ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Scholarships

Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

Genting Scholarship 2013

betularia92 Male
Super Junior Member

#11 Old 27-04-2013 Default Re: Genting Scholarship 2013

Hi people. I was one of the shortlisted candidates for Genting GENM scholarship last year (2012) and I'm here to share my experience with you guys. Please keep in mind that this assessment format is largely adopted by many companies and forms the backbone of those selection processes. They are largely similar. Why? Because companies do not directly evaluate the candidates. They hire companies to select the best candidates. How did I find out? Because last year, 2012 I met the same interviewers from Genting in my Khazanah interview. Shhh~ Just keep it between you and me ok? Let's not blow their cover.
Now let's go through the evaluation process by Genting last year...

A total of 40 candidates were shortlisted by Genting. After the registration session at around 7/8am, we were ushered into a meeting room where the Genting HR explained the 3 different scholarships they offer. 1)Local public 2) Local private 3)Overseas. Each with different benefits, proportion of tuition fees covered, allowance, etc. Then the plan for the day was revealed: We were split into 2 groups of 20, one group would undergo interviews in the morning, then group project in the evening; the other vice versa. And so my interview was scheduled in the morning, among the last ones.

Challenge #1: Interview
Every candidate was interviewed for an average of 20 minutes by the management of Genting. There were a total of 3 interview rooms in which you'd find 3 interviewers. Let's not go through the details of the interview, since everyone has their own strategy of tackling it. You could most likely see their interest in you from the duration. Mine lasted for 40 minutes, my friends said, but it felt like 15 minutes only. After the interview, we had the chance to indulge in Genting's hospitality, buffet lunch, which few found appetizing due to the tense atmosphere (LOL).

Challenge #2: Group project
So after our lunch, the two groups swapped. My group was further divided into two groups where we were supposed to compete against the opposing team to solve a problem. The assignment was laid out, then we were given a lmited amount of time to solve it as a team, present the plausibility and effectiveness of the solution to the panel. Expect 'The Apprentice' style of interrogation from them, which questions your teamwork, leadership, loyalty kind of thing. Avoid getting agitated by any unfriendly answers directed at you, because the session is quickly followed by some aptitude test...

Challenge #3: Aptitude test
We were tested on our language skills, logical thinking and sorts with some worksheets. At this point, I was exhausted. I thought I was done.

Challenge #4: EQ test
But no, it's time to test your EQ where you're called in groups of three, given various scenarios and see how you react to the situation. Nerve wrecking...

And that was the last session. After which I was ushered back to join the rest in a debriefing session, where the assessment officers explained the meaning behind each assessment, eased the atmosphere (futile effort really, I was numbed by my fatigue instead) and offered a Q&A session. Lastly, we were informed of an online IQ test (Challenge #5) after a week, and in due time, successful candidates would be notified via email.

So that concludes the Genting interview... I wasn't selected in the end though, but I hope my information would be helpful to you. Keep your hopes high, be passionate and enthusiastic. Make some friends in the candidate pool. (These are rare occasions to meet awesome people) And lastly, all the best in your interviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by potassiumhydride View Post
Just e-mail..
Any idea what sort of questions they asked?

Some mentioned bout essay writing..
What were the previous years' title?? o.o

Btw, how many candidates are selected each year?

Thanks to anyone who might reply me in advance. XD
There's a short essay writing in the aptitude test to evaluate a situation (logic testing). There's very little time given to write actually so I don't think you can produce some fancy stuff out of it.

Number of candidates wise, they couldn't answer because they weren't certain. It's true if you put yourself in their shoes. (The following is my prediction) Firstly, their budget for scholars may vary each year. Second, the quality of candidates: if there are tonnes of quality candidates in the pool, of course they will try to absorb as many as possible, though budget is a limiting factor. If the quality is poor, then perhaps there'll be fewer recipients.

Last edited by betularia92; 27-04-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
betularia92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betularia92 For This Useful Post:
sophieying Female
Super Junior Member

#12 Old 27-04-2013 Default Re: Genting Scholarship 2013

Thank you for sharing with us your experience. We appreciate it very much. By the way, did they ask you about the latest news or something related to it? Also, do we have to memorise all of the background of genting? will they ask a lot of questions about genting?

Last edited by sophieying; 27-04-2013 at 02:33 PM.
sophieying is offline   Reply With Quote
betularia92 Male
Super Junior Member

#13 Old 27-04-2013 Default Re: Genting Scholarship 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophieying View Post
Thank you for sharing with us your experience. We appreciate it very much. By the way, did they ask you about the latest news or something related to it? Also, do we have to memorise all of the background of genting? will they ask a lot of questions about genting?
Haha, dear. I believe you know best what to prepare for an interview. My answer doesn't matter because even if they didn't ask last year, they may ask this year. Anything can happen. I'll give you a tip:
Try putting yourself in your sponsors' shoes and ask what traits you seek in a candidate. If he/she appears uninterested in your company, will you hire him/her?

There are plenty of online resources available to help you prepare, not only for scholarship in particular. Keep in mind that you are also indirectly interviewing for a job with your sponsor. All the best and I look forward to receive good news from you
betularia92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to betularia92 For This Useful Post:
sophieying Female
Super Junior Member

#14 Old 27-04-2013 Default Re: Genting Scholarship 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by betularia92 View Post
Haha, dear. I believe you know best what to prepare for an interview. My answer doesn't matter because even if they didn't ask last year, they may ask this year. Anything can happen. I'll give you a tip:
Try putting yourself in your sponsors' shoes and ask what traits you seek in a candidate. If he/she appears uninterested in your company, will you hire him/her?

There are plenty of online resources available to help you prepare, not only for scholarship in particular. Keep in mind that you are also indirectly interviewing for a job with your sponsor. All the best and I look forward to receive good news from you
Thank you~
Jeffrey94 Male
Super Junior Member

#15 Old 29-04-2013 Default Re: Genting Scholarship 2013

I have not received the email from genting. arghhh. think i am out haih
Jeffrey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
sophieying Female
Super Junior Member

#16 Old 29-04-2013 Default Re: Genting Scholarship 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey94 View Post
I have not received the email from genting. arghhh. think i am out haih
Go and try to apply for other scholarships. Don't give up your hope.
sophieying Female
Super Junior Member

#17 Old 11-05-2013 Default Re: Genting Scholarship 2013

who will be going to the genting scholarship interview ?
sophieying Female
Super Junior Member

#18 Old 13-05-2013 Default Re: Genting Scholarship 2013

ok, now i know it. Just now the Genting sent to me a reminder email and from that email I have known that a total of 40 students (I saw their email addresses) will be going to attend the Genting scholarship assessment...........now i'm getting nervous >.<

Last edited by sophieying; 13-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.