scholarship because you are much better off somehow than those who did~

kudos to recommer who made this original comment
syafiq07 is offline   Reply With Quote
ZhannaC

#6 Old 14-05-2008 Default

Me Law Me Law Me Law!

Great to meet another Recomer who got law. =)

How on earth do you know you'll be sent to UK? How will they decide where to send us anyway?

If you think you'll be sent to UK because you told your interviewers that you want to go UK.. well, JPA will go bankrupt if they gave everyone their country of choice.. hehe.

If JPA were to take my choice into consideration means I'll get to go Australia!

'Culture shock'? From a *ahem* lesser-known college?

Oh by the way, I tried searching for seniors who got JPA law.. haven't found any.

So guess you'll just have to wait for the official letter that will arrive soon.. that may list a *ahem* lesser-known college. So you'll have time to prepare yourself for the 'culture shock'.

Btw, in JPA's site they listed UK-bound students as having to do A levels for 24 months.. and AusMat students 18 months.. not 1.5 years for UK I'm afraid.
ZhannaC is offline   Reply With Quote
sikballa
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 14-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhannaC View Post
Me Law Me Law Me Law!

Great to meet another Recomer who got law. =)

How on earth do you know you'll be sent to UK? How will they decide where to send us anyway?

If you think you'll be sent to UK because you told your interviewers that you want to go UK.. well, JPA will go bankrupt if they gave everyone their country of choice.. hehe.

If JPA were to take my choice into consideration means I'll get to go Australia!

'Culture shock'? From a *ahem* lesser-known college?

Oh by the way, I tried searching for seniors who got JPA law.. haven't found any.

So guess you'll just have to wait for the official letter that will arrive soon.. that may list a *ahem* lesser-known college. So you'll have time to prepare yourself for the 'culture shock'.

Btw, in JPA's site they listed UK-bound students as having to do A levels for 24 months.. and AusMat students 18 months.. not 1.5 years for UK I'm afraid.
yea i am aware after reading through the program structure thoroughly. Thanks for the reminders. I stated previously that i will be sent to uk because i thought uk is the only option for jpa scholars doing law. Well, go figure...

about the a-levels thingy, i seriously do not know much. A-levels is technically a year and a half program, if we are doing the GCE A-levels anyway. I heard the edexcel a-levels is slightly different. Maybe that is a cause for confusion?

Great to meet another recommer who's gonna do law. Lets keep each other posted bout the latest developments.
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#8 Old 14-05-2008 Default

Interesting. I thought they stopped sending students to UK for law. My best buddy got UK Law and is now in Cambridge. He did A-levels for 24 months in Sunway College. We were SPM 2002, I am not sure about the situation of the later batches.

youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
ZhannaC

#9 Old 14-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikballa View Post
yea i am aware after reading through the program structure thoroughly. Thanks for the reminders. I stated previously that i will be sent to uk because i thought uk is the only option for jpa scholars doing law. Well, go figure...

about the a-levels thingy, i seriously do not know much. A-levels is technically a year and a half program, if we are doing the GCE A-levels anyway. I heard the edexcel a-levels is slightly different. Maybe that is a cause for confusion?

Great to meet another recommer who's gonna do law. Lets keep each other posted bout the latest developments.
We'll have to learn English for a short period of time.. that's why they put 24 months for A-levels, and 18 months for AusMat.

I don't know the difference between all the A-levels you just mentioned..

Actually, I don't know anything about pre-U studies. Only considerably well-informed about STPM.

Any idea how they'll pick which country to send us to? How did you do for SPM, btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
Interesting. I thought they stopped sending students to UK for law. My best buddy got UK Law and is now in Cambridge. He did A-levels for 24 months in Sunway College. We were SPM 2002, I am not sure about the situation of the later batches.
Sunway? Wow.

Cambridge?? Double wow!

Gee Youngyew you're making me dream..

*off to fantasise about Cambridge*
ZhannaC is offline   Reply With Quote
jingguo Male

#10 Old 14-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syafiq07 View Post
wht did your senior said?Im interested to know as well.
well, if you guys wanna knwo more about INTEC, theres' a thread about INTEC and your future accomodation : Cemara/Akasia.. though i'm not sure if its that really updated.

http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5192

http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5193
jingguo is offline   Reply With Quote