ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Headquarters > Questions/ Comments/ Complaints

Questions/ Comments/ Complaints Post your SITE-related questions and comments here.
(For education, scholarships etc, please post your question in the respective sub-forums)

chemical engineering vs petroleum engineering

wilsonkokwoon Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 20-03-2013 Smile chemical engineering vs petroleum engineering

hi, i'm spm leaver and currently waiting for my result(1 day left TT)..by tis time i am still clueless wat i m going to study~so now i am seeking for help ..the 1st thing i wanna ask is between chemical engineering and petroleum engineering which one has brighter job prospect..can anyone tell me what CHEM eng will work and whr the CHEM eng work...is a PET ENG is unavoidable for being away from home?frankly, i'm always a homesick guy..
I heard that UTP is one of the best U to study engineering rite? is anyone a ex-UTPian here? is that hard to get into UTP?(as a private student) and whats is the requirement? besides of UTP which university is good at chemical eng and petroleum eng? is cutin or UCSI good? someone plz help me~bcoz i am in dilemma for choosing course and university..and pardon me for my poor english~
wilsonkokwoon is offline   Reply With Quote
bush26
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 21-03-2013 Default Re: chemical engineering vs petroleum engineering

Are you from Ipoh? if yes then UTP is the best university in town. If you are from KL like me, don't ever think of going to UTP as you stated that you are a homesick guy, try UM lol if you can, cause i believe UM has the best chemical engineering school in the country. I'm a chemical engineer grad from UTP and working as a drilling engineer a.k.a petroleum engineer, so what I can say is these sort of things depends on your company whether they want to send you to offshore or not, else wise you should be happy in KL. Chemical engineering gives you a broader scope of not only working in the oil and gas but also foodtech, chemical industries and also some other related to chemicals. Petroleum as you can see only oil and gas. Correct me if i'm wrong, just take chemical engineering, you can have the luxury of entering any working field if you want. You can even be a chemist since chemical engineering also gives you some basic knowledges of chemical analysis and organic chemistry.
bush26 is offline   Reply With Quote
wilsonkokwoon Male
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 21-03-2013 Default Re: chemical engineering vs petroleum engineering

thanks for ur reply~as a chemical engineer, do u need to always go to other countries for project? is a chemical engineer easy to venture oil n gas industry(if not graduate from utp)? the reason i choose UTP for chemical engineering is the coarse emphasize oil and gas..i hope i can work in oil n gas industry in the future~so other than utp which private university is good at petro engineering n chemical engineering?pls help me~
acgerlok7 Male
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

#4 Old 21-03-2013 Default Re: chemical engineering vs petroleum engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonkokwoon View Post
thanks for ur reply~as a chemical engineer, do u need to always go to other countries for project? is a chemical engineer easy to venture oil n gas industry(if not graduate from utp)? the reason i choose UTP for chemical engineering is the coarse emphasize oil and gas..i hope i can work in oil n gas industry in the future~so other than utp which private university is good at petro engineering n chemical engineering?pls help me~
Why would you want to enter oil and gas in the first place? Is it because of the money or salary, or out of pure interest. As a chemical engineer, you would have to be prepared for the tough working conditions if you want to work offshore. And what inspired you to become a chemical engineer?
acgerlok7 is offline   Reply With Quote
wilsonkokwoon Male
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 21-03-2013 Default Re: chemical engineering vs petroleum engineering

frankly, juz bcoz of the high salary...do u hav any idea about petro engineering n chem engineering? will a graduate(chem eng or petro eng) who from public university etc UM, UTM hard to find job and venture into private sector?(as u know bcoz these are public u)pls help me..ur comment is kindly appreciated
acgerlok7 Male
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

#6 Old 22-03-2013 Default Re: chemical engineering vs petroleum engineering

Then my advice is go and find your passion....discover it. Don't just enter OIl and GAs because you think it will fetch you a high salary. You will be dissapointed.
acgerlok7 is offline   Reply With Quote