ReCom.org
ReCom Language and Literature Corner Want to teach a cool language? Have some literature you want to share with others? This is the place to be

Studying A Foreign Language

kaze
Less Junior Member

#81 Old 30-01-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinon View Post
Thanks kaze you help me greatly . I didn't learn the details on japanese language rather i learn the vocabulary that is use in modern day interaction. For example, school = gakko and some sentences, But nevertheless, it widens my perspective on nihongo so thank you.

Now the only problem (well for now) is how long will it take till a person can write and say those sentences from a beginner's point. 3 months? 3 weeks? 3 years? >.<
You're very much welcome. I'm glad I can help.

To write hiragana and katakana won't take that long. I mastered hiragana in less than 2 weeks. Katakana took me longer than that because I lack the motivation. Kanji is surprisingly more fun to me, but it's hard to learn how to write kanji correctly from websites, which reminds me-- If you're planning to learn how to write in Japanese, please make sure to learn the stroke order and the ending before you attempt to write. Once you had the wrong stroke order and ending, it's REALLY REALLY hard to correct them.

When I first begin studying Japanese, I knew only simple sentences like noun + particle + noun + coupla verb (ie. watashi wa gakusei desu). Then, the sentences get longer and longer. To be able to make longer sentences, well, it depends on how you study, I guess. It took me around 3 months to understand particles wa, ga, ni, to, (w)o, no, de, ka, yo, and ne. There are a few other particles, but I'm not there yet.

I'm not fluent yet, I don't think I'll be fluent in the next few months. But now, I'm learning how to say the same meaning in different ways in Japanese.
Super Junior Member

#82 Old 31-01-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

kaze i feel like your trying to master the japanese language itself. Wow i'm very impress! its not easy to learn them, i just wanted to learn so i can speak sentences to make sense. But now i feel like i want to the same . Starting tomorrow(or tomorow's tomorrow) I'll begin to study languages more seriously.

I do have a good website that contains learning japanese language if you want i can post them that is if can? Anyway, I only learn to write katakana i think its the first form of japenese writing (now forgot so long ago did) i'll try to learn them back and move to the other stages of writing. Going to be a long 3 months for me to learn them though.. but i suppose it will be exciting
Less Junior Member

#83 Old 01-02-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

Kinon,

Please share the website that you mentioned before on this thread. I'm sure many other recommers will find it helpful too.

Note that Recom has a few threads dedicated for those who want to learn Japanese. The threads contain notes and FAQs, posts by Luke are especially helpful. Of course, you also can post your own question if you ever have doubt.
HERE is the link to one of them.

Wishing you all the best in learning languages.
Super Junior Member

#84 Old 01-02-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

try livemocha.com
it helps me alot
daoss is offline   Reply With Quote
poohshao Male
Super Junior Member

#85 Old 02-02-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

i am not so ''ambitious'' to learn foreign language
i m only interested in learning Tamil ( i m a chinese guy btw)
Tamil seems to me is a very interesting and unique language
any idea how n where to start?
poohshao is offline   Reply With Quote
kinon Male
Super Junior Member

#86 Old 04-02-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

kaze thanks! then i will post it here it took me a while to find this website. And btw an extra for generality of languages here it has its own forum as well and plus side alot of aspiring polyglot(people that can talk in many languages) often go there to discuss i think. And don't worry both are free and good. Also they do mention about pimsleur guide to language is also good.

daos thanks for the info i've heard of livemocha before i'll try and use it.
poohshao that's quite the interest if you want try the websites that been stated here and try to use youtube and wikipedia to its full use good luck!

Last edited by kinon; 04-02-2011 at 07:30 AM.
kinon is offline   Reply With Quote
vampiric_guy_01 Male

#87 Old 06-03-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

wow.... such a long post here.... i'm currently learning German aka. Deutsch 2nd semester as well as doing my A levels...

Hi , and nice to meet you guys ^^

God made us with a reason and give us the best path... i'm here with a reason and so are you....
Be the best of yourself and live life
vampiric_guy_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
iAdoreNaz Male

#88 Old 03-04-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

I'm currently learning Korean Language ( Hangeul ).
Can read . Not fluent, and cannot understand the meaning yet.
=].
iAdoreNaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Laavania Female
Super Junior Member

#89 Old 22-04-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohshao View Post
i am not so ''ambitious'' to learn foreign language
i m only interested in learning Tamil ( i m a chinese guy btw)
Tamil seems to me is a very interesting and unique language
any idea how n where to start?
Nice to hear this from a Chinese guy when many Indian them self neglecting to learn their own language.I am a Indian girl and i managed to learn mandarin from dramas and movies.I am sure it would work the same way for you.Books may help but only for a certain extend.
Laavania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laavania For This Useful Post:
AlternateF4 Male

#90 Old 24-04-2011 Default Re: Studying A Foreign Language

Learning in another language allows you to think in a different perspective, what say you guys?
I don't write the same content for the same essay in different languages(eg, bm, chinese, bi)
AlternateF4 is offline   Reply With Quote