ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Reporters Without Borders : Worldwide Press Freedom Index

chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#1 Old 27-10-2006 Default Reporters Without Borders : Worldwide Press Freedom Index

While things are not perfect, the initiatives by our current administration to open up our media, has directly resulted in a significant improvement in Worldwide Press Freedom Index.

Malaysia is currently ranked no 92 (up 21 notch from last year's ranking), and it is the highest among all ASEAN countries (Indonesia at 103, Cambodia 108, Thailand 122, Phillipines 142, Singapore 146, Vietnam 155, Laos 156 etc).

The full article for 2006 ranking could be read at here

For cross reference to 2005 ranking, it is at here

Hopefully, this will give us more reason to work hard to further improve our ranking.
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
misled_youth

#2 Old 27-10-2006 Default Re: Reporters Without Borders : Worldwide Press Freedom Inde

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenchow
While things are not perfect, the initiatives by our current administration to open up our media, has directly resulted in a significant improvement in Worldwide Press Freedom Index.
Dei thamby! What do you know about how the media works or press freedom?

Do you know what is RSF's methodology?

Do you know how many newspapers were suspended, given warning letters and even closed down over the past year?

How easy you forget. No wonder the gullible likes of you qualify to be recom mod/anchor/whatever.
misled_youth is offline   Reply With Quote
iQing

#3 Old 27-10-2006 Default

chenchow

your pro-government and over optimistic attitude is a dissapointment in ReCom.
you have been avoiding questions regarding your pro Government mentality, which is another dissapointment.

If you want to persue a political career, that is your choice,
but dont bring such influence to your friends, family and ReComers. keep it to yourself.

seems like you are not that respected compare to last time.
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#4 Old 27-10-2006 Default

This is a sharing of information, just like every other international statistic that is announced. I am raising such issues for discussion by fellow ReComers.

misled-youth points out a very important aspect. Methodology of calculating the ranking and it would definitely be great if you or any other ReComer could come forward to share about the way it is calculated.

I did a sharing on the methodology of Times Higher Education Supplement ranking, and it is definitely my hope to see fellow ReComers engage in intellectual sharing.

There is no such issue of whether it is pro-government or anti-government. It is about sharing information, and every ReComer is encouraged to share the facts of issues that are happening, as well as share out your opinion.

There are many ways to look at each issue, and of course, everything there are many interpretations, and I would hope that fellow ReComers would further analyze on those issues to understand and work on improving our country.

I'm not commenting that Malaysia is perfect or whatsoever. I am just putting the rankings in front of fellow Recomers to see the rise of Malaysia's ranking in this Worldwide Press Freedom Index. I have done similarly to bring up discussion of ReComers on other rankings, where Malaysia's ranking drops. It is an intellectual sharing and exchange.
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
misled_youth

#5 Old 27-10-2006 Default

Quote:
It is an intellectual sharing and exchange.
What's so intellectual about this post? You just posted something that was reported in the newspaper. A lot of us read newspapers and use RSS. We don't need your meanderings.

Did you share some of your 'intellectual' thoughts? Did you lay out your views for us to debate?

What you are doing is insipid, like iQing's stupid game posts and waste of bandwidth. Unless you dare to have your views scrutinised, don't bother posting.

Don't make us laugh by saying that you are encouraging "intellectual" debate. You are merely fulfilling your own agenda of making recom 'alive' and hoping that one day you'll get to become one of those sadistic BTN trainers.
taufiq Male
The Extra Lazy Anchor

#6 Old 28-10-2006 Default

I do think that the press have more freedom than before.
I hope it's a small step towards a bigger goal for Malaysia.
People in Malaysia might know better.
I'm not expecting a 100% change drastically.
I welcome any kind of change.. be it from the gov or non-gov.
taufiq is offline   Reply With Quote
plenipotentiary
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 29-10-2006 Default

chenchow, this is a very interesting article you have dug up. Its very refreshing to have an intellectual post. There are many intellectually insipid forum participants who make no effort at intellectual activity in all its forms. I believe the best way to overcome this prickly problem is to ignore in its entirety posts of this nature. To respond is to give undue credit to the emotional arguments of the unenlightened mind.

On to the article. Turkey, India and Thailand are all ranked below Malaysia. This seems interesting to me.
Turkey is vying for entry to the EU, and such a low press freedom ranking will not endear them to the EU bureaucrats in Brussels.
India is a little surprising for me because i understand that in the past couple of years high profile MPs have been exposed as accepting bribes to raise a ruckus in parliament or vote for certain bills. I took this to mean that the press in India is relatively free, or else how would the papers dare publish such exposes.
Thailand for me is another surprise for being so low. I suppose that could be due to the influence former premier Thaksin wielded with his close ties to the media. This of course could now change with a new government.

Georgia, Liberia and Moldova all lie above Malaysia. This is of course not encouraging news. In the first place, I don't even know where Liberia is on the African continent or where Moldova is in Central Europe. To think that they have greater press freedom than us is just baffling. Nonetheless, I suppose that its as you say, we need to work harder on this.
plenipotentiary is offline   Reply With Quote
CurbsideProphet
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 29-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misled_youth
Quote:
It is an intellectual sharing and exchange.
What's so intellectual about this post? You just posted something that was reported in the newspaper. A lot of us read newspapers and use RSS. We don't need your meanderings.

Did you share some of your 'intellectual' thoughts? Did you lay out your views for us to debate?

What you are doing is insipid, like iQing's stupid game posts and waste of bandwidth. Unless you dare to have your views scrutinised, don't bother posting.

Don't make us laugh by saying that you are encouraging "intellectual" debate. You are merely fulfilling your own agenda of making recom 'alive' and hoping that one day you'll get to become one of those sadistic BTN trainers.
So take it as he is posting it for the apparent 'minority' of people here which aren't as clever as you, or frequently visits newspapers and subscribes to RSS.

As far as I am concerned, everyone has a hidden motive. It's funny you should accuse chenchow of such when you yourself posted such a scathingly arrogant post because you can't bear to lose face.

If you think such reports are lies, please put your case forward intelectually and I would be happily interested in reading, instead of making meandering insufferably babyish insults that only makes your 'foe', by comparison, look much better.
CurbsideProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
misled_youth

#9 Old 30-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbsideProphet
bla bla bla
Go f*ck yourself.
plenipotentiary
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 30-10-2006 Default

CurbsideProphet, its really interesting that you chose to respond to what you have accurately termed 'babyish insults'. It brings me to a related value to press freedom, and that is freedom of expression.

To what extent should freedom of speech be allowed?
I am all for free speech, despite the sometimes unbearable burden of having to endure intellectual garbage. It is a case of "i may not agree with what you say, but i'll fight for your right to say it". To the ones abusing this privilege though, I really don't know what to say. I refuse to respond to them because that would be giving them too much credit, but kicking them out isn't the solution either, because the people who actually need this kind of discussion most are precisely those with all the wrong ideas. Without intelligent discussion, they would never progress beyond ignorance.

The purpose of having free flowing intellectual discussion is just so that, in the marketplace of ideas, the good ones will be picked up and the bad eliminated. The irony that i observe here is that good ideas receive little support and credit, and bad ideas or just plain bad language, gets more attention as everyone is so busy responding to the infantile argument they forget there is a bigger issue at hand. They eventually miss the mountain for the molehill.

In any case, I sincerely urge you to consider, for a moment, that truly the bad argument is the one that deserves the least attention. I hope you will ignore the taunts of those who don't know better and share your thoughts on the limits of freedom of speech (and the press, since thats what this thread is about).
plenipotentiary is offline   Reply With Quote