ReCom.org
Window to the World Discussions of global issues and latest news.

Baby Dumping

youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#11 Old 26-11-2011 Default Re: Baby Dumping

Where is the lawyer? Cough cough glassy.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#12 Old 26-11-2011 Default Re: baby dumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by eve88 View Post
I personally would think neither case would be considered Murder - following the action/inaction rule

Using the wikipedia definition of murder
"Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human being"

If you take a knife to kill someone - you're doing an action to kill him --> murder
If you leave someone to drown(starve), without having acted --> cannot be considered murder.

So back to baby dumping, it can be argued that it fails
"Killing" - Leaving a baby to die != killing. Even if you left it in the corner, you did not actually end that life - it ended due to lack of food/shelter/care etc.
"Malice aforethought" - Planning to end the life != Wanted to get rid of a burden.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9183940AALPRIN

Negligence or lack of concern for human life should be 3rd degree murder. Don't know how reliable the source I quote it from is, but just have a thought then people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
I don't think the example you have given is appropriate. Leaving a random someone to drown/starve is not the nicest thing to do but still permissible because you have no legal responsibility to care for said person. A parent leaving his/her child to starve, on the other hand, does have legal, moral and ethical repercussions. It may not be murder in the sense that the parent did not drive a knife/bullet through the baby's heart, but the death is still an effect of their conduct.

Baby dumping is at the very least, homicidal negligence.
I think Young is right. As the biological parent of the child, regardless by choice or not, unwritten clauses by social standards demands that you take responsibility as a parent. Negligence of the person under your care is the equivalence of a breach in social responsibilities. eve88's example of leaving a person to starve is perfect example of homicidal negligence that is punishable by criminal law standards.

Wikipedia :

Quote:
In the criminal law, criminal negligence is one of the three general classes of mens rea (Latin for "guilty mind") element required to constitute a conventional as opposed to strict liability offense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_negligence
Please take my comments with a pinch of salt. I'm not a Law student . I can ask my friend for personal advice on whether this is really murder.

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook

Last edited by frostbyte13; 26-11-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
clarrie93 Female
Less Junior Member

#13 Old 04-06-2012 Default Re: Baby Dumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by libraaa View Post
what are your opinions about baby dumping?

how is abandon different from dumping?

what about abortion? is abortion the same as dumping?

in my view, for abortion cases, babies are not even given a chance to be born and they're killed.

majority will be against the act of baby dumping. however is it acceptable in the case of a girl who got raped?
1. In the usual case, (this come from a Muslim -the whole 'illegal' intercourse- so I apologised if I offend anyone) where girl+guy+illegal intercourse = illegal baby = guilt+scared = dumping, I would say, plainly, they are no less than a murderers, maybe more.

2. Dumping usually, in my opinion, relates to act by the parents putting the babies in places with attention of killing him/her; ie: throwing them in the rubbish bin, lakes, etc.

Abandon, relates more to leaving their child, not necessarily a baby, somewhere with attention of leaving it. This place could be in front of someone's house, or a orphanage, or even leaving him/her inside their house and leave to starve to death.

Now, we have the Baby Hatch, where they could sent their 'unwanted' babies. This would consider as abandonment, but don't you think this is better than digging a hole and buried the baby alive?

3. Abortion and dumping. I would say that abortion would always be the first option and dumping the second. Most cases, baby dumping occur when the 'mothers' are already too big and can't abort it, or she might not have enough money, thus she just give birth and do the deed that can't be done earlier.

If a girl was raped and then get pregnant, she has the choice to keep it or to do abortion. This is due to the emotional hurt the girl will keep on feeling.
She would have the most 4 months:16 weeks to have the abortion, so there's actually no reason for her to give birth and dump it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
I don't think the example you have given is appropriate. Leaving a random someone to drown/starve is not the nicest thing to do but still permissible because you have no legal responsibility to care for said person.
I would say it's a moral code that we need to follow. You don't have legal responsibility to help the dying person, but I would say it is largely accepted that you should help that said person. Thus, if you just stood there doing nothing and there's proof that you really did that, I don't think there would be any legal punishment, but you would still face the punishment by the members of the community; ie: isolation etc.
Because tomorrow may bring a different result..
If that doesnt work, then take another step, and another,
do your best and move forward!
One day your hard work will pay off

By: Koizumi Risa (Lovely Complex)

Last edited by clarrie93; 05-06-2012 at 12:52 AM.
clarrie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#14 Old 04-06-2012 Default Re: Baby Dumping

Abortion is actually illegal in Malaysia.

(Except for exceptional circumstances e.g. rape)

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 04-06-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
chrystal Female
Super Junior Member

#15 Old 19-06-2012 Default Re: Baby Dumping

Baby dumping is simply to abandon the newly born child and exposing to harm and death. Those women who do this crime are mostly the unwed mothers, teenagers and infidel wives. This can be consider as moral decay in a society.
chrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
gtxpro Female
Super Junior Member

#16 Old 17-10-2012 Default Re: Baby Dumping

I don't like the sound of it. But it depends. We live in a social life and there are norms to follow. Even if we would want to, we couldn't do it.

#17 Old 27-12-2012 Default Re: Baby Dumping

Quote:
Despite so many arguments for and against abortion, I do believe fundamentally the core of the issue is human psychology: what is unseen is not immoral or less immoral. That's why killing thousands with a click on computer is less morally repulsive than killing one with a gun. Killing a fetus is less morally repulsive than killing a born baby by the same logic. If morality is based on emotion, it is a bit absurd to argue about it using reason.
Quoted from elsewhere.
johnconnor is offline   Reply With Quote