ReCom.org
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships Everything about scholarships provided by the Public Services Department of Malaysia

Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

sewah Female
Super Junior Member

#11 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

hi i just received an offer letter for A levels in intec. i am pursuing medicine. so i was wondering if anybody could tell me how is life there? what is the toughness level of the A level syllabus?
sewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Renpei Male
Super Junior Member

#12 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

There are three main branches doing Edexcel Alevel medicine in INtec:
If you are IMU bound student: you take Bio, Math&Stat and CHem
If you are PMC bound student: you take Phy, Bio and CHem
If you are MMMC bound student: you take Bio, MAth&Stat and Chem
Side papers are english and ethics study
Bio is consider quite tough cause it isn't look like SPM bio at all, u dnt memorise evrything and "regurgitate" in exam. The syllabus will focus more on applications.
Erm.. for those that are PMC bound they are having problem with PHY, most of them get grade B only.
For the other subjects, still ok.. what u need to do is to read the textbooks provided and go through some past year.. that's all
Renpei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renpei For This Useful Post:
AuDrEySnOwY
Super Junior Member

#13 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

What about Medicine in New Zealand? Is it very competitive to gain admission in comparison with the Australia's university?
AuDrEySnOwY is offline   Reply With Quote
Renpei Male
Super Junior Member

#14 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDrEySnOwY View Post
What about Medicine in New Zealand? Is it very competitive to gain admission in comparison with the Australia's university?
erm.. that one i'm not sure because i'm taking Alevel. GOing to Aus and NZealand is under AUsMAT.. but what i understand is that there are pharmacy student going both places. Medic... nvr heard
Renpei is offline   Reply With Quote
AuDrEySnOwY
Super Junior Member

#15 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

I am under Ausmat, going to New zealand for medicine.
AuDrEySnOwY is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#16 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDrEySnOwY View Post
I'm not entirely sure about exactly how competitive Medicine in New Zealand is because I'm studying in Australia, but I'll try.

Medicine in NZ is a bit different because you enter university as a first year Health Science student and then, upon sufficiently high academic performance, enter medicine in the second year. In Australia, you enter straight from AusMat.

The good news is; the AusMat entry requirements into Year 1 Health Science is probably a lot lower than entry into undergraduate medicine in Australia.

The bad new, however, means that you'll be competing with other university students for entry; not just those who are keen on entering medicine but also for other courses like Pharmacy and Dentistry. There will be a larger emphasis on your university performance as it will ultimately determine whether you will be admitted into Medicine in second year or be relegated to another health-related course.

I think you'll also need to take either the ISAT or UMAT admission test. I'm not sure if there's an interview requirement for NZ medicine. Perhaps a medical student from NZ can fill up my gaps in knowledge.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by Young; 22-05-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Young is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:
skatemusicianer Male
Less Junior Member

#17 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewah View Post
hi i just received an offer letter for A levels in intec. i am pursuing medicine. so i was wondering if anybody could tell me how is life there? what is the toughness level of the A level syllabus?
Hi there. Glad to know you're headed here. I'm your super senior, so I'm leaving soon. Going through A levels now.
Well, life is definitely independence here, except for the few rules that the college imposes to keep us back in the hostels by 11pm and clothes. Other than that, you're gonna be on your own.

It's a great time, trust me. Make friends, and explore. I would say that the best part of INTEC was meeting people from all over Malaysia, learning to tolerate each other and build lifelong relationships, and a gathering called Campus Alive. For medicine, remember that these are your future colleagues. ; )

There is a lot of time actually. And ample holidays. So don't stress out on your exams. In fact, the last semester, the fourth, is very very free. You'll have enough time to review everything before your exams. And the A-levels are very stretched apart. 2 or 3 papers a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiyeen View Post
I'm also going to INTEC for AUSMAT this July, looking forward to meet you guys there!
Anyway, I've read the Recom Wiki About Intec and was stunned by the dress codes. I'm just wondering if the dress code is really strict? (Especially the rule where your top must cover your butt O_O)
Haha no your top does not have to cover your butt (strictly). But if you're gonna show your waistline, I think it's a no-no too.
Yes the dress codes are implemented VERY strictly, especially for girls. I'm sad to say that on the HOT and SWEATY days, you'll still have to wear long sleeves. But I'd recommend a cardigan, something to just wear first, later you can take it off once you're out of the gate (if you're headed out to the movies or wherever). It's the guards you want to watch out for. In INTEC itself, you should wear your cardigan too.

I'm a blogger!
www.theskatemusicianer.blogspot.com

Dear juniors, more info on life in INTEC here:
http://campusalive.wordpress.com/intec/

Last edited by skatemusicianer; 22-05-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
skatemusicianer is offline   Reply With Quote
AnnieChan Female

#18 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

is it correct to assume then that we are not guaranteed a place to study medicine even if we have entered the uni in NZ as first year students ( sorry, i know its unrelated to topic )

Would anyone care to explain the structure of the Ausmat programme in INTEC ? eg. the syllabus etc. thanks !

Last edited by AnnieChan; 22-05-2010 at 06:38 PM.
AnnieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#19 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieChan View Post
is it correct to assume then that we are not guarantted a place to study medicine even if we have entered the unis as first year students ( sorry, i know its unrelated to topic )

Would anyone care to explain the structure of the Ausmat programme in INTEC ? eg. the syllabus etc. thanks !
Yes, you are correct. Entry into first year health science in NZ does not guarantee you a pathway into medicine.

For your second question, I'd recommend browsing through the numerous posts of ReCom on this topic or Googling it.

To start you off, AusMat at INTEC is actually the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE). AusMat is just a misleading name adpoted by Malaysians to refer to all Australian Pre-University programmes.
AnnieChan Female

#20 Old 22-05-2010 Default Re: Q&A about Life in INTEC 2010

ahh.. i see thanks young !

i went asking about NZ unis once in an edu. fair.. It turns out there's only one university thats offering medicine in NZ, according to the lecturer i was talking to. but i don't remember which one was it.. so i'll just post it up when i find the brochure
AnnieChan is offline   Reply With Quote