ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

celestial_sacred Female

#1 Old 03-02-2010 Default All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

Dear all, this thread is specially for those who are applying for courses in the National University of Singapore (NUS) this year. Feel free to discuss anything related to the thread.

Anyone aiming for NUS? Or as a backup plan?

Oh gosh, time flies. I feel old. o___o

More on my experience (maybe a step-to-step guide) of the extremely-long-and-super-confusing-admission-application-procedures to NUS as an STPM-leaver will be updated~

Last edited by celestial_sacred; 14-02-2010 at 03:43 AM.
celestial_sacred is offline   Reply With Quote
XterNalz Male

#2 Old 03-02-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

I'm applying to NUS (School of Computing) with Advanced Placement qualification (which doesn't involve STPM). I would like to ask a few questions.

Can I submit a letter of recommendation even though NUS says it is not required? I think it will be quite significant because it is written by a quite renowned person.

Should I submit my university transcripts? I'm currently doing Foundation in IT at Multimedia University. My CGPA is pretty fine.

Thanks.

Last edited by XterNalz; 03-02-2010 at 10:44 PM.
XterNalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Xon
lazy bunny
Administrator

#3 Old 03-02-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

I am interested to school of computing,but the opening for STPM is still not open yet. Impatient. LOL.

Federation of Malaysia is formed by Sarawak, North Borneo, Malaya (and Singapore) by 16 Sept 1963. It has nothing to do with 31 Aug 1957. Just saying.
Xon is offline   Reply With Quote
missyrainy Female
Less Junior Member

#4 Old 04-02-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

I'm planning to apply for Bachelor of Arts Is it very difficult to get into the Bachelor of Arts as what I heard, there are many students who are aiming for it.
missyrainy is offline   Reply With Quote
celestial_sacred Female

#5 Old 14-02-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XterNalz View Post
Can I submit a letter of recommendation even though NUS says it is not required? I think it will be quite significant because it is written by a quite renowned person.

Should I submit my university transcripts? I'm currently doing Foundation in IT at Multimedia University. My CGPA is pretty fine.
I don't see any harm doing so.
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 14-02-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

Can anyone figure out a way survive at NUS without a single sen sponsoring from parents . I know about bursaries provided for NUS students but it is only 1500sg FOR 1 sem . I need money to pay for tuition fee , living expenses , house rent and miscellaneous fee . My parents dont want sponsor me to study there , sigh
ling910520 is offline   Reply With Quote
wcing
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 02-03-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

I'm a fresh SPM school leaver currently waiting for my results. I'm a Science student and have the intention of studying Science in F6 before applying to NUS Business School. Does anyone know what is the probability of getting into NUS Business School for a Science student?
(I remember reading something about this topic here before, but I just couldn't find that page, so I hope it's okay to ask here again).
Does NUS accept Science Students who apply for business/commerce to their Business School? Because I don't think I'll survive studying commerce in Malay which is the only option I have if I'm to convert to commerce stream in F6.
And also, if I choose to do a foundation programme in either a private college or local U(using UTAR as an example here), can I apply to NUS for an Undergraduate Degree after completing my foundation locally? Cause I've checked that to be eligible to apply for admission, one needs the following : the Singapore-Cambridge G.C.E. ?A? level certificate; a diploma from a Singapore polytechnic; or equivalent qualifications such as the NUS High School Diploma or International Baccalaureate Diploma. (btw, what do they mean by NUS High School Diploma? Does anyone know?)

Is anyone here currently under NUS Special Undergraduate Programmes (Double degree, Concurrent Degree and Double Major)? Care to elaborate on how to get into these programmes? cause i'm not having a very clear idea but a vague one on how people apply and get into university and all those stuff.

Thank you in advance to everyone.
wcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Holyboy27
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 02-03-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

Guys, I have a cgpa of 3.67. How would i fare if i wanna apply for asean scholarship and biomedicine?
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 02-03-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcing View Post
I'm a fresh SPM school leaver currently waiting for my results. I'm a Science student and have the intention of studying Science in F6 before applying to NUS Business School. Does anyone know what is the probability of getting into NUS Business School for a Science student?

(I remember reading something about this topic here before, but I just couldn't find that page, so I hope it's okay to ask here again).
Does NUS accept Science Students who apply for business/commerce to their Business School? Because I don't think I'll survive studying commerce in Malay which is the only option I have if I'm to convert to commerce stream in F6.

And also, if I choose to do a foundation programme in either a private college or local U(using UTAR as an example here), can I apply to NUS for an Undergraduate Degree after completing my foundation locally? Cause I've checked that to be eligible to apply for admission, one needs the following : the Singapore-Cambridge G.C.E. ?A? level certificate; a diploma from a Singapore polytechnic; or equivalent qualifications such as the NUS High School Diploma or International Baccalaureate Diploma. (btw, what do they mean by NUS High School Diploma? Does anyone know?)

Is anyone here currently under NUS Special Undergraduate Programmes (Double degree, Concurrent Degree and Double Major)? Care to elaborate on how to get into these programmes? cause i'm not having a very clear idea but a vague one on how people apply and get into university and all those stuff.

Thank you in advance to everyone.
I'm not from NUS (hopefully soon! ) but yeah you've got to check out the entry requirements for NUS Business School and make the right / wisest choice. STPM is not as easy as you think! (When you've set your goal in sth language is not a barrier lol!) Check out the int'l qualifications they accept here.

For double degree and concurrent degree, you can apply when you apply for NUS. As for double major, think you'll only settle that when you enter uni. Foundation is usually only applicable for admission into degree courses in the same uni, ie you take foundation course in UTAR, you'll enter UTAR for your degree. I'm not sure whether there are exceptional cases.

It's best of course to ask around seniors, stalk NUS students on FB etc to know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling910520 View Post
Can anyone figure out a way survive at NUS without a single sen sponsoring from parents . I know about bursaries provided for NUS students but it is only 1500sg FOR 1 sem . I need money to pay for tuition fee , living expenses , house rent and miscellaneous fee . My parents dont want sponsor me to study there , sigh
Bank loans?

Singapore Scholarship is still open for application till 22 Mar I think. Application to NUS automatically consider you for ASEAN scholarship. These 2 offer full scholarship, including living expenses.

Last edited by sofiazee; 02-03-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
sofiazee is offline   Reply With Quote
cheanrocks Female

#10 Old 02-03-2010 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2010/2011 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyboy27 View Post
Guys, I have a cgpa of 3.67. How would i fare if i wanna apply for asean scholarship and biomedicine?
To get into Biomedicine, you would have to apply for Life Science which is under Science. About ASEAN Scholarship, by applying for admission into NUS, you will automatically be considered for ASEAN Scholarship but chances are quite low for STPM students (from what I observed) although I may be wrong.
cheanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheanrocks For This Useful Post: