ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Sports Bar

ReCom Sports Bar Talk about your favorite sports here

Martial arts anyone?

Raikage Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 09-07-2011 Wink Martial arts anyone?

Does anyone here do any form of martial arts, be it, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, MMA, Wushu, Karate, TKD, Judo, Aikido, etc?

Where you guys learning?

Last edited by Xon; 09-07-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholasng925 Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#2 Old 09-07-2011 Default Re: Martial arts anyone?

Taekwondo back in school!

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
=[{Albert Einstein}]=

Feel free to visit my blog here!!!
Nicholasng925 is offline   Reply With Quote
jessica9310 Female
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 09-07-2011 Default Re: Martial arts anyone?

Wushu back in primary school!!!
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 09-07-2011 Default Re: Martial arts anyone?

Most people start out with taekwondo, wushu, karate because they are the ones usually available in high school. If you're pretty mobile and live in a city you have access to other less popular forms. Before joining one, always ask yourself, do I want to learn those flashy kicks in taekwondo or do I want to learn something boring yet effective in real-life situations like Brazilian Ju Jitsu. Of course joining any martial arts will increase your endurance, awareness, speed, strength but then you risk overestimating your abilities. Remember Canny Ong? She had a black belt in TKD, yet she got ferried into the car without even so much as slapping her assailants face, could we even hope for a roundhouse to the gut? It's fear and uncertainty *can I really hurt him with my punch? what if he gets really angry that I hit him?* that strips away all your years of martial arts training in the moment that you need it the most. That's why I'm always skeptical whenever a training center advertises in big letters "LEARN SELF-DEFENSE". Face it, not everyone is born brave, not everyone is born strong.
So do your research first before joining a martial arts. Don't walk around with false confidence.
iKoMetaga is offline   Reply With Quote
hazelyi Female
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 10-07-2011 Default Re: Martial arts anyone?

haha... i was previously in taekwondo since primary... started learning wushu when i went to junior college in singapore... hehe...
hazelyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Raikage Male
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 10-07-2011 Default Re: Martial arts anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelyi View Post
haha... i was previously in taekwondo since primary... started learning wushu when i went to junior college in singapore... hehe...

what kind of wushu with which instructor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKoMetaga View Post
Most people start out with taekwondo, wushu, karate because they are the ones usually available in high school. If you're pretty mobile and live in a city you have access to other less popular forms. Before joining one, always ask yourself, do I want to learn those flashy kicks in taekwondo or do I want to learn something boring yet effective in real-life situations like Brazilian Ju Jitsu. Of course joining any martial arts will increase your endurance, awareness, speed, strength but then you risk overestimating your abilities. Remember Canny Ong? She had a black belt in TKD, yet she got ferried into the car without even so much as slapping her assailants face, could we even hope for a roundhouse to the gut? It's fear and uncertainty *can I really hurt him with my punch? what if he gets really angry that I hit him?* that strips away all your years of martial arts training in the moment that you need it the most. That's why I'm always skeptical whenever a training center advertises in big letters "LEARN SELF-DEFENSE". Face it, not everyone is born brave, not everyone is born strong.
So do your research first before joining a martial arts. Don't walk around with false confidence.

well analyse, do u practice any then?

yea, not only her case, i think got few cases the victim is a black belt in something, whether guy or girl, in the end still died or hurt.

The most recent one i recalled in the jiujitsu instructor in seri kembangan got killed by 3 attackers in his own dojo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholasng925 View Post
Taekwondo back in school!
Nicky: TUC oso got TKD wat, u no join?

Last edited by Raikage; 10-07-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
vampiric_guy_01 Male

#7 Old 11-07-2011 Default Re: Martial arts anyone?

TKD at primary then continue at secondary school... 1st dan black belt ;D

God made us with a reason and give us the best path... i'm here with a reason and so are you....
Be the best of yourself and live life
vampiric_guy_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholasng925 Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#8 Old 11-07-2011 Default Re: Martial arts anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikage View Post
Nicky: TUC oso got TKD wat, u no join?
No haha.. lazy to join.

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
=[{Albert Einstein}]=

Feel free to visit my blog here!!!
Nicholasng925 is offline   Reply With Quote