ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

kylietee Female
Super Junior Member

#111 Old 21-05-2010 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

hello there, i'd like to ask few questions regarding ADP (american degree programme). is it true that ADP closes doors to ivy leagues or even top ranked universities in the US? and since ADP is a credit transfer programme, are the students in said programme supposed to take SAT? so even if you achieve great scores in SAT, you're denied from ivy leagues because of ADP? i hope someone can clear my doubts here. thank you!
kylietee is offline   Reply With Quote
clep Female

#112 Old 21-05-2010 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Great scores in the SAT do NOT in any way determine your acceptance to top universities. Just wanted to clear that up just in case some people were thinking along those lines.
clep is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#113 Old 21-05-2010 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylietee View Post
hello there, i'd like to ask few questions regarding ADP (american degree programme). is it true that ADP closes doors to ivy leagues or even top ranked universities in the US? and since ADP is a credit transfer programme, are the students in said programme supposed to take SAT? so even if you achieve great scores in SAT, you're denied from ivy leagues because of ADP? i hope someone can clear my doubts here. thank you!
In a sense, yes. ADP do close the door to ivy league. However, this is just because most ivy league schools do not accept ADP transfer credits. So, if you got in, you'll probably have to restart again or transfer less credit than you would like. The only inconvenience to this is usually the time and money factor. The schools does not discriminate because you took ADP.

To apply, you usually need SAT or ACT because that's one of the standardized method for comparison among the applicants.
Super Junior Member

#114 Old 26-07-2010 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Will I be able to use a retired teacher's recommendations?
cherryh92 is offline   Reply With Quote
GuanTyng
Less Junior Member

#115 Old 30-07-2010 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Anyone is interested to buy second-hand SAT I books?

I have one copy each from Princeton Review (2009 Ed.), Kaplan (2009 Ed.), McGraw Hill (2nd Edition) and College Board.

For SAT II Subject Test copy(Total Clean Copy..~!!!)

Physics: Kaplan (2008-09 Ed.)
Math Level 2: Barron's (8th Ed.)
Chemistry: Barron's (9th Ed.)

I am selling these for a third of the book's original price. (It's still negotiable according to the condition of the book!) The purpose is to recycle them instead of selling them to the paper recycling centre, it would be such a waste. These books are still very useful as soon as the test's format doesn't change.
Remember, practice makes perfect!

Anyone who is interested, please contact me as soon as possible at [email address]

Since I am departing on AUG 17, please act fast if you want cheap second-handed books.
Super Junior Member

#116 Old 30-07-2010 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quick Question :- Any feedbacks, agreement or disagreement below write up ???

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/f...aste-of-money/

thanks
ChewKO is offline   Reply With Quote
jimi7
Super Junior Member

#117 Old 05-09-2010 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewKO View Post
Quick Question :- Any feedbacks, agreement or disagreement below write up ???

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/f...aste-of-money/

thanks
I think you can't simply generalize all American universities to be like that. It is as if US is so small and has only a few universities that you can judge it only by that. I say research for some universities that are good in some particular areas of study you wanted to pursue and you will know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
Is IELTS accepted as a viable alternative?
Yes, I applied to UIUC and they accepted ielts. Try to look at the university's website properly and see their requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryh92 View Post
Will I be able to use a retired teacher's recommendations?
as long as the person knows you very well and can gives you very good recommendation(see good teacher's recommendation) it would be fine

Last edited by jimi7; 05-09-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
jimi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#118 Old 12-02-2012 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Mod note: Please refrain from posting the same post in multiple threads.

Redundant post removed.

#119 Old 10-05-2013 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Kaplan Biology 2007-2008 Edition - unmarked
The Princeton Review 11 Practice Tests for the SAT 2007 Edition - light pencil markings
The Princeton Review Cracking the SAT 2007 Edition - unmarked
The College Board 10 Real SATs, 2nd edition - unmarked
Kaplan SAT 2400 Advanced Prep for Advanced Students 2006 Edition - light pencil markings
Kaplan 12 Practice Tests for the SAT, 2005 - pencil markings on 2 tests
The Princeton Review Cracking the SAT Math 1&2 Subject Tests 2007-2008 Edition - unmarked
McGraw Hill's SAT I Second edition - unmarked
Collegeboard the Official SAT Study Guide - light pencil markings

On average, each book cost us RM70, so in total we paid RM630.

But, we're selling the whole set for RM100 only!

This is a lot of books, so you can share with your friends if you're short on cash.

For pick up in Batu Pahat and Puchong/KL only. Please PM if interested.
aquila is offline   Reply With Quote