ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Science Expo > Astronomy

Astronomy Like the stars and Jupiter? Come see them here.

Astrology - Zodiac Signs and their Meaings

PeiWen

#1 Old 15-03-2004 Default Astrology - Zodiac Signs and their Meaings

Quote:
Horoscope columns in popular newspapers and magazines might lead you to suspect that the zodiac signs in which the Sun appears in horoscopes is of such over-riding importance that little else matters. The truth is that the zodiac signs in which the Sun appears is assigned much more importance in modern astrology than was the case in ancient times. Then, each planet (the Sun and the Moon being counted amongst the planets) signified a particular area of life as indicated in the individual birth chart. In particular, the planet that rules the ascendant (the zodiac sign rising at birth), and its sign and house position, was seen as having special significance for the individual. I believe this ancient tradition still holds true. Nevertheless there is no doubt that sun signs in horoscopes do have importance (the ancients acknowledged this too), and I offer these thumbnail sketches of the meaning of each. The twelve zodiac signs are divided into four elements: Fire - Aries, Leo and Sagittarius; Earth - Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn; Air - Gemini, Libra and Aquarius; Water - Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces.
Another way of classifying the zodiac signs is according to their so-called quadruplicities. The three quadruplicities can be seen as different ways of being creative. The four cardinal, Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn, have in common the impetus to initiate or create, or to counter one initiative with another. The four fixed, Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius, are inclined to sustain or stabilise what has already been created, or to resist or practise endurance in the face of another's initiative. The four mutable, Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces, take what has been created and attempt to alter or adapt it.

Combine the four elements with the three quadruplicities, and we find that each of the zodiac signs has a unique combination of the two. For instance, Taurus alone is fixed earth, Sagittarius alone is mutable fire. These four links will take you to a very brief sketch of the characteristics of each element, and of the differences between each sign of that element on account of the varying quadruplicities. Each page contains links that will take you to more detailed descriptions of each of the zodiac signs, or you can go straight to the ones which interest you using the links above.

Zodiac Signs: Fire

The fire element desires freedom.

Earth

The earth element needs security.

Air

The air element (like fire but with a different emphasis) desires freedom.

Water

The water element (like earth but with a different emphasis) needs security.
copyright: Psychological Astrologer Richard Hills

#2 Old 15-03-2004 Default Astrology - Zodiac Signs and their Meaings

Quote:
Horoscope columns in popular newspapers and magazines might lead you to suspect that the zodiac signs in which the Sun appears in horoscopes is of such over-riding importance that little else matters. The truth is that the zodiac signs in which the Sun appears is assigned much more importance in modern astrology than was the case in ancient times. Then, each planet (the Sun and the Moon being counted amongst the planets) signified a particular area of life as indicated in the individual birth chart. In particular, the planet that rules the ascendant (the zodiac sign rising at birth), and its sign and house position, was seen as having special significance for the individual. I believe this ancient tradition still holds true. Nevertheless there is no doubt that sun signs in horoscopes do have importance (the ancients acknowledged this too), and I offer these thumbnail sketches of the meaning of each. The twelve zodiac signs are divided into four elements: Fire - Aries, Leo and Sagittarius; Earth - Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn; Air - Gemini, Libra and Aquarius; Water - Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces.
Another way of classifying the zodiac signs is according to their so-called quadruplicities. The three quadruplicities can be seen as different ways of being creative. The four cardinal, Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn, have in common the impetus to initiate or create, or to counter one initiative with another. The four fixed, Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius, are inclined to sustain or stabilise what has already been created, or to resist or practise endurance in the face of another's initiative. The four mutable, Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces, take what has been created and attempt to alter or adapt it.

Combine the four elements with the three quadruplicities, and we find that each of the zodiac signs has a unique combination of the two. For instance, Taurus alone is fixed earth, Sagittarius alone is mutable fire. These four links will take you to a very brief sketch of the characteristics of each element, and of the differences between each sign of that element on account of the varying quadruplicities. Each page contains links that will take you to more detailed descriptions of each of the zodiac signs, or you can go straight to the ones which interest you using the links above.

Zodiac Signs: Fire

The fire element desires freedom.

Earth

The earth element needs security.

Air

The air element (like fire but with a different emphasis) desires freedom.

Water

The water element (like earth but with a different emphasis) needs security.
copyright: Psychological Astrologer Richard Hills
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 14-07-2004 Default planets' names...

i understand that each planet n moon n asteroid take the name of gods of ancient times, like Mars from God of War, Venus from God of Love. can elaborate more on their names n meaning?
jo_n is offline   Reply With Quote
JAE
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 19-01-2005 Default

How far is it true that by analysing the date of birth, place of birth and time of birth, one is able to predict a person's characteristics, behaviour and any other related matter that could be sought out using astrology predictions or analysis....
JAE is offline   Reply With Quote
nicodemus

#5 Old 02-03-2005 Default

Well...as a student with an avid interest to astronomy and astrology, this is what I can tell. If you need more info, jus post it for me...

Mercury = derived from the speedy God of Messenger
Venus = God of Beauty
Mars = God of War
Jupiter = * forgot *
Saturn = God of Agriculture ( i don't know why it's named after this )
Uranus = * forgot *
Neptune = God of Sea
Pluto = God of Underworld

Each of them have their own stories on how the planet was named.

For example....Venus was so beautiful in the evening skies that it was named after the God of Beauty.

On the other hand, Neptune, which is blue like the sea, is named Neptune.

Feel free to ask me questions about astronomy......well, after i do some revision first. ha ha ha
nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
nicodemus

#6 Old 03-03-2005 Default

Jupiter = named after the King of Gods
Uranus = God of Astronomy
nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
calvin2060
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 12-03-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodemus
Jupiter = named after the King of Gods
Uranus = God of Astronomy
waa....bulat very pandai lo....
~Lay down that boogie and play that funky music till you die
calvin2060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Daniel_Chin
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 09-06-2007 Default

I have a question, how to know what zodiac signs are you in different planets? For example, I know I'm sagittarius in sun, but how do I know what sign I'm in Mars or Venus?
Daniel_Chin is offline   Reply With Quote