ReCom.org
Questions/ Comments/ Complaints Post your SITE-related questions and comments here.
(For education, scholarships etc, please post your question in the respective sub-forums)

question of integration

kwongkienyi Male
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 14-08-2012 Default question of integration

i wonder how to solve this question:

integration of (x-1)/((x+1)((x^3+x^2+x)^(1/2))
sorry i had to type like this as i didn't have the formula typing software

Last edited by kwongkienyi; 14-08-2012 at 03:08 PM.
kwongkienyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 14-08-2012 Default Re: question of integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwongkienyi View Post
i wonder how to solve this question:

integration of (x-1)/((x+1)((x^3+x^2+x)^(1/2))
sorry i had to type like this as i didn't have the formula typing software
Are you sure your equation is correct? This does not look like something that can be trivially done!
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#3 Old 14-08-2012 Default Re: question of integration

I am far too removed from maths to be able to do this now but a quick wolframalpha search showed a complicated solution:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...%2Bx)%5E(1%2F2))

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
kwongkienyi Male
Less Junior Member

#4 Old 15-08-2012 Default Re: question of integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
I am far too removed from maths to be able to do this now but a quick wolframalpha search showed a complicated solution:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...%2Bx)%5E(1%2F2))
thanks a lot.
but the problem is i read this question in a level math books, but not further math. i suppose that there are no sinh or other hyperbolic trigo in a level math right?

Last edited by kwongkienyi; 15-08-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#5 Old 15-08-2012 Default Re: question of integration

Quote:
thanks a lot.
but the problem is i read this question in a level math books, but not further math. i suppose that there are no sinh or other hyperbolic trigo in a level math right?
To answer your question no, no hyperbolic functions in A level Maths but I am not convince your read this question from an A level Maths book! Unless they introduced a very sophisticated substitution or made use of certain properties, you just cannot integrate this lightly! Having arsinh in the answer is fine but Elliptic integrals??? :S No A level material, not even first or second year Maths!
kwongkienyi Male
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 15-08-2012 Default Re: question of integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyboy View Post
To answer your question no, no hyperbolic functions in A level Maths but I am not convince your read this question from an A level Maths book! Unless they introduced a very sophisticated substitution or made use of certain properties, you just cannot integrate this lightly! Having arsinh in the answer is fine but Elliptic integrals??? :S No A level material, not even first or second year Maths!
No, it is not from a reference books, but from the exercise books. i didn't sure is it a further math because the cover of the books just write A-level math. and the question inside this books are VERY difficult.
i wonder if the integration/differentiation of inverse trigo function is in the A-level Math? because there are a lot of such questions in that books! (i check that inverse trigo is not in STPM math T either!) but thanks to Johnivan further math blog, i still able to solve that question.
yeah, i forgot to ask u that are u currently an a-level student?
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#7 Old 16-08-2012 Default Re: question of integration

Quote:
No, it is not from a reference books, but from the exercise books. i didn't sure is it a further math because the cover of the books just write A-level math. and the question inside this books are VERY difficult.
i wonder if the integration/differentiation of inverse trigo function is in the A-level Math? because there are a lot of such questions in that books! (i check that inverse trigo is not in STPM math T either!) but thanks to Johnivan further math blog, i still able to solve that question.
yeah, i forgot to ask u that are u currently an a-level student?
No, integration and differentiation of inverse trig functions are definitely not in A-level Maths. Don't take my word for it though, it is worth you checking it out yourself!

I suspect that book for yours could be for A level Further Maths but no harm doing the questions I suppose!

Nope, I did my A level ages ago. I am old...
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#8 Old 17-08-2012 Default Re: question of integration

I can definitely integrate that function, but I won't do it analytically; I'll do it numerically. Haha...