ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Don?t stir the hornet?s nest called Malay rights

misled_youth

#1 Old 24-09-2004 Default Don?t stir the hornet?s nest called Malay rights

Don?t stir the hornet?s nest called Malay rights
Fauwaz Abdul Aziz
Sep 24, 04 5:18pm

While waving a book on the May 13, 1969 racial riots, Umno?s newly elected deputy chairperson Badruddin Amiruldin today warned that questioning Malay rights was akin to stirring a hornet?s nest.

?Don?t poke at this nest, for if it were disturbed, these hornets will strike and destroy the country,? he said to a thunderous applause from delegates attending the party?s 55th annual general assembly at the Putra World Trade Centre in Kuala Lumpur.

He said the founding of Umno in 1946 coincided with an agreement by the main three races whereby citizenship would be granted to the minority groups in return for their acceptance of Malay special priveleges.

?Fifty-eight years ago we had an agreement with the other races, in which we permitted them to ?menumpang? (dwell) on this land. In the Federal Constitution, our rights as a race have been enshrined.

?Let no one from the other races ever question the rights of Malays on this land. Don?t question the religion because this is my right on this land,? said the fiery orator to another round of applause.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/30305

--------------------

misled_youth: I was born here. I'm not a penumpang. I'm a rakyat.

That's democracy for ya!
________
HOW TO ROLL A JOINT

Last edited by misled_youth; 03-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.
misled_youth is offline   Reply With Quote
qedx
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 24-09-2004 Default

Welcome to Malaysia!
qedx is offline   Reply With Quote
topdog

#3 Old 24-09-2004 Default

the scary part about this was the "round of applause." but who am i to comment, i'm just a penumpang.
topdog is offline   Reply With Quote
DecentMerson

#4 Old 24-09-2004 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog
the scary part about this was the "round of applause." but who am i to comment, i'm just a penumpang.
i agree...

just dun ask professionals to come back and say that Malaysia is tanah tumpah darah anda.... tanah air anda...

since we are just penumpang...

nice speech there.... Did Singapore pay u for that??? coz, u are encouraging ppl to go to Singapore and never look back....
u will see an exodus of ppl going to Singapore.... and Singapore will thank Malaysia for being the surrogate mother for 11 - 13 years....(free education from Standard 1 - form 6)....
DecentMerson is offline   Reply With Quote
digimushu Male
Prototyper

#5 Old 24-09-2004 Default

and I thought 'bangsa Malaysia' was close...

A colleague of mine from China asked me - "why don't you return to China?" and I told him, "coz M'sia is my home". Did not realize i was just a squatter...
naturesimple
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 24-09-2004 Default

Quote:
A colleague of mine from China asked me - "why don't you return to China?" and I told him, "coz M'sia is my home". Did not realize i was just a squatter...
my lec said that there is 1 special department that allow org org cina from others place to have their citizenship as long as u can testify that u r org cina. is that true???

Quote:
Fifty-eight years ago we had an agreement with the other races, in which we permitted them to ‘menumpang’ (dwell) on this land. In the Federal Constitution, our rights as a race have been enshrined.
so who am i(chinese) actually??????????????
naturesimple is offline   Reply With Quote
gonjeng

#7 Old 24-09-2004 Default

heh... i still thinks that the speech has a lot of political influence in it. it was delivered during the UMNO meeting, hence it has to please the listener, which were mainly malay. also, he was recently elected, which means he has to show that he's 'all for the malay thingie'.

nevertheless, i personally believes that the government is gradually trying to eliminate (to some extend) some of the rights. its just that it cannot be done in a single day and as a malay, im all for that
gonjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
naturesimple
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 24-09-2004 Default

Quote:
heh... i still thinks that the speech has a lot of political influence in it. it was delivered during the UMNO meeting, hence it has to please the listener, which were mainly malay. also, he was recently elected, which means he has to show that he's 'all for the malay thingie'.
u mean majority of umno members PLEASE to listen that chinese n indian r all penumpang only???
naturesimple is offline   Reply With Quote
digimushu Male
Prototyper

#9 Old 24-09-2004 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesimple
Quote:
u mean majority of umno members PLEASE to listen that chinese n indian r all penumpang only???
ever heard of the 'groupthink' phenomenon?
gonjeng

#10 Old 25-09-2004 Default

heh... yup, its that phenomenon alright. some ppl just conformed or couldnt bother to say they disagree...

~peace out~
gonjeng is offline   Reply With Quote