ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

Restl3ss
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#11 Old 17-06-2010 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

Or Recom.

But it's not only that. People can gain access to tons of movies or series easily, and spend lots of time watching it with the internet. Thus, time wasted again.

Besides, I think it's an irony that people get addicted to the social network, facebook easily, commenting here and there, but get more and more distant between people in the real world. For example, when was the last time you talked to your neighbours?
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#12 Old 18-06-2010 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restl3ss View Post
Or Recom.

But it's not only that. People can gain access to tons of movies or series easily, and spend lots of time watching it with the internet. Thus, time wasted again.

Besides, I think it's an irony that people get addicted to the social network, facebook easily, commenting here and there, but get more and more distant between people in the real world. For example, when was the last time you talked to your neighbours?
Funnily enough, the people I interact with on Facebook the most are the people I see on an almost daily basis.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
frankchong

#13 Old 18-06-2010 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

Get real, technology in itself is neutral. It is how you make use of the technology that makes the difference. If one were to limit the use of technology just because of the fear that people may use it in the wrong way, then where is the limit. Ban all cars because of the number of deaths on road accidents? Ban rice, sugar ... because people would over eat leading to metabolic diseases like diabetes etc???
What is harmful or not depends a lot on your criteria. Almost every one would agree that improve living conditions and saving lives is good, but the action is also getting the world over populated, resource depleted to the point that it is pushing the earths' limit to support human population, if it is allowed to grow unchecked. So, tell me what is good? It is easy to react on the gut (emotional level or animal instinct) level, but if you think critically, it is not as simple as most people think.
The internet, with increasing bandwidth at lower cost would give us the ability to create virtual presence, reducing the need for expensive and resource intensive travel to meet people.
The future is what we want to make it to be, the internet is a tool to achieve those goals. It is societies that can exploit technologies successfully that brings advancement to human kind. Societies that lack the skills and understanding live in fear, look into the past that no longer exist. If Malaysia wants to be a high income society, it has no choice but to master these skills. (Note: there are politicians talking about high income society, but not nurturing critical human resources. With no improvement in productivity, you can get high income by print more money, but you would not buy more goods with more money this way).

regards,
Frank
frankchong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frankchong For This Useful Post:
kaze
Less Junior Member

#14 Old 18-06-2010 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

Quote:
In my opinion, the bad part of the internet is, it creates a virtual world that everyone is so attached to, that people eventually begin to neglect the reality world.
I had one class in which we discussed about "virtual world". Of course what is "real" and what is "virtual" is another topic by itself, but for the sake of argument, let's just say social networking sites, chat-rooms and the likes are "virtual" and our physical interaction with other people, without the Internet is "real". There is one article about this woman, who fell in love with the person she met online, and "virtually" married to this guy. Her "real-world" husband divorced her when he found out, and this woman decided to meet with her "virtual" husband, only to realized that this person in real world had no similarity to the one she married to online.

From that story, we know that the guy she married in the "virtual" world chose to portray himself differently than the "real" him. Why? Maybe because he thought that his appearance / traits in "real" life is undesirable to woman, and maybe by 'disguising' himself, he got some sort of self-satisfaction. Perhaps.

But there are also another interesting story about "virtual" world. Have you guys heard of Second Life? It's a virtual world created by Linden Lab, and it's like the Sims + RPG + facebook. In Second Life, you can walk, you can dance, and you can fly! Seriously, you can fly. And there are disabled people who enjoy playing Second Life because it gives them this sense of freedom, being able to do what they cannot do in "real" world due to their disability.
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#15 Old 18-06-2010 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

With regards to the impact of virtual communication on human relationship, I actually did a whole research and wrote a "review" on it when I was in AUSMAT six years ago. You can view it online here:

Does Electronic Messaging Bring Us Closer to One Another?

The main points of my research are as follows:

The Nature of EM Environment
a) Reduced Discernible Personal Characteristics
b) Text-Only Communication
c) Unconventional Style of Writing
d) Absence of Physical Interaction
e) Anonymous and Easily Fabricated
f) Alternative Tempo of Communication
g) Ephemeral Nature of Connection

The Benefits of EM on Human Relationships
a) EM is Cheap, Fast and Easily Accessible
b) EM Reduces Prejudice in Communication
c) EM Removes Social Inhibition
d) EM Allows Better Expression in Communication

The Drawbacks of EM on Human Relationships
a) Relationships Fostered via EM are largely superficial
b) EM Users Have Less Trust in Online Relationships
c) EM Correspondences can be Trivial and Less Emotive
d) EM Potentially Deteriorates Real-Life Human Relationships
e) Heavy EM Users become Inapt in Real-Life Communication

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
manglish_lysia
Less Junior Member

#16 Old 18-06-2010 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

Say from an online addict, internet is the best way to kill time when your bored, meet crazy people, go crazy, do something that you like and ....

Be yourself.

I have met someone whom I am really close to and my friend told that internet to him/her, is like a baton to life. Being just ordinary people reading extraordinary people's succes, anyone bound to have the urge be something or someone. Sometimes, internet is just like an outlet. When he/she play an online game, he/she felt that he/she is able to control her life. Holding the mousem hammering the keyboard for a character that resemble he/her in real life. For that moment, he/she felt the statisfied feeling of being able to grab hold of him/her-self again. I must say that he/she is a very well-known figure in one of the online game.

( he/she is to protect the gender)

Bad or good, depends how one sees it. =)

Loves pasta more than anything!
Top with chicken meatballs and a good homemade sauce from 100% organic ingredients.
manglish_lysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Restl3ss
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#17 Old 18-06-2010 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassylicious View Post
Funnily enough, the people I interact with on Facebook the most are the people I see on an almost daily basis.
For some, yes. But for some it's really I have thousands of facebook friends and two facebook accounts because the previous one had already reached its limit.

I'm not denying that the internet brings us good too. I'm just stressing the one bad point about internet that I'm worried about.

Yes technology is neutral and yes, only we can fully utilize it. But I think it's true to some sense that not all can really discipline themselves and resist the temptation of the internet.

If you can hide beneath a mask in the internet, and everyone loves you there, in contrast with you real-life that most of your friends think you are quite gloomy, why stress so much with the real-life while you are happy and contented here?

This really just applies for some. While for the good and bad effects of this virtual world, youngyew nearly had it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manglish_lysia View Post
Say from an online addict, internet is the best way to kill time when your bored, meet crazy people, go crazy, do something that you like and ....

Be yourself.

I have met someone whom I am really close to and my friend told that internet to him/her, is like a baton to life. Being just ordinary people reading extraordinary people's succes, anyone bound to have the urge be something or someone. Sometimes, internet is just like an outlet. When he/she play an online game, he/she felt that he/she is able to control her life. Holding the mousem hammering the keyboard for a character that resemble he/her in real life. For that moment, he/she felt the statisfied feeling of being able to grab hold of him/her-self again. I must say that he/she is a very well-known figure in one of the online game.

( he/she is to protect the gender)

Bad or good, depends how one sees it. =)
Yes, that's why. It's good to have some place being loved at. And a place to vent everything out. But we just shouldn't go over-attached to it.

Last edited by Restl3ss; 18-06-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Restl3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
yhu1 Female
Super Junior Member

#18 Old 21-12-2010 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

Quote:
In my opinion, the bad part of the internet is, it creates a virtual world that everyone is so attached to, that people eventually begin to neglect the reality world.

I agree too....
But after all, i think that Internet really bring us more good than harm.
Before we connect to the internet, please be alert towards its disadvantages!
yhu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
vampiric_guy_01 Male

#19 Old 18-03-2011 Default Re: Does the Internet brings more harm than good?

internet bring harm or good is all depends on the user itself.... if you're a good user and used it in a right way and stay alert.. then its good =)

God made us with a reason and give us the best path... i'm here with a reason and so are you....
Be the best of yourself and live life
vampiric_guy_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vampiric_guy_01 For This Useful Post: