ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Headquarters > Malaysian Students' Magazine Project

Malaysian Students' Magazine Project This is the forum for ReCom members to discuss the implementation of Malaysian Students' magazine.

Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

sleevelesssky Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#1 Old 05-01-2011 Default Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

Do you have an opinion? [Pun intended]

Debaters Alert!

ReMag is currently recruiting volunteers to partake in the first ever Debate Battle, a special monthly section allocated in ReMag to accommodate and feature the diverse opinions of Recommers over a variety of current issues.

We are looking for 5 ReCommers to put forward their arguments regarding the chosen topic. Two will be supporting the issue, two will be opposing, and one will suggest a neutral opinion – be it the middle path between the two extremes, a conciliatory point of view, or an alternative perspective.

Opinions will be limited to an approximate 200 to 400 words.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debate Battle 1: Is Wikileaks justified for the greater good?

Wikileaks, arguably the most famous (or infamous) whistle-blower website ever in history, has stirred up a storm of controversy by leaking confidential information of governments and corporations all over the world. While most countries have condemned the irresponsible actions of Wikileaks, a significant number of people, as well as many journalistic institutions, have chosen to defend Wikileaks on the basis of freedom of speech and information. However, is Wikileaks justified for the greater good - the greater good of all?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReCommers who are interested to argue about the chosen topic can indicate their preference by leaving a comment HERE: Signing-up deadline is 12 am, Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011. Selected debaters will be notified by
10 pm, Thursday, 13 Jan 2011. [DEADLINE EXTENDED]

ReMag reserves the right to make final decision in terms of debater selection, in the case of excess participants.

Last edited by Glassylicious; 09-01-2011 at 09:52 PM.
sleevelesssky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleevelesssky For This Useful Post:
unsolvedcryptex Male
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 06-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleevelesssky View Post
While most countries have condemned the irresponsible actions of Wikileaks, a significant number of people, as well as many journalistic institutions, have chosen to defend Wikileaks on the basis of freedom of speech and information.
I doubt so that many journalistic institutions think that way. Read an article on New York Times on why, even journalists do not want to stand up to speak for Assange. Julian has brought journalism to a new dimension, and is heavily criticized by journalist for that reason.

Anyway, looking forward to it.
Alexis Ma
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#3 Old 06-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

This seems quite my niche. Sign me up.
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#4 Old 06-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

Two will be supporting the issue, two will be opposing, and one will suggest a neutral opinion – be it the middle path between the two extremes, a conciliatory point of view, or an alternative perspective.

Please indicate your preference. Thanks.
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#5 Old 07-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

Bump. We need more volunteers please. =)

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
acgerlok7 Male
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

#6 Old 07-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolvedcryptex View Post
I doubt so that many journalistic institutions think that way. Read an article on New York Times on why, even journalists do not want to stand up to speak for Assange. Julian has brought journalism to a new dimension, and is heavily criticized by journalist for that reason.

Anyway, looking forward to it.

*post removed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassylicious View Post
Bump. We need more volunteers please. =)
i've just volunteered myself.xD by replying to unsolvedryptex's point of view and i am standing out as an oppsoing side

Last edited by acgerlok7; 09-01-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
acgerlok7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#7 Old 07-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

Acgerlok7, we appreciate your enthusiasm. However, do bear in mind this thread only serves as a sign-up thread. Once the selection of the participants is completed, you will be notified and subsequently, be invited to a private thread to debate in a more structured format.

That being said, thank you for expressing your interest.
sleevelesssky Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#8 Old 07-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

Check your inbox, acgerlok7.

Bump bump.

Once again I would like to remind that this is only a sign-up thread.
Slightly Senior Member

#9 Old 07-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

I am not part of this debate, and have not sign up. I am merely pointing out that WikiLeaks may not be regarded as part of journalism.

I did not indicate that I am in either side of the debate.
Nicholasng925 Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#10 Old 08-01-2011 Default Re: Do you have an opinion? Debate Battle 1: Wikileaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolvedcryptex View Post
I am not part of this debate, and have not sign up. I am merely pointing out that WikiLeaks may not be regarded as part of journalism.

I did not indicate that I am in either side of the debate.
With your very short statement previously, you initiated acgerlok7 to oppose your idea with a very long post. Haha! xD It's a good thing though!

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
=[{Albert Einstein}]=

Feel free to visit my blog here!!!
Nicholasng925 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholasng925 For This Useful Post: