ReCom.org
SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

Stpm

Rodimus Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 22-04-2013 Smile Stpm

i wish to studyform 6 and i would like to know, is it easy to get into dentistry in government unis? since there is not much ppl taking science in form 6. BTW im a chinese =D
Rodimus is offline   Reply With Quote
AsherLim Male
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 22-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

Hi, Dentistry itself is a really hard undergrad course to gain entry into. But if you are planning to do it in Malaysia, you should probably do Matriculation instead cuz it's really easier to get into govt units that way. But of course if there's a change in govt this time round, our education policy might change to one that favours form 6 students over matriculation which many of us know isn't really quite up to standard la. So, there's really a lot of uncertainty pertaining to this matter. But if you're like me, want to study overseas but no money, then form 6 would actually be your best choice provided that you do really well, which is of course the same with every exam in the world. Haha!
AsherLim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsherLim For This Useful Post:
Rodimus Male
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 26-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherLim View Post
Hi, Dentistry itself is a really hard undergrad course to gain entry into. But if you are planning to do it in Malaysia, you should probably do Matriculation instead cuz it's really easier to get into govt units that way. But of course if there's a change in govt this time round, our education policy might change to one that favours form 6 students over matriculation which many of us know isn't really quite up to standard la. So, there's really a lot of uncertainty pertaining to this matter. But if you're like me, want to study overseas but no money, then form 6 would actually be your best choice provided that you do really well, which is of course the same with every exam in the world. Haha!
But if I heard Chinese won't get the course they wan easily right?
AsherLim Male
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 26-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus View Post
But if I heard Chinese won't get the course they wan easily right?
Haha, I think that question can only be answered after May the 5th. But at the present moment, I guess it's a yes, Malays got 'special privileges' over the rest of us. Then again, it depends a lot on the competitiveness of the applicants. Maybe the more important question would be: "Do I really like Dentistry?" Some people are in it for the money but honestly you don't earn as much as you think you would. Trust me on this cuz my dad's a dentist. It takes a lot of patience and endurance to study dentistry and be a dentist. If you don't like it (like my dad) you will suffer quite a lot. Try to get an appointment with your dentist to sit in while he works on a couple of patients just so that you would know what you will be facing. Besides, if you really like it, it will be a plus point for your application and interviews.
Rodimus Male
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 26-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

Quote:
Haha, I think that question can only be answered after May the 5th. But at the present moment, I guess it's a yes, Malays got 'special privileges' over the rest of us. Then again, it depends a lot on the competitiveness of the applicants. Maybe the more important question would be: "Do I really like Dentistry?" Some people are in it for the money but honestly you don't earn as much as you think you would. Trust me on this cuz my dad's a dentist. It takes a lot of patience and endurance to study dentistry and be a dentist. If you don't like it (like my dad) you will suffer quite a lot. Try to get an appointment with your dentist to sit in while he works on a couple of patients just so that you would know what you will be facing. Besides, if you really like it, it will be a plus point for your application and interviews.
For all the science courses oso need alot of patient and endurance right? Anyway i chose dentistry according to my feelings lol, i just feel like wan ti take it
AsherLim Male
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 27-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

Quote:
For all the science courses oso need alot of patient and endurance right? Anyway i chose dentistry according to my feelings lol, i just feel like wan ti take it
Well, I would say that all uni courses are tough cuz the contents are much deeper and there's a lot more topics to cover than in high school. It also depends on which uni you go to. Like NUS, there's gonna be a lot of pressure because you will be competing with the best from all around the world. But I would say dentistry and medicine will be tougher than most other courses, mainly because not only the load and depth of the contents you have to study, but you also have to be really good with your hands, as it is put, dentistry in its essence is a blend if science and art. Well, if you love it, you will enjoy it. All the best!
yiling Female

#7 Old 27-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

Just a statistic for you. There are only 150+ places of dentistry in public u (UM, UKM, USM) and only 52 chinese got offered this course last year. Plus, none STPM students got dentistry last year (saw it on quansheng).

If you really want to do form 6, make sure you get 4.0 and take 5 subjects. It'll give you a better advantage. Interview plays an important role also.
yiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yiling For This Useful Post:
Rodimus Male
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 28-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

Quote:
Well, I would say that all uni courses are tough cuz the contents are much deeper and there's a lot more topics to cover than in high school. It also depends on which uni you go to. Like NUS, there's gonna be a lot of pressure because you will be competing with the best from all around the world. But I would say dentistry and medicine will be tougher than most other courses, mainly because not only the load and depth of the contents you have to study, but you also have to be really good with your hands, as it is put, dentistry in its essence is a blend if science and art. Well, if you love it, you will enjoy it. All the best!
In ur opinion will engineering tougher than medicine? I thought they have the same difficulty level, but the entry requirement for engineering is much much lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiling View Post
Just a statistic for you. There are only 150+ places of dentistry in public u (UM, UKM, USM) and only 52 chinese got offered this course last year. Plus, none STPM students got dentistry last year (saw it on quansheng).

If you really want to do form 6, make sure you get 4.0 and take 5 subjects. It'll give you a better advantage. Interview plays an important role also.
thx alooot for ur info for none stpm they muz get very very good results to enter government uni i think

Last edited by Rodimus; 28-04-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
AsherLim Male
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 28-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

[quote=Rodimus;402185]In ur opinion will engineering tougher than medicine? I thought they have the same difficulty level, but the entry requirement for engineering is much much lower

Hmmm, I wouldn't dare to answer that question cuz I'm not really into engineering so I wouldn't know much. I think a lot would depend on the interest and inclination of the individual. Some people are really good at Physics but are just okay at Chem. Some people are really good at Bio but are just okay at Physics. Like me, I'm inclined towards Bio so my Bio consistently outscore my Physics and Chemistry. Interest makes a lot of difference, I would say. It's difficult to compare because each profession has it's own specific skill sets. But that's just my opinion la. Haha!
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 29-04-2013 Default Re: Stpm

[quote=AsherLim;402209]
Quote:
In ur opinion will engineering tougher than medicine? I thought they have the same difficulty level, but the entry requirement for engineering is much much lower

Hmmm, I wouldn't dare to answer that question cuz I'm not really into engineering so I wouldn't know much. I think a lot would depend on the interest and inclination of the individual. Some people are really good at Physics but are just okay at Chem. Some people are really good at Bio but are just okay at Physics. Like me, I'm inclined towards Bio so my Bio consistently outscore my Physics and Chemistry. Interest makes a lot of difference, I would say. It's difficult to compare because each profession has it's own specific skill sets. But that's just my opinion la. Haha!
oh ok thx alooot for ur answers