ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Decrease in the number of students taking Spm chinese paper

elaine86
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 07-09-2004 Default Decrease in the number of students taking Spm chinese paper

hello guys ..let's discuss bout this..i noticed tat in the past few years the number of chinese students who take chinese paper in SPM is decreasing tremendously...i mean students who are from chinese primary school..some of them give up taking chinese after UPSR..
in my school, during my bach the whole chinese student in my class took chinese..but let's see what happen to my junioryear..more than 80% of them drop chinese paper...i was shocked .When asked,their reason is, it is difficult n almost impossible to get an A1 for chinese paper,,,i myself din't get an A1 either ..but i have no regrets for taking tat paper..Nowadays everyone puts so much effort in getting more n more As..until they even give up learning something tat is so important -their mother tongue!why are they becoming so coward? juz becoz it is difficult that they choose to give up.or is it becoz of the pressure to get all As in order to secure JPA sholarship or other scholarships?what steps can be taken so that the younger generation will love and appreciate their mother tongue?
elaine86 is offline   Reply With Quote
digimushu Male
Prototyper

#2 Old 07-09-2004 Default

I say it starts at home. To be able to love a language, you must use it on a regular basis to not even notice your usage of it in your life. e.g. I despised BM because it is something i learn but i most probably wont use it unless i go to wet markets(no, i won't use it when talking with colleagues about technical stuff). OTOH, mastery of some foreign language will give someone a certain edge in interviews if the companies are looking for translators. Humans have this natural fear of the unknown, hence if you suck at a language, you are less inclined to pick it up.

AFAIK, English is still the primary medium for science and technology subjects and I think it should be like that(disagree? try listening to Chinese prof. who thinks in chinese and teaches in English*cringe*).

Although Chinese may be your mother tongue, it does not mean that it may be the best language for your profession. There is no use in presenting your work if nobody understands you.

just my thoughts...Questions? Comments?
ElansarGelmir Male

#3 Old 07-09-2004 Default

well, some parents do not encourage their children to learn it because first, they want to emphasize on math and English on their children, and secondly, learning chinese requires lots of memorizing, so it's kinda hard, and that means it's kinda hard to score an A in PMR or SPM or UPSR... most of my friends from Chung Ling got 7As 1 C in PMR my year. The C? yeah, Chinese... it's not that their Chinese is lousy.
ReComer
Administrator

#4 Old 07-09-2004 Default

Frankly, number of students taking Chinese in the whole country has been on the increase.

I found that in 1999, 37988 students took Chinese in SPM. I don't have the exact statistic for 2003, but I think it is about 50,000 candidates. Anyone with the actual statistics?

And it is not that difficult to get As. Nearly 300 candidates from my school get A for Chinese in SPM. For PMR, it is nearly 90% As for Chinese.
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
lzyee
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 07-09-2004 Default

hello,
hey chen chow ,i think u might be right years ago ,but now i don't think there are more than 10 manage to get A1 for chinese in SPM in for ur school last year.
by the way, in my school ...only 4 students got A1 for chinese in SPM and that's a big number of student liao in my state,i think.
However, as a chinese ,i would say chinese should take chinese paper though i only got A2 in the paper...
lzyee is offline   Reply With Quote
gatecrasher
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 07-09-2004 Default

chen chow, your school is jit sin worr... not every school can produce results like that.
besides, hasn't anyone heard rumors of a biased grading system in malaysian public exams? warning: sensitive issue coming up
biased against non-bumiputeras, that is. if the rumor is true, it explains why it's easier to score in subjects like bahasa melayu, math, science etc. and i may be wrong but in secondary school, i got the impression that it wasn't too hard to do well at pend. islam, whereas those taking moral were baffled no end.
if i hadn't suspected that the system was rigged against me, i might *just might* have taken a chance with the spm mandarin paper. though of course, i considered the fact that chinese is certainly not my strength (!) and that i might neglect other subjects to prepare for the mandarin paper.
any comments?
gatecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Steppe
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 07-09-2004 Default

Please do not be 'fooled' by the fact that if one gets straight As, one will get JPA. There are so many of us 10 A1s students who did not get the JPA despite appeals.

If one is good in Chinese, try Taiwan. Fees are a lot cheaper. Medicine and dentistry degrees are recoginsed. This can be an option.
Steppe is offline   Reply With Quote
yekban81 Male

#8 Old 07-09-2004 Default

IMO, we should proud that chinese (mandarin) subject maintains her standard after long years. Not like other subject, of which the "significant" increment of A scorer or percentage of passing throughout the years may cast doubt in us regarding to the standard of the examination. I might be wrong, but I felt the standard of SPM 1998(the year I took SPM) was low based on the result among my batch.
Just felt that something was wrong with the marking system.
yekban81 is offline   Reply With Quote
yekban81 Male

#9 Old 07-09-2004 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppe
Please do not be 'fooled' by the fact that if one gets straight As, one will get JPA. There are so many of us 10 A1s students who did not get the JPA despite appeals.

If one is good in Chinese, try Taiwan. Fees are a lot cheaper. Medicine and dentistry degrees are recoginsed. This can be an option.
Are you sure about this statement? I thought the government doesn't recognise any degree/diploma/cert from Taiwan due to politics reason.
yekban81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Steppe
Less Junior Member

#10 Old 07-09-2004 Default

For medicine, you need to do 2 years of housemanship in Malaysia instead of 1 year for other medical students. However, medicine and dentistry are being recognised in Malaysia. You have to pass a Board exams in Taiwan and then do 2 years of housemanship here. You can check it out on the URL which Chen Chow gives somewhere in Recom.

However, medical and dentistry students seem not keen to come back to Malaysia nowadays because upon one year housemanship in Taiwan, a doctor can earn about RM 20,000 + in Taiwan.
Steppe is offline   Reply With Quote