ReCom.org
ReCom Kitchen For those who love food and cooking

Vegan recipes

surayahamdan Female

#1 Old 25-04-2011 Default Vegan recipes

Any vegans here? Care sharing some of your favorites?

Cheers
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 25-04-2011 Default Re: Vegan recipes

I'm not a vegetarian, but I once went on a three week vegan diet so I was forced to cook vegetarian dishes. I am quite fortunate to be living in a student coop as the walk-in fridge and pantry is almost always fully-stocked, so here's a dish I made after doing a little googling and improvisation

Ingredients:
3 1/2 C Vegetable Broth
1 C Uncooked Barley
1 C Button Mushrooms, sliced
1 C Diced Tomatoes, w/ juice
1/2 C Diced Onion
1 1/2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
2 Tbsp Cooking Wine (Can substitute for vinegar, but then use a lot less)
3/4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 C Chopped Almonds (Can substitute with peanuts)
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
1/2 Tsp Paprika
1/2 Tsp Parsley

1. Make vegetable broth: Basically diluting vegetable stock (eg. Knorr vegetable stock) with water. There should be directions on the label describing the stock:water ratio to use)
2. Cook the barley in the vegetable broth. To cook barley, first bring vegetable broth to the boil, then add barley, cover the pot and let simmer for 35-45 minutes. But in this recipe we will be adding other ingredients while it cooks.
3. Add oil to skillet/wok and medium heat. Throw in onions and mushrooms, saute till onions are clear and mushrooms are soft. Then set aside.
4. Add tomatoes w/ juice to the cooking barley at the 25-minute mark. Close pot.
5. Mix cooking wine/vinegar and lemon juice, then add to the cooking barley at the 30th-minute mark. Also add all spices except parsley. Stir evenly. Close pot.
6. When barley is almost cooked (soft to the bite, with a slightly firm center), add in sauteed onions and mushrooms, chopped almonds/peanuts. Stir evenly.
7. Remove and place on plate. Garnish with parsley.

The final product should have a slightly wet consistency. If not, then my bad, I might have overguessed on the broth amount.

Overall this is a western kinda dish. But I think the ingredients can easily be found locally. The lemon juice might overpower the flavor so a little care on that. I've never tried the vinegar option but that was my best guess at a substitute for cooking wine.
iKoMetaga is offline   Reply With Quote
surayahamdan Female

#3 Old 25-04-2011 Default Re: Vegan recipes

Hey thanks for the recipe!

I'm not a strict vegan either, but used to be

Anyone else wants to add more recipes - preferably "Malaysian" style veggie diets!
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 05-12-2011 Default Re: Vegan recipes

Oven-Baked SATAY TOFU recipe credit: beki post

3 Tofu Bricks (Firm)
8-10 Bamboo Skewers

Marinade
1/3 C Vegetable Oil
1/3 C Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce
1 tsp Coriander Powder @ serbuk...Ketumbar?
2 tsp TTumeric Powder @ kunyit
2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
6 Shallots @ bawang merah kecil
6 Cloves Garlic

Peanut Sauce
1 C Roasted Peanuts
10 Dried Chillies
2 Stalks Lemongrass
4 Shallots
5 Cloves Garlic
2 Inch Ginger
2 T Oil
1 T Sugar
1/2 C Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce
1 C Water
1/2 C Tamarind Pulp Juice @ asam juice

Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 deg F
2) Cut Tofu bricks into rectangular sizes. Bake in oven to dry the tofu out and harden it for 15 minutes. Once this step is down take tofu out and preheat to 450 def F
3) To prepare marinade, finely blend using mortal and pestle the shallots and garlic. Add spices (salt, coriander, kunyit, chilli powder) to the blended ingredients. Add vegetable oil, Sweet Soy Sauce and Sugar. Mix well.
4) Add marinade to tofu. Mix with marinade carefully to avoid breaking up tofu. Then marinade for 1-2 hours (Not sure if marinading longer will make a difference, I don't know if there even is a seepage rate for tofu)
5) In the meantime, to prepare peanut sauce, finely blend shallots, lemongrass, ginger, dried chillies including seeds and garlic. Be careful how you handle ginger and lemongrass, you don't want annoying fibrous hairs poking out from your sauce!)
6) Roughly crush peanuts till uniform, but not fine
7) Heat oil and add the blended ingredients. Fry the spices till fragrant, then add peanuts
Add liquid ingredients and bring to a simmer. Either simmer long time to thicken, or add corn starch + hot water blend (corn starch ew?). While waiting to thicken, proceed with next step...
9) Remove tofu from marinade and thread onto bamboo skewers. Baste with oil+sugar blend. Insert into the now 450 deg F oven. Bake for 20 min. At the 10th min mark, remove from oven, flip the tofu over, rebaste and re-insert into oven.
10) Serve with ketupat (if you know how to make them lawl, I know I don't) and cucumbers.

Note:
Measurements are within reasonable accuracy as I'm writing from memory.
I have not tried grilling them; I think it wouldn't turn out well.
Sorry for the non-SI measurements.
Slicking the tofu with some honey just before serving might be nice. Doing it while in the oven will just be a waste of the honey

Prolly non-related unless your a pescatarian, but does anyone have favorite online sites in the US to shop for Malaysian food products like sambal? I'm not always fortunate enough to have enough space to bring stuff during the rare moments that I go back home.

I found this site recently : http://www.malaysianfood.net/orderbelacan.htm
Anyone has any other sites in mind?

Last edited by iKoMetaga; 05-12-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
iKoMetaga is offline   Reply With Quote