ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

We were once "Malaysians"

vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#1 Old 02-08-2010 Default We were once "Malaysians"

This will be the first of a series of threads that I will create to summarize the points that I have gained from the 4th Malaysian Student Leaders Summit 2010. This first post will contain Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah's opening address to the summit, "We were once 'Malaysians.'[quote][b]We were once

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vseehua For This Useful Post:
Seiryu
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 02-08-2010 Default Re: We were once "Malaysians"

Wow. Truly inspirational. A speech that actually makes you think.

The hurdle that our generation have to overcome in order for a massive transformation in the nation is no doubt, huge. But even the biggest hurdles can be obviated with determination... There is but one kind of hurdle that is hardest to overcome and is most disheartening to see: the hurdle intentionally placed to hinder change and growth of our intellectual strife.

What's even sadder is that, at the current political stage, the desire to place these hurdles crescendos with political power: the more powerful you are, the more desirable it is to utilize methods to keep the current situation intact, regardless of how squalid, dirty, or ignoble your methods can be. I am of course thinking about the mentioned ISA, OSA, UUCA, and implied minimum age limit in cabinet.

It is sad, when you want to make something better, but your boss doesn't want it to happen, and tries all he can to stop you from making things better. And that's what, i feel, is happening in our country.
The Student
Administrator

#3 Old 02-08-2010 Default Re: We were once "Malaysians"

The boss, in this case, will be the current ruling government. The real boss, the ones this boss is serving, however, are us, the people. The problem is, most Malaysians couldn't be bothered to know the real issues affecting the country, or couldn't be bother to do something about it, thinking that they actions are futile anyway.

Well, it is high time that Malaysians realize that they can make a real difference, a real tangible difference. If we, you and me, want to make that difference, please go and register as a voter. When the time comes, vote for the correct party. Before the time comes, be aware of what is happening. Engage your MP, ask him what is happening, ask him why the government is doing this and that. If you disagree, tell him, so that he may pass the input to the government.

There are lots to do, lots to sacrifice as well... But, in the name of making this country a better place for all, irrespective of religion and race, to live in...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#4 Old 05-08-2010 Default Re: We were once "Malaysians"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah View Post
You’re not the first generation to be bright. Mine wasn’t too stupid. But you could be the first generation of students and young graduates in 50 years to push this nation through a major transformation. And it is a transformation we need desperately.
Even though more youths have higher education now, I feel that many are not really bothered about what is going on in our country (apart from entertainment), what more about world issues. They only care when they need to do research for their assignments. Out of the many scholars in my college that I know, only a handful said they want to return and help improve the pitiful situation of our country after they have graduated. We may be bright but do all of us care and are willing to make a change for the better of our nation?

May you be well and happy!!! :)

Last edited by vseehua; 05-08-2010 at 11:05 PM.
yanno_yamster is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#5 Old 06-08-2010 Default Re: We were once "Malaysians"

I don't think that problem is limited to just the youths. I believe most Malaysians think the same way as well. As long as the decision doesn't make a direct impact on their lives, they won't bother about it. You can look at the letters published in the papers, most of them will be whining about how the latest government policies are "badly affecting" them in the short them, and not many will discuss about bigger issues that affects us all, directly or not...

sleevelesssky Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#6 Old 07-08-2010 Default Re: We were once "Malaysians"

Media manipulates information, hence the social apathy. Let us rejoice in the triumph of capitalism over democracy.
Slightly Senior Member

#7 Old 07-08-2010 Default Re: We were once "Malaysians"

Surprisingly when it comes to apathetic students, we are not alone. I was talking to a student from Cameroon the other day, and it surprised me how similar both Malaysia and Cameroon are in terms of secondary, tertiary education quality and the student mentality! We were both talking about how the students in our countries are trained to write examinations, applying formulas without knowing what exactly those formulas mean. Apart from that, humanity touch, activism, and global awareness are deemed unimportant because, they are not going to be tested!

The universities ought to make an overhaul to the system.

This is sad, because Malaysia is way ahead of Cameroon in terms of development. Cameroon doesn't even have highways, and yet our people have the similar mentality to theirs in terms of secondary and tertiary education!

Do you call this a third world mentality?
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#8 Old 08-08-2010 Default Re: We were once "Malaysians"

Third world, first world et cetera are outdated terms while to label a country as developed or developing is somewhat controversial. In addition there is nothing to be proud of when we are not alone in being socially apathetic.
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#9 Old 21-11-2010 Default Re: We were once "Malaysians"

I think it boils down to education. Lots of people don't think for the long-term because they didn't get that level of education - and also because they don't have a decent-paying job. When you're a poor fisherman (cliche, I know) you're not thinking about 10 years later (unless maybe you have a kid), you're thinking about the next few weeks and months. So anything that makes those next few weeks harder, even if it makes the 10 years better, doesn't look good to them.

Making use of the history we learnt in secondary school (underneath all that propaganda lies some truth) we do see that the educated bunch have always been the ones aware and actively campaigning. It's part of the reason we don't have the British still hanging over us after all. And while I can't say that ALL the educated people have been campaigning for the right thing, I can say that at least most of them can look at the bigger issues, the bigger picture.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote