ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
itscaely Female
Super Junior Member
 
itscaely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
  #1 Old 19-12-2010 Default International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

I'm still not entirely sure about studying in Canada. So, if I join the ICPU program, will my chances of being accepted in universities in countries OTHER THAN Canada decrease? Countries like UK and Singapore.

Like, will the universities in UK and Singapore ignore my application just because I didn't take A-Levels which is more recognized?

I'm probably going to take subjects from the Humanities category. Example: law, sociology, history. I tried Googling but I can't find anything. If you know anything, help is much appreciated. Thanks!
itscaely is offline   Reply With Quote
Kemai Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
Kemai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 90
  #2 Old 19-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscaely View Post
I'm still not entirely sure about studying in Canada. So, if I join the ICPU program, will my chances of being accepted in universities in countries OTHER THAN Canada decrease? Countries like UK and Singapore.

Like, will the universities in UK and Singapore ignore my application just because I didn't take A-Levels which is more recognized?

I'm probably going to take subjects from the Humanities category. Example: law, sociology, history. I tried Googling but I can't find anything. If you know anything, help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Hello there, I'm currently studying in CPU, Taylors and CPU is accepted by SOME universities in the UK according to lecturers and the staff who work at the placement centre. For universites in Singapore, I'm not that sure. Preferably most of the countries want A-levels rather than the CPU course itself (as it is an ontario secondary diploma). However, I strongly suggest that you check the requirements of the university that YOU would like to be in. I hope this helps. If you need to know more on the CPU course itself, please do not hesitate to contact me. I'd gladly be at your service. Cheers !

P.S. contact sleevelessky for the humanity courses, he is taking it and he is awesome at it. For me, I'm just your plain old science dude
Kemai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kemai For This Useful Post:
itscaely Female
Super Junior Member
 
itscaely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
  #3 Old 19-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemai View Post
Hello there, I'm currently studying in CPU, Taylors and CPU is accepted by SOME universities in the UK according to lecturers and the staff who work at the placement centre. For universites in Singapore, I'm not that sure. Preferably most of the countries want A-levels rather than the CPU course itself (as it is an ontario secondary diploma). However, I strongly suggest that you check the requirements of the university that YOU would like to be in. I hope this helps. If you need to know more on the CPU course itself, please do not hesitate to contact me. I'd gladly be at your service. Cheers !

P.S. contact sleevelessky for the humanity courses, he is taking it and he is awesome at it. For me, I'm just your plain old science dude
Thank you so much! You've cleared some of my doubts. It all boils down to the university I want to go to? I feel like I can excel in this program because it's hands on and not entirely exam based. But I feel also, it will be a risky choice for someone like me since I haven't even had a look-see of all the unis out there.

So, would you say that this will be a better choice if I'm 150% sure I'll be in Canada in order for this choice to be a "safe" one? (because like you said, only some unis accept this program in the UK) Thanks again!

And oh, there's nothing plain old about a science dude. It's tough, I can imagine!
itscaely is offline   Reply With Quote
Kemai Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
Kemai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 90
  #4 Old 19-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscaely View Post
Thank you so much! You've cleared some of my doubts. It all boils down to the university I want to go to? I feel like I can excel in this program because it's hands on and not entirely exam based. But I feel also, it will be a risky choice for someone like me since I haven't even had a look-see of all the unis out there.

So, would you say that this will be a better choice if I'm 150% sure I'll be in Canada in order for this choice to be a "safe" one? (because like you said, only some unis accept this program in the UK) Thanks again!

And oh, there's nothing plain old about a science dude. It's tough, I can imagine!
Honestly, I used to be the "exam based-guy". This course has really changed me a lot. There will be nights where you won't be even sleeping and all the hard work is really worth the effort that you've put in. You'll be organizing your own conferences, talks and working with NGO's. You'll have a blast with the lecturers (especially those dealing with humanity courses). With determination, I'm sure that you'll do well in it. About Canada? Girl you've already stepped into it
Kemai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kemai For This Useful Post:
sleevelesssky Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
sleevelesssky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 129
  #5 Old 20-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscaely View Post
I'm still not entirely sure about studying in Canada. So, if I join the ICPU program, will my chances of being accepted in universities in countries OTHER THAN Canada decrease? Countries like UK and Singapore.

Like, will the universities in UK and Singapore ignore my application just because I didn't take A-Levels which is more recognized?

I'm probably going to take subjects from the Humanities category. Example: law, sociology, history. I tried Googling but I can't find anything. If you know anything, help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Hi there itscaely, I've just finished my first semester in CPU. Just wondering: did you come for the Taylor's Open Day in Subang Jaya campus?

Regarding your concern that your application might be rejected by UK and Singapore universities, you need not worry.

1. Contrary to popular misconceptions, CPU is an internationally recognized pre-university program. CPU students have successfully gained admission into universities all over the world, including Hong Kong, Singapore, UK, US, Australia and of course, Canada. This is due to its adherence to strict guidelines set by the Ontario Ministry of Education.

What guidelines, you might ask? First of all, CPU has superbly qualified lecturers - CPU lecturers have two degrees, one Bachelor degree in the subject that they are teaching, and one Bachelor of Education. Secondly, part of the Ontario guidelines require CPU to have 80% Canadian lecturers, who are certainly from diverse cultural backgrounds [the remainder being Malaysian lecturers with more than 10 years of experience].

2. Yes, A levels students might have an advantage considering the brand recognition of A levels, but you stand the same chance as any A levels student in terms of applying to UK and Singapore universities as long as you score above 80% (85% to be safe) in CPU. With that result, you will also be able to apply to most of the top 200 universities in the world. Therefore chances are pretty much the same regardless of where you apply to. Of course, I stand corrected.

3. As for the subjects available in CPU, there is an astounding variety of 27 subjects you can choose from. Social science students will get to pick subjects like Individuals and Families in a Diverse Society, Challenge and Change in Society, Canadian and World Politics, Canadian and International Law, and World History: West and the World, Canadian and World Issues: A Geographical Analysis, and even Psychology [unfortunately Psychology is not taught this year as there are no lecturers qualified enough to teach this subject] - the same subjects taught in the Ontario curriculum. For the record, CPU wins hand down when it comes to the craziest and longest subject titles in pre-university programs. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscaely View Post
Thank you so much! You've cleared some of my doubts. It all boils down to the university I want to go to? I feel like I can excel in this program because it's hands on and not entirely exam based. But I feel also, it will be a risky choice for someone like me since I haven't even had a look-see of all the unis out there.

So, would you say that this will be a better choice if I'm 150% sure I'll be in Canada in order for this choice to be a "safe" one? (because like you said, only some unis accept this program in the UK) Thanks again!
I understand your worry regarding not being able to apply to universities of your choice, but CPU is definitely not a risky choice. Here are two reasons:

1. CPU IS internationally recognized. [Refer to above]

2. CPU is the most flexible pre-university program as far as I know. A CPU student takes 6 subjects over two semesters and can opt to change course should he or she wants to try something different in the second semester. For A levels and SAM, you will study all 4/5 subjects throughout the whole year and you will not have the freedom to change/drop/retake subjects in that period of time. Again I stand corrected.

3. As you mentioned in your post, you would prefer a more hands-on program - CPU will be the most suitable choice with an interactive learning environment. The much heavier emphasis on continuous assessment throughout the semester 70% (coursework 30% exams) will mean classroom discussions, laboratory experiments, presentations, group projects and yes, even conferences. For instance, World Issues students will have the opportunity to organize the Hear Us Out Global Issues Conference, which is the big project of the subject.

Check out the following link to know more:
http://www.global-changemakers.net/b...ence-malaysia/

Do not hesitate to contact me or Kemai should you need any additional information regarding CPU.

Also, I would like you to come to the Taylor's Campus Day (Subang Jaya) 8-9 January 2011. My friends and I will be there to offer guidance and share our experience. Hope to see you there!
__________________
Our conversation, like the deep sea between islands, was carried on by short, unknown words - bluedawn

Last edited by sleevelesssky; 20-12-2010 at 08:05 AM.
sleevelesssky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sleevelesssky For This Useful Post:
Kemai Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
Kemai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 90
  #6 Old 20-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Well said, guy from social science hahah!! jokin'
Kemai is offline   Reply With Quote
kinokaru Male
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 26
  #7 Old 20-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleevelesssky View Post
As for the subjects available in CPU, there is an astounding variety of 27 subjects you can choose from. Social science students will get to pick subjects like Individuals and Families in a Diverse Society, Challenge and Change in Society, Canadian and World Politics, Canadian and International Law, and World History: West and the World, Canadian and World Issues: A Geographical Analysis, and even Psychology [unfortunately Psychology is not taught this year as there are no lecturers qualified enough to teach this subject] - the same subjects taught in the Ontario curriculum. For the record, CPU wins hand down when it comes to the craziest and longest subject titles in pre-university programs. XD

most agreed

even Mathematics has fancy names like 'Advanced Functions', and Statistics is called 'Mathematics of Data Management'. hehee ~
kinokaru is offline   Reply With Quote
itscaely Female
Super Junior Member
 
itscaely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
  #8 Old 22-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Thanks sleevelesssky and Kemai for the help!

Oh yeah, I did go to Taylor's Subang Jaya the other day. I've never given CPU a second glance till I accidentally listened to the talk they were having on CPU. But after researching more on my own, doubts and confusion came up

If I decide to take this program, I'll go for the June intake, since apparently March intake is not advisable because I have to catch up with the January intake (??) This is kinda scary and exciting
itscaely is offline   Reply With Quote
sleevelesssky Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
sleevelesssky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 129
  #9 Old 22-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscaely View Post
Thanks sleevelesssky and Kemai for the help!

Oh yeah, I did go to Taylor's Subang Jaya the other day. I've never given CPU a second glance till I accidentally listened to the talk they were having on CPU. But after researching more on my own, doubts and confusion came up

If I decide to take this program, I'll go for the June intake, since apparently March intake is not advisable because I have to catch up with the January intake (??) This is kinda scary and exciting
You went for the CPU talk - presumably on Friday? I gave two presentations regarding my CPU experience on Saturday and Sunday, don't think I saw you there on both days.

I would not recommend you taking the March intake unless you REALLY need to. It is much more of a crash course for students who attended National Service from Jan-March. Either January or July intake is fine, since university admission would be during the later part of the year [up till the following year Jan].
__________________
Our conversation, like the deep sea between islands, was carried on by short, unknown words - bluedawn

Last edited by sleevelesssky; 22-12-2010 at 07:00 PM.
sleevelesssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Kemai Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
Kemai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 90
  #10 Old 22-12-2010 Default Re: International Canadian Pre-university (ICPU) Questions

... and you didn't tell me that you were giving presentations on those particular days. I want to attend too T_T
Kemai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
canada, canadian pre-university, icpu, international, studying

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
INTI International University College 989Lee Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 1021 18-03-2013 11:28 PM
Canadian International Matriculation Programme (CIMP) Marianne Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 0 13-06-2010 08:09 PM
Questions about Adelaide and Queensland University? WinnieWong Education 1 10-10-2008 03:10 PM
Inti International University College doby_90 Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 29 25-04-2008 05:00 PM
Canadian Pre University Programme joe_keng Education 3 08-11-2006 02:03 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.12441 seconds with 15 queries