ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Public Speaking Competition 2007

Anduril
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 28-02-2007 Default Public Speaking Competition 2007

Has anyone participated in the Public Speaking Competition organised by ESU and The Star? It would be great to have them share their experience here since this year's is about to commence!
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
sunshine88
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 28-02-2007 Default

How come i don't know this news before?????
Anyone has the link..?
when is the competition?
sunshine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
andrewlza Male

#3 Old 01-03-2007 Default

The ESUM Public Speaking Competition?

http://www.esumalaysia.com.my/s_public.htm
http://www.esumalaysia.com.my/s_public_2005.htm
http://www.esumalaysia.com.my/s_public_2004.htm

Google for more.

Last year it started somewhere in February and ended in March, if I'm not mistaken.
andrewlza is offline   Reply With Quote
andrewlza Male

#4 Old 01-03-2007 Default

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...950&sec=nation
Anduril
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 01-03-2007 Default

Thanks andrewlza. Wow, I think you were one of the national finalists last year. I hope you could clarity some questions here.

1)Regional finalists today spoke on the given theme which was ?Mapping The Global Future" - each of them will had 5 minutes to deliver their speech and thereafter were subject to 2 questions from our panel of judges.

From what I understand, we have to prepare beforehand one speech for the first heat, and there will be an impromptu speech for the second heat. Could it be that the "two questions" asked based on our own prepared speech or are they the same for all participants?

2) Are participants given any amount to time to mull over what to say prior to the imromptu speech? (In school, we were given about 3 minutes to jot down what to say.)

3) Are there any difference between 'theme' and 'topic'? This year, the preliminary round is based on the theme "Dynamic Earth". The semifinal is on the topic "Straw that broke the camel's back".

This competition seems intimidating. I am thinking of whether to give it a try.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#6 Old 01-03-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril
Thanks andrewlza. Wow, I think you were one of the national finalists last year. I hope you could clarity some questions here.

1)Regional finalists today spoke on the given theme which was ?Mapping The Global Future" - each of them will had 5 minutes to deliver their speech and thereafter were subject to 2 questions from our panel of judges.

From what I understand, we have to prepare beforehand one speech for the first heat, and there will be an impromptu speech for the second heat. Could it be that the "two questions" asked based on our own prepared speech or are they the same for all participants?

2) Are participants given any amount to time to mull over what to say prior to the imromptu speech? (In school, we were given about 3 minutes to jot down what to say.)

3) Are there any difference between 'theme' and 'topic'? This year, the preliminary round is based on the theme "Dynamic Earth". The semifinal is on the topic "Straw that broke the camel's back".

This competition seems intimidating. I am thinking of whether to give it a try.
Anduril, do hope that you give it a try. While it might seem intimidating, the exposure learned would be good learning experience for you. After all, you have free time now, may as well try to develop public speaking in English.

Hopefully, would see a number of ReComers taking part!

Good Luck!
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Tourist
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 01-03-2007 Default

If you like to have a venue to practice public speaking & leadership skills, you could check out Toastmasters International clubs that's practically present in every major town in Malaysia. They are supposedly the world largest non-profit organization in providing these sorts of soft skills. I used the word ?venue? because like learning to ride a bicycle, you need to constantly practice and you need venue for that. You can?t pick these skills up in some high powered workshop over a weekend.

http://www.toastmasters.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toastmasters_International
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
andrewlza Male

#8 Old 02-03-2007 Default

Quote:

the format is such:
1. preliminaries
2. semifinals
3. national finals

you are supposed to have 2 speeches prepared before the prelims.

prelims:
1. you will be divided into a few groups. kl-pj is intense; i think we account for a full half of total participants? we probably had 13 groups of 10 people each. you present the first prepared speech, which in your case is based on the theme "dynamic earth".
2. after that, every person will be assigned a different theme for his impromptu speech. and yep you do get time to prepare.

semis:
1. only one or two individuals per group (again, from the kl-pj perspective) will make it through to the semis. you will now present your second prepared speech: the straw that broke the camel's back.

prelims and semis will take place on the same day. after each speech, the adjudicators will ask you one or two questions based on the content of your speech.

if you do get chosen for the national finals, they will call you up some time after the semis.

finals: you present your speech for "dynamic earth" again. then you get the questions again. voila. gao dim. top two finishers go to london.

Quote:
effectively, no.

good luck!
Scope
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 02-03-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlza
1. you will be divided into a few groups. kl-pj is intense; i think we account for a full half of total participants? we probably had 13 groups of 10 people each. you present the first prepared speech, which in your case is based on the theme "dynamic earth".
We are divided in groups? But that is essentially to make things easy for them right, not like we are going to discuss something together or what.

Quote:
2. after that, every person will be assigned a different theme for his impromptu speech. and yep you do get time to prepare.
Say, what kind of difficult topic they are going give us? Do you remember yours, andrewlza?

Quote:
prelims and semis will take place on the same day. after each speech, the adjudicators will ask you one or two questions based on the content of your speech.
So we have to hold back after our speech and wait for them to bombard us questions? I thought there is supposed to be a time limit for each speech... And roughly how long should we answer for each question?
Scope is offline   Reply With Quote
andrewlza Male

#10 Old 02-03-2007 Default

Yes, no, and up to you.