ReCom.org
Reading Sharing Share your past, present, and future readings here.

Plays

wpyeoh

#1 Old 24-02-2005 Default Plays

I never really liked reading plays, but I have to work on one in class and I was surprised to find it really interesting! It's "L'avare" by Moliere (meaning "the miser"), about a man who is so miserly that he wants to marry his daughter off to someone who offers to take her without a dowry. (that's one of the examples) Both his son and his daughter want to get married, but he has other plans for them...I found it really funny, with all the misunderstandings. For example the miser was talking to his son about a girl, who happens to be his son's love interest. When the son talked very favourably about the girl, the miser said "that's good, 'cos I want to marry her" .
sno

#2 Old 24-02-2005 Default

only play i ever read was Educating Rita by Willy Russell........read it for exam purpose but enjoyed it nevertheless.....

it's bout Rita, a dropout in her twenties who decided to take up an Open University course......her tutor, Frank is an achoholic...at first Rita was awed by his eloquence n admired him....later she became more independent n saw flaws in Frank.....Frank who had fallen in love with her begins to deteriorate.....
the issue in ER is bout wat education really means.....Rita wanted an education... but does being educated mean that one can mingle with the upper class in a society at dinner parties while holding up fancy talks on literature works or is an educated person capable of more? Frank indulged himself in the world of a drunkard becoz he saw the educated ppl around him as hypocrites.......Rita began to see some truth in Franks' point of view when her literate roomate , Trish attempted suicide........
thatz about wat i remembered about the story.......hope i made sense....
sno is offline   Reply With Quote
rockjianrock
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 11-05-2005 Default

Aw c'mon, nobody mention Oscar Wilde? "The Importance of Being Ernest"? There is simply nothing in this world that can compare wiith such creative flair in the dialogue. Such wit, such a play on the name Ernest and being earnest in itself. The play itself reveals so much about Wilde himself and his critiques of Victorian English society.
rockjianrock is offline   Reply With Quote
balderdash

#4 Old 12-05-2005 Default

Are you earnest about being Ernest(earnest)?
Wahahaha.
balderdash is offline   Reply With Quote
cquayhl
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 13-05-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjianrock
Aw c'mon, nobody mention Oscar Wilde? "The Importance of Being Ernest"? There is simply nothing in this world that can compare wiith such creative flair in the dialogue. Such wit, such a play on the name Ernest and being earnest in itself. The play itself reveals so much about Wilde himself and his critiques of Victorian English society.
Yes, Oscar Wilde is good. I like Lady Windemere's Fan better than Ernest...more twists in the plot, less painfully serious at points as I remember.

Have you noticed that Wilde recycles a lot of his witticisms? But then maybe it's because they are so witty that I noticed the repetition at all...at any rate, I'm willing to forgive him that.

Charis.
cquayhl is offline   Reply With Quote
jacyn
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 20-05-2005 Default

try reading "the glass menagerie' by Tennessee Williams. it's meaningful and touching.
jacyn is offline   Reply With Quote
xiaohu
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 30-06-2005 Default

anyone read greek plays ie aeschylus, sophocles, euripides, aristophanes or seen any modern takes? quite challenging but certainly worth it. such fundamental understanding of human nature and behaviour.
icy_cold88
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 23-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaohu
anyone read greek plays ie aeschylus, sophocles, euripides, aristophanes or seen any modern takes? quite challenging but certainly worth it. such fundamental understanding of human nature and behaviour.
I haven't got the chance to read any greek plays yet...but I enjoy reading mythology books and greek tragedy plays.. ie Julius Caesar.

I've read a number of plays myself, I don't really like modern plays..
Personally, I find Shakespeare's King Lear is quite tedious, but I enjoyed Julius Caesar very much..
icy_cold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
strawglow
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 06-01-2010 Default Re: Plays

I suggest everyone go read An Inspector Calls by J.B.Priestly.I'm 2009 SPM leaver and I took Literature as an extra subject.The play is real short but worth it.But unfortunately I don't think you can get it here in M'sia.My teacher ordered it from the UK...bt its short,witty,relatable and meaningful.Go check it out if u guys can.=)
strawglow is offline   Reply With Quote