ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

FORM 6 schedule tiring?

lookingaround
Super Junior Member

#11 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
The sad part is that when it comes to R&D, Malaysians are just good in copy-and-paste work.
Want to get First Class Degree in university? Generally, you can compare and see differences between a Malaysian First Class Degree student and a U.K. First Class Degree student. If you think you are a quite lazy but "highly-ambitioned" student, try to befriend with some top students and have group study with them. The reason, you should know... If in UK, plagiarism equals to death sentence.

Quote:
My friends, there are a lot of scholars under PETRONAS sponsorship who scored a CGPA of 3.8 or 3.9 and yet they are not taken by PETRONAS to work there. Many of such people have ended up in small companies. Reason? They didn't do well in the interview sessions.
Henry, i am a petronas scholar too. Many does not believe i can get a PETRONAS scholarship with my kind of STPM result, and still my CGPA now is about the same as my STPM result , so does it mean i have a relatively higher chance to get into PETRONAS later?
lookingaround is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#12 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post
i'm a stpm student.

yes , i do agree that R&D important . though, it does not contribute to the exam . hence , if one did not take part in R&D would not make a differents.

Secondly, not many have the stamina to continue studying till 4pm
Many university courses require you to study from 8am till 5pm. On top of that, there are lots of project work to be completed with not-too-long-into-the-future due dates as well. A lot of students didn't have much time to rest at all. You can ask Glassy about this.

Pardon me, but your opinion is exactly the reason why many Malaysian graduates failed to find jobs after graduation...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#13 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround View Post
Henry, i am a petronas scholar too. Many does not believe i can get a PETRONAS scholarship with my kind of STPM result, and still my CGPA now is about the same as my STPM result , so does it mean i have a relatively higher chance to get into PETRONAS later?
No, that's not what I meant. The thing is you should understand that while academic excellence is important, performing well during the interview is just as important. If you display good oratory skills, good leadership capabilities and the ability to solve crises in a well and professional manner with good managerial, economical or engineering judgement, then you are somebody that the company would like to have.

Employers today would also believe that learning does not stop after university. As long as you are open to learning and have the right attitude and aptitude, there's no reason why you can't climb the corporate ladder despite having a CGPA of, say, 2.50. Some people learn better when they do things hands-on, others by just mugging up textbooks. We recognise that there is no hard and fast rule that the best way to learn is by the textbooks, so that it does not imply that if you fail your exams, then you are not learning or that you are unintelligent.

Everybody has the capacity to learn, but not everybody has the right attitude and the right approach to learning and interacting with other people. If you are a CGPA 4.00 scorer with a mouth that virtually does not utter a single word during the course of the day, then what's the point? We don't want people who can just score 4.00 CGPA, we want people who can express themselves and say out their thoughts so that we can share ideas and correct them if necessary so as to clarify all the misconceptions. Only then will learning take place, and it stays intact in your brain.

Simply speaking, if I were the recruiter, and a person with a CGPA of 3.00 and another with CGPA of 3.80 were to apply for a job, I would call the both of them for the interview. From here, I will do further assessment of both the candidates' abilities. If both of them can equally well in the interview and there's only one vacancy, then naturally I'd award it to the one with the CGPA of 3.80. If both perform lousily in the interview, I may not even take any of them at all! But if the one with a CGPA of 3.00 displays good oratory skills, good crisis-solving skills, and good engineering judgement but the one with a CGPA of 3.80 could only produce textbook facts and nothing more, then the latter would have to go elsewhere - I would take in the one with CGPA of 3.00. A CGPA of 3.00 is good enough for a lot of companies, and as long as you're willing to learn, the score is but just a figure, nothing more.

So, in the end, academic excellence is not THE factor that determines whether you get a job or not. Therefore, things like R&D and other form of work for the current STPM students shouldn't be viewed as a waste of time.

Last edited by henry_yew; 09-12-2009 at 10:45 AM.
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to henry_yew For This Useful Post:
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#14 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

I agree entirely with Henry's opinion of "there should be a lot more to an education than merely academic excellence". There are so many other skills that a graduate needs to possess in order to impress potential employers.

And yes, the excuse that things are taxing and stressful for a student at STPM level is a very poor one. Let's face it; things won't get any better in university, AND you're definitely expected to balance a whole array of extra-curriculars/non-syllabus related assignments on your plate. My friend in NTU is given truckloads of assignments that only finish maybe a week or two before his semester exams, and some of these assignments are only for his relatively unimportant elective subjects which have nothing to do with the actual content of his main degree. And if you want to keep university accommodation over there, you need to be actively involved in extra-curriculars.

Myself, my university happily gives about 4 to 8 times more work than other universities do for the same course/qualification. [Made a direct comparison with friends from other unis who were appalled at my workload]. Nobody here complains. People just suck it up and deal with things, AND they get involved in extra-curricular activities as well. If they have to pull an all-nighter, so be it. If they have to work from 9 to 5 so they can take the evening off, so be it.

Because let's face it, things aren't going to get easier when you start working either!

Probably the only reason why people are complaining so much about this new system is because it is new. Nobody was prepared for the extra difficulty of the system, thus everybody was caught out of their comfort zone like a deer caught in headlights, which they evidently did not appreciate. If a particular system has been established and working for quite some time, people are less inclined to complain because it'd make them look stupid while everyone else is busy dealing with it. In my school, the system was very similar [school only ends at 4.30PM; if you've got co-curriculars, 6.00PM], but it had been around for long by the time I got to it, so nobody I knew whined.

I'd say give it a bit more time and the whining should hopefully stop. Either way, I do hope that the government doesn't make any "kneejerk" moves like reversing the changes due to these complaints. -_-;;

---

P.S. Here's the best part though! When they fail to get jobs due to reasons like lousy performance in interviews, etc, I bet those students would still be the first to complain and blame the education system for not preparing them for the onslaught to come. >_>

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassylicious For This Useful Post:
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#15 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassylicious View Post
When they fail to get jobs due to reasons like lousy performance in interviews, etc, I bet those students would still be the first to complain and blame the education system for not preparing them for the onslaught to come. >_>
This is gold.

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
ling910520 Male
Less Junior Member

#16 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Quote:
If a particular system has been established and working for quite some time, people are less inclined to complain because it'd make them look stupid while everyone else is busy dealing with it.

---

>_>
did u mean that if a system exist for long time and people are not complaint about it , then we should get used to it ??
ling910520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#17 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling910520 View Post
did u mean that if a system exist for long time and people are not complaint about it , then we should get used to it ??
I can see where you're trying to go with this.

No, I didn't say that. I'd like to draw your attention to a specific phrase of my sentence which you may have missed. Allow me to clarify.

Quote:
If a particular system has been established and working for quite some time, people are less inclined to complain because it'd make them look stupid while everyone else is busy dealing with it.
It's not just any system. It's any system that works and produces positive results. Sure, it may be troublesome for those Form Six students who have yet to get used to it, but in the long run it will probably bring a lot of good results. My school did something like this, and it has always produced great results in terms of the total number of A's we get, top state-level students we have, 0% failing rate, etc. It is a system that works and does what it is supposed to do. Thus, nobody complains, despite the extra trouble it imposes.

If a system clearly is not working out [by this I mean producing the expected results], I don't think the complaints would stop even given any length of time.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#18 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Truth be told, if only somebody or somehow all the outcome of this discussion can be sent back to the ever whining author of the original article.

We really need to ask the author: are they in pursuit of A's, or in pursuit of knowledge? Both are not really the same, you know.

Sometimes people just look at things in the short-term period. If they don't fail to plan ahead, then I suppose they just plan to fail. Thus all the laughable excuses, i.e. skin cancer.

P/S: When I heard about people saying that exams should be abolished so that we can save the trees, I thought this was funny enough. Never expected that the "skin cancer" part would come, too! Aren't Malaysians just excellent for their excuses?
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#19 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Quote:
When I heard about people saying that exams should be abolished so that we can save the trees, I thought this was funny enough.
Who said that?

youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#20 Old 09-12-2009 Default Re: FORM 6 schedule tiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
Who said that?
look online. I believe there is a facebook group for that as well...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote