ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Headquarters > Questions/ Comments/ Complaints

Questions/ Comments/ Complaints Post your SITE-related questions and comments here.
(For education, scholarships etc, please post your question in the respective sub-forums)

Am I making the right decision?

dongdong Female
Super Junior Member

#11 Old 19-07-2012 Default Re: Am I making the right decision?

i was a matriculation student in accouting stream..and im offered for law course in UM for the 2012/2013 intake.. i thought of changing my course to accountany...do you think it is a wise decision??
dongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
WhitePhoenix Female
Less Junior Member

#12 Old 20-07-2012 Default Re: Am I making the right decision?

Follow your passion and do what you enjoy most. What are your strengths? I did both Accounting and Law in my Pre-U and found out that I was stronger in Law compared to Accounting. Did you do law in pre-U? If you didn't, I can tell you it's nothing compared to what you'd face in your degree. I met this guy who did A-Levels and took 4 subjects, including Law, but dropped out on Law because he was more of a Math person (my complete opposite) Well, if you're having second thoughts then go for the second one. If the first was good enough for you, you wouldn't have any second thoughts in the first place *just my two cents worth*

Last edited by WhitePhoenix; 20-07-2012 at 02:00 AM.
WhitePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
dongdong Female
Super Junior Member

#13 Old 21-07-2012 Default Re: Am I making the right decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
Follow your passion and do what you enjoy most. What are your strengths? I did both Accounting and Law in my Pre-U and found out that I was stronger in Law compared to Accounting. Did you do law in pre-U? If you didn't, I can tell you it's nothing compared to what you'd face in your degree. I met this guy who did A-Levels and took 4 subjects, including Law, but dropped out on Law because he was more of a Math person (my complete opposite) Well, if you're having second thoughts then go for the second one. If the first was good enough for you, you wouldn't have any second thoughts in the first place *just my two cents worth*
thanks for the advice...actually i dont know anything about law....and i guess im more of a Math person..i hate memorising..thats why im afraid of doing law degree...im also worried of changing into accontancy...i heard that accountancy is not so profesional like law and its more competitive and the area of fields is not as wide as law....is it true?? i didnt wanna regret in future...
dongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
WhitePhoenix Female
Less Junior Member

#14 Old 22-07-2012 Default Re: Am I making the right decision?

My pleasure, don't mention it It's alright, let me share my experience with you. Pre U Law is kacang, structure questions and essays. Law is a subject where you don't just memorize and regurgitate for the exams. You would need to understand the statutes behind each case cited as you would need to back up whatever you say during Law exams. You can't just argue based on your own knowledge. This degree level Law. Expect to produce 4 5-6 page essays under 3 hours for a typical Law exam. For Law cases are used often so what you learn in class would be repeatedly drilled into you, making it seemingly effortless to remember certain cases. My Pre-U lecturer tends to repeat a few commonly used cases more often. Oh Math...Is a subject I can't stand...Haha I don't like being forced to memorize something, but I can tell you this - Don't let this deter you from reading Law. Understanding is as if not more important than memorizing. If you merely memorize you'd never be able to apply statutes as questions aren't direct. Don't be afraid, have courage and believe in yourself. I hope I didn't scare the living daylights out of you by writing this! Ask yourself what would you want to do. Would you enjoy doing it? Not as professional as Law? Hahah who said so? There's ACCA, LCCI and CAT around! If you took accounts in SPM you should have the LCCI cert. I have the cert in distinction, exempting me from 2 papers. Let's see...Wide areas? You would be surprised to know that we did structure and essays for Accounts during Pre-U. But as for the width of the scope for an accounting degree..I'm afraid I can't be of much help since Accounts is a huge NO for me and I did zero research on it hahaha. Sorry The thing is, what do you enjoy doing? Since you mentioned that you're a Math person, I think Accounts would be a good choice. Balancing accounts, financial reports, ratio calculations, fill-in-the-blanks by using pieces of information and putting them together then working out the accounts and figuring out the answer...Seems identical to Math, no? ;) Sure drove me crazy and rendered me starry eyed during class! It's up to you really, don't let the ''professionalism'' affect your choice. Pick the one that would be better for your future and opens more doors for you. Look at the career prospects of both degrees. Which would you want to be in? Accounts and Law are very different so thread carefully! Don't worry too much. Get into a quiet spot and do some thinking. Listen to your heart. Somehow the answer is already inside you. Does it feel right? If it does, chances are, you've found your path

Last edited by WhitePhoenix; 22-07-2012 at 02:10 AM.
WhitePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote