ReCom.org
The Business World From the stock market to the old school barter system

Books on investing

#1 Old 16-03-2004 Default Books on investing

If you're interested in investing (i.e. have too much spare money, I suppose), these are some books I highly recommend (well, in fact Warren Buffett highly recommends too!)

1. The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham (there's a new edition up with commentary by Jason Zweig).

2. A more advanced book is Security Analysis by Graham and Dodds.

Both books, I believe, emphasize value and conservative investing, i.e. buy stocks when there are cheap/undervalued and sell them when they're too overvalued, regardless of market momentum.

If you've read those books, do post your thoughts about them in this forum. You can post more book suggestions too.

#2 Old 16-03-2004 Default Books on investing

If you're interested in investing (i.e. have too much spare money, I suppose), these are some books I highly recommend (well, in fact Warren Buffett highly recommends too!)

1. The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham (there's a new edition up with commentary by Jason Zweig).

2. A more advanced book is Security Analysis by Graham and Dodds.

Both books, I believe, emphasize value and conservative investing, i.e. buy stocks when there are cheap/undervalued and sell them when they're too overvalued, regardless of market momentum.

If you've read those books, do post your thoughts about them in this forum. You can post more book suggestions too.
yekban81 Male

#3 Old 24-03-2004 Default

The very basic of investing is financial knowledge. Before we attempt to get oneselves into the investing world or business, I recommend that we better familiarize and master our financial knowledge first. Here, I recommend a good start of learning money and finance from:

"Robert Kiyosaki- Rich Dad Poor Dad"

I find it very easy to understand as it introduces and explains well the financial knowledge with examples in the form of real life stories. For young people like us, it gives revelation to the real world. For normal adults especially working ones, reading this will be of some kind shocking and unbelievable; you just can't accept the principles which the book suggests. Just read it with open mind and I am sure you will agree, or just accept in a win-win situation at least.

"I'm convinced that ATTITUDE is the key to success/failure in almost any of life's endeavors. " ~Carolyn Warner
yekban81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yekban81 For This Useful Post:
Suhanna
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 27-04-2005 Default Books on investing

yes... im 100% agree with u. RICH DAD POOR DAD is a very good book. i recommend this book to everyone especially asian parents. dont get me wrong, im asian too. actually to tell u the truth, i never like reading. but after reading that book, i get interested in financial knowledge especially in real estate. there's one book i highly recommend too by ROBERT SHEMIN. but this book is more about real estate. besides that, u should try SUZY ORMAN too. any other book u guys recommend? im still new at these
Suhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
yekban81 Male

#5 Old 01-07-2005 Default

Here's another great book, The Millionaire Mind by Thomas J Stanley

Click the following link to read the book summary
http://www.bainvestor.com/The-Millio...ok-Review.html

"I'm convinced that ATTITUDE is the key to success/failure in almost any of life's endeavors. " ~Carolyn Warner
yekban81 is offline   Reply With Quote

#6 Old 01-07-2005 Default

There's no shortcut to being wealthy -- the Kiyosaki book is big marketing ploy. There's a strong possibility that he even makes more money selling his books than his purported real estate business.

First of all, ask yourself why you want to be wealthy. It's important because money alone is meaningless without an objective and purpose for it. Once you've established a purpose, do the following:

(1) Find a job that you like working for, be it your own business or a company. Unless you like doing what you do, there is no way to rise to the top.

(2) Save as much as possible. No savings == no money to invest.

(3) Find ways to earn more money like doing a side job, consulting etc.

(4) Invest with a rational mind. If it sounds too good to be true, it is probably so. Understand why your particular investment makes sense -- question everything. See my first post for a good book to read on investing -- it's not an easy read like Kiyosaki's book since that book is not a marketing ploy.
weich
Anchors

#7 Old 01-07-2005 Default

i've read the kiyosaki book but i think he's exploiting the US tax system & not the M'sian one isn't it? Does anyone know if we buy a house and immediately reinvest it in real estate, the money won't be taxed?

i think the asian way of buying real estate is to look at shoplots/houses which are auctioned when the owner's bankrupt...not forgetting the location as well.

anyway, i think stock markets/FX/CFD/spreadbetting markets should be the fastest way to becoming rich/poor.
weich is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholasng925 Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#8 Old 01-05-2012 Default Re: Books on investing

Bump! ^ Any avid reader of finance, investing and economics books?

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
=[{Albert Einstein}]=

Feel free to visit my blog here!!!
Nicholasng925 is offline   Reply With Quote