ReCom.org
Psychology Want to read people's mind? Know something about the brain composition? Come here.

The Power of Words

vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#1 Old 06-11-2005 Default The Power of Words

words are the basic elements of sentences and in a bigger scale, our language...

bacause of this, the choice of words that we use in everyday life whether in spoken or written, in formal and formal form, affects and reflects our very own view of the world and how it will look at us...

try this for yourself...when you do something, say this to yourself :

"i'll try to do it"

and then later, at an another task, say to yourself

"i will do it"

you'll see the effect immediately...

views on this anyone??

would like to hear your own experiences on how your words affect your outlook on life

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
PeiWen

#2 Old 05-02-2006 Default

Besides words, I think one's commitment and determination are essential too. Despite that, I think the person who has spoken the words, if he/she is someone has deep impact or has great influence on us, I think words from his/her mouth are powerful, too.
Just my two cents~
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 05-02-2006 Default

This topic is timely as there are so many words criss-crossing in combat in ReCom forum.

"The pen is mightier than the sword or more relevant to this age; words can be superior to action." Cliche as it may sound but it holds immense truth. History has revealed to us that words are always the trigger to changes though inevitably followed by action. At their best, merely words alone can consummate love, passion and ideals. At their worst, words can be deadly. We should master words and use them with caution, no?

" It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart
away."
- Bee Gees

"I had lost faith in the word. Censorship gave it back to me."
by Stanislaw Jerzey LEC Polish writer (1909-1966)
The Student
Administrator

#4 Old 05-02-2006 Default

i haven been to recom since early december due to certain circumstances...and until iqing told me that recom had became a forum for criss crossing of words, i do't know what is happening now...

i would say, the mind is the predecessor of all actions, conciously or subconciously...but the ultimate magnifestation will be our actions and words, with more emphasis on the second factor.

since we tend to talk while being infuenced by our emotions, we tend to hurt others around us many times..that's why there should be restraints put up onto us, not by force, but voluntarily.

Everyone should understand that being totally free means we are being imprisoned if we can't read what is the real freedom.

to be able to restraint ourselves is total freedom, that means we are in control of our minds and actions..and if everyone are able to do that, i can envision a very very nice earth to live in...hmm...looks like this will stay a dream until humans are able to control themselves...

yes, pens are mightier than swords, so use it with caution, for it is a sword without a handle (am i correct, pls tell if i used the wrong word and it will cut you if you use it to cut others...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
LilDeviant
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 07-02-2006 Default

well, i totally agree with the claim that having total freedom is the ability to control our mind and action.. but speaking of restraints.. well who is to determine what kind of restraints should we followed?
LilDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#6 Old 08-02-2006 Default

well..i do speak of voluntary self control didn't i??..

it's up to us ourselves to determine what kind of restraint..we all are intelegent enuf to know what is good and what is bad..then follow your heart..it's that simple....to say...and hard to do..

it's easy to fall into temptation though...

iQing

#7 Old 08-02-2006 Default

I think autogenics and self affirmation are some of the effective skills of using words to manipulate your reality.
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#8 Old 09-02-2006 Default

hmm..mind elabotating on that??