ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Malaysia negara Kristian?

apambalik Male
Super Junior Member

#21 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Secularism is not the same as atheism....for example USA is legally a secular country (their 1st Amendment), but they still have Christian influence in their politics?

(Disclaimer due to constitutional consideration: The author is not commenting on Malaysian affairs in this post.)
i was thinking of the kind of atheism in soviet communism. wow so much -ism2! total banishment! no more religious influence!

but of course dont get me wrong i wouldnt go for that! neither would most msians. i do have faith in one all powerfull all knowing entity out there.

guess its hard to sideline religion cuz its so ingrained with humanity.

perhaps the human species juz have to evolve a bit more so as to detach basic humans emotions of hate, selfishness n etc from religion itself even though religion itselft reeks of those same emotions so its a great big paradox.
(u might notice my writing lacks clarity n definiteness cuz my writing is dictated by my train of thought hahaha there it goes again love this forum)
apambalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#22 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apambalik View Post
secularism is the way to go. religion no matter what it is should be considered sacred and should not meddle with all that filth we call politics.

but perhaps secularism is a bit too much? atheism? unthinkable to most msians. sigh. if everyone thinks like i do hmm world would be a better place but then again boredom shall ensue.
Life need conflicts and that makes life worth living for
what is wrong with atheism?
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male

#23 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

Quote:
i was thinking of the kind of atheism in soviet communism. wow so much -ism2! total banishment! no more religious influence!
I'm not familiar with (read: have no idea about) cold-war politics and the communists' ideologies, but I think the kind of oppression has more to do with ideological fanaticism or totalitarian rule instead of atheism itself.

I mean, people suffer (depends also actually) both under a theocracy or atheistic totalitarian rule.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
apambalik Male
Super Junior Member

#24 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
what is wrong with atheism?
hope im not offending anyone but i feel disturbed by the idea cuz my mind is more like daisies n sunshine. TO ME embracing atheism is to embrace all that is dark n gloomy (i dont bout u tho so dont feel offended)

hinging on the belief that there's a one omnipotent entity out there gives me comfort but that entity is not what most religions make it up to be. so thats my philosophy.

a quote i like to ponder on from the movie Kingdom of Heaven:
"if he is god he will understand"
main character's response to a priest against the burning of corpses for fear of their salvation. burning corpses was a way in medieval times to avoid infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I'm not familiar with (read: have no idea about) cold-war politics and the communists' ideologies, but I think the kind of oppression has more to do with ideological fanaticism or totalitarian rule instead of atheism itself.

I mean, people suffer (depends also actually) both under a theocracy or atheistic totalitarian rule.
thank u for clarifying n bearing with my ignorance.i've been in a former soviet country and people there say soviet communism forces atheism in their beliefs. n yes they do suffer spiritually.pity them. struggling to find meaning.

Last edited by apambalik; 09-05-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#25 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

I think atheists simply feel that they do not need the comfort of having a god around to live, and that the world simply exists because it exists. A religious teacher once said to never question the origins of god. But if we ask how the universe and everything in it came about, the next thing we should ask is how god came to be, why he created everything, etc. It's like the 'which came first, the chicken or the egg' conundrum. Humans can claim that they know god has grand schemes, but are we really in any position to say such things? Who are we to claim that we know what god thinks, whether or not he has grand schemes? We will simply never know, and the people who do know are in no position to tell us.
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
apambalik Male
Super Junior Member

#26 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
I think atheists simply feel that they do not need the comfort of having a god around to live, and that the world simply exists because it exists. A religious teacher once said to never question the origins of god. But if we ask how the universe and everything in it came about, the next thing we should ask is how god came to be, why he created everything, etc. It's like the 'which came first, the chicken or the egg' conundrum. Humans can claim that they know god has grand schemes, but are we really in any position to say such things? Who are we to claim that we know what god thinks, whether or not he has grand schemes? We will simply never know, and the people who do know are in no position to tell us.
yup there's no end to this discussion, till then let us dictate life's meaning from our own intuition

Last edited by apambalik; 09-05-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: typo
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#27 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

Quote:
hope im not offending anyone but i feel disturbed by the idea cuz my mind is more like daisies n sunshine. TO ME embracing atheism is to embrace all that is dark n gloomy (i dont bout u tho so dont feel offended)

hinging on the belief that there's a one omnipotent entity out there gives me comfort but that entity is not what most religions make it up to be. so thats my philosophy.

a quote i like to ponder on from the movie Kingdom of Heaven:
"if he is god he will understand"
main character's response to a priest against the burning of corpses for fear of their salvation. burning corpses was a way in medieval times to avoid infection

thank u for clarifying n bearing with my ignorance.i've been in a former soviet country and people there say soviet communism forces atheism in their beliefs. n yes they do suffer spiritually.pity them. struggling to find meaning.
Then I pity you, for failing to see the meaning from the other side of the fence. There are lots of ways that people can find meaning to life, not just from God himself. No one, deserves scorn just because he don't believe in another's religion.

The basic tenet of peace is understanding. If we refuse to accept others as they are, regardless of race, religion, and even political belief, there will never, ever be peace. Shake away that pity or yours, no one needs it.

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vseehua For This Useful Post:
apambalik Male
Super Junior Member

#28 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseehua View Post
Then I pity you, for failing to see the meaning from the other side of the fence. There are lots of ways that people can find meaning to life, not just from God himself. No one, deserves scorn just because he don't believe in another's religion.

The basic tenet of peace is understanding. If we refuse to accept others as they are, regardless of race, religion, and even political belief, there will never, ever be peace. Shake away that pity or yours, no one needs it.
well ok its just that those pple in former soviet union were forced to accept atheism so basically it was against their will and its only logical for me to think its unfair. they shud be given a choice n now ussr's gone n they do hv a choice n thats that.

but hey in the spirit of goodwill n peace please let me extend my apology.i believe i didnt exercise much caution expressing my views here. senstive issues right? we r only human.
The Following User Says Thank You to apambalik For This Useful Post:
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#29 Old 09-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

Quote:
well ok its just that those pple in former soviet union were forced to accept atheism so basically it was against their will and its only logical for me to think its unfair. they shud be given a choice n now ussr's gone n they do hv a choice n thats that.

but hey in the spirit of goodwill n peace please let me extend my apology.i believe i didnt exercise much caution expressing my views here. senstive issues right? we r only human.
Good on you I appreciate that you've made your opinion known, and I don't think you've exactly offended anybody - even if you don't particularly identify or understand, it's nice to see that you're keeping an open mind and not blasting the opposing arguments. Fair enough, I think. If only everyone did.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas92 For This Useful Post:
shuwenteo
Cremated

#30 Old 10-05-2011 Default Re: Malaysia negara Kristian?

'Christian plot' blog entry deleted, Khairy asks why?

http://malaysiakini.com/news/163807
shuwenteo is offline   Reply With Quote