ReCom.org
Questions/ Comments/ Complaints Post your SITE-related questions and comments here.
(For education, scholarships etc, please post your question in the respective sub-forums)

Im lost

welchez Female
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 15-10-2011 Exclamation Im lost

Hi there.ehmm im having difficultly in choosing subjects. im currently study at form six and i took science package.well, i add one more subject, art as well when spm.and thats really confusing me.

i just finished my end year exam and sad to say that my results.. was terrible.and the reasons i failed almost all subjects was there's something happened in my family and SOCIAL ISSUES with friends.i know i know this actually shouldnt give a shit affect on me but it did.

so im now totally jammed and stuck in this situation, should i change to art stream? and my friends who around me advice me to take art cause im talented in art.but, everyone do have talent! everyone can draw! i know art will be totally much easier than science but i scare that if i change because of it's easy and because my social problems..ill regret and there's not turn back chance! should i continue my science and really worked harddd or just change to art,start all over again.
and if you guys ask me what i wanna do in future? i can only say i dont know, i like everything!oh, i like biology but not chemistry.i like art but just art not economics stuff. SO PLEASE HELP ME! and sorry my english level's low.
welchez is offline   Reply With Quote
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 15-10-2011 Default Re: Im lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchez View Post
Hi there.ehmm im having difficultly in choosing subjects. im currently study at form six and i took science package.well, i add one more subject, art as well when spm.and thats really confusing me.

i just finished my end year exam and sad to say that my results.. was terrible.and the reasons i failed almost all subjects was there's something happened in my family and SOCIAL ISSUES with friends.i know i know this actually shouldnt give a shit affect on me but it did.

so im now totally jammed and stuck in this situation, should i change to art stream? and my friends who around me advice me to take art cause im talented in art.but, everyone do have talent! everyone can draw! i know art will be totally much easier than science but i scare that if i change because of it's easy and because my social problems..ill regret and there's not turn back chance! should i continue my science and really worked harddd or just change to art,start all over again.
and if you guys ask me what i wanna do in future? i can only say i dont know, i like everything!oh, i like biology but not chemistry.i like art but just art not economics stuff. SO PLEASE HELP ME! and sorry my english level's low.
Well, whatever happened in your family stays in your family. If there was anything terrible I'm imagining now has happened to your family, then my apologies. It's alright if your results are affected. As far as I'm concerned, anything can be a major distraction in your studies and sometimes it's out of our control. Don't put the blame on yourself but move on

For your subject change, I don't really have the right advice but I can comment though. Drawing doesn't necessarily mean that you will excel in the Arts or even like it, because there's more to Art than just knowing how to draw. You need to learn various other techniques to project images onto a canvas, use different materials to do your magic on, and also probably learn other forms of art like through digital or sculpture eventually. It's hard for me to advice for 2 problems you've posed. You don't seem to like Chemistry, which is quite frankly very discouraging for you to take Science. In my opinion Chemistry is the most important and the most basic of the principal 3 sciences. It has lots of co-relations with Biology as well, since the focus is on chemical reactions in both. Then again, I wouldn't say it's safe for you to switch to become a Commerce major (it's called Arts by layman terms, but it's actually wrong) since you don't like Economics. Economics is also a science, studying human behavior in consumption and market trends. Economics is also one of the very principle subjects in going for a business pathway, so if you can't come to terms to like it, then I'm afraid you'll have to really weigh out your choices.

You say you like everything, but you seem to dislike the most principle subjects in the Science and Arts stream. In life, there will always be something we won't like. Doing something you like or don't like could mean the difference in achieving a life long dream. I don't think it's rational to say I want to become a top-ranking CEO in future but don't want to study Economics first. Ponder on that and I hope you can make the right choice. Stick around and I think the seniors will address your problem soon.

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook

Last edited by frostbyte13; 15-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#3 Old 15-10-2011 Default Re: Im lost

Sorry to digress and I will get back to the core of this thread when I have more time later, but Frostbyte13: there's no way you could put chemistry above physics as the foundation of all sciences. Chemistry is essentially a study of interaction of electrons between atoms and molecules, and electron is a small subset of physics.

An interesting "pecking order of science" proposed by some people.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_central_science

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 15-10-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to youngyew For This Useful Post:
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#4 Old 15-10-2011 Default Re: Im lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
Sorry to digress and I will get back to the core of this thread when I have more time later, but Frostbyte13: there's no way you could put chemistry above physics as the foundation of all sciences. Chemistry is essentially a study of interaction of electrons between atoms and molecules, and electron is a small subset of physics.

An interesting "pecking order of science" proposed by some people.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_central_science
Hmm, I see Thank you for the heads up, so now I can tell people that Physics is actually the most fundamental foundation of science, and not Chemistry like what I've been told Shame that in my high school days and now in my college that very few people especially the girls who like Physics.

AllenChew Male

#5 Old 20-10-2011 Default Re: Im lost

Why LAW last huh ? *sad*

welchez, I do understand there are always alot of problems in our life, problems with family, social with friends and people around, study problem etc. Last time I used to be blur about my future also, and keep asking people around (friends and family) about their opinions on which career is the best. But at the end I didn't get any good answer, because they are they, while I am who I am. At the end I am still the one who will decide my own future. Just relax your mind, maybe have a short holidays, and think about your future clearly, ask yourself : What I want to do ? What is the future that I want ? and do some research about careers that you think you are interested in, to know clearer about it.

You still can change your stream now ? Think about why you'll choose science that time. And Don't study science just because people say that it is good. Every subject and every course do lead to a brilliant future, Art stream is good also, just depend on your effort and yourself.

Don't give up. All the best
Nicholasng925 Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#6 Old 21-10-2011 Default Re: Im lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
Hmm, I see Thank you for the heads up, so now I can tell people that Physics is actually the most fundamental foundation of science, and not Chemistry like what I've been told Shame that in my high school days and now in my college that very few people especially the girls who like Physics.
Mathematics is the foundation of ALL SCIENCES, above Physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
You don't seem to like Chemistry, which is quite frankly very discouraging for you to take Science. In my opinion Chemistry is the most important and the most basic of the principal 3 sciences. It has lots of co-relations with Biology as well, since the focus is on chemical reactions in both.
I don't like Chemistry too, and I would not ever deal with Chemistry. Also, Chemistry, among the three Science subjects, is not the most fundamental one. Mathematics and Physics are the most fundamental subjects as the backbone of Science.

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
=[{Albert Einstein}]=

Feel free to visit my blog here!!!

Last edited by Nicholasng925; 21-10-2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Nicholasng925 is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#7 Old 21-10-2011 Default Re: Im lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenChew View Post
Why LAW last huh ? *sad*
That's one way of looking at it, the other way is "law is way more advanced, complicated and integrated than all the others"

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youngyew For This Useful Post:
Cactus Male

#8 Old 21-10-2011 Default Re: Im lost

Today someone told me she felt Biology is not "real science", because everything is "just memorization". Personally I felt that, science or not science is just label, so whatever. (LOL), as long we know Biology has its worth, that's enough. I mean, just because life's too complicated to be described fully in a few equations, and perhaps not always studied as quantitatively as Physics, doesn't mean it's not science. Somebody has to go out and study nature instead of philosophizing with equations. No data, no science. (yaya, there's theoretical science and stuff, I just mean that "at the end of the day", we still need data to support our hypothesis.)

Anyway, just want to share this quote.

Quote:
Biology could in turn be ground up into chemistry, and chemistry into physics, leaving one struggling to explain the causes of World War I in terms of electrons and quarks. Even if World War I consisted of nothing but a very, very large number of quarks in a very, very complicated pattern of motion, no insight is gained by describing it that way.
In a sense, Chemistry is the "biology" of atomic physics (since it deals with so many atoms and their interactions), and chemistry is all "just" atoms and electrons, but we don't live in a nuclear reactor.

Last edited by Cactus; 21-10-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#9 Old 21-10-2011 Default Re: Im lost

OK, I get that everyone on this thread now is more knowledgable now about disclaiming Biology as a practical science subject and also how Mathematics is the foundation of almost form of knowledge out there, but it still doesn't answer the OP's initial question I think what AllenChew said is sufficient, and that is to take a holiday and do some serious soul-searching.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte13 For This Useful Post: