ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Does the British have a debt to pay to the Malaysia?

Voltman Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 30-08-2012 Default Does the British have a debt to pay to the Malaysia?

As I understand it, one of the results of Western colonial power was the exploitation of many developing countries around the world from the extortion of spices and minerals to human slaves.

Do you believe Western countries owe a great debt to the people they ruled?

More specifically, what do most Malaysians take of their country being colonized by the British?

What were the benefits and losses to Malaysia having been colonized?

Do some Malaysians feel as though they owe something to the British?
Voltman is offline   Reply With Quote
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 31-08-2012 Default Re: Does the British have a debt to pay to the Malaysia?

LOL can't answer your question but you might have just helped my lecturer there. Thanks.

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Voltman Male
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 31-08-2012 Default Re: Does the British have a debt to pay to the Malaysia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
LOL can't answer your question but you might have just helped my lecturer there. Thanks.
In what way?

Do most Malaysians still hold a grudge from their colonial past?
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#4 Old 31-08-2012 Default Re: Does the British have a debt to pay to the Malaysia?

Because I did not really experience anything inconveniencing from the British colonial rule upon Malaysia. In fact, within our Secondary History national syllabus, we are educated on how much the British rule has actually brought the frontiers of change to Malaysia, from the views of economics, social, and political construct.

Voltman Male
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 01-09-2012 Default Re: Does the British have a debt to pay to the Malaysia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
Because I did not really experience anything inconveniencing from the British colonial rule upon Malaysia. In fact, within our Secondary History national syllabus, we are educated on how much the British rule has actually brought the frontiers of change to Malaysia, from the views of economics, social, and political construct.
Is it a compulsory subject in all secondary schools in Malaysia?
WhitePhoenix Female
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 01-09-2012 Default Re: Does the British have a debt to pay to the Malaysia?

Yes it is. Along with both English and Malay. Students would study them throughout the 5 years of secondary school. Oh and I replied your message. I don't log in too often lol

Last edited by WhitePhoenix; 01-09-2012 at 10:04 AM.
WhitePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#7 Old 01-09-2012 Default Re: Does the British have a debt to pay to the Malaysia?

Yes History along with 4 other subjects (now) are compulsory to be taken for public examination syllabus. To graduate, each subject requires a minimum credit. Though, because I have lost touch with the secondary school system, I'm not sure if that applies to the subject(s) English, Mathematics or Moral Education/Islamic Studies anymore. However, History and Malay is a definite.

Not all secondary schools make this compulsory as we have vernacular school systems and also private schools that may follow the international O-level syllabus.