ReCom.org
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships Everything about scholarships provided by the Public Services Department of Malaysia

Section Renamed

vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#1 Old 17-09-2010 Default Section Renamed

Because of the increasingly frequent queries about Java Persistence API, which unfortunately shares the same short form as Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA), this section is renamed to its English name instead.

You may state here whether you agree with this decision or not, and please state the reason why.

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#2 Old 17-09-2010 Default Re: Section Renamed

Yeah, but it doesn't have the familiar feel to it. I'm so not used to seeing public service department instead of jpa.
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 17-09-2010 Default Re: Section Renamed

You might as well use the bahasa version of the full name?

Feel free to add me (drop me a message beforehand)
Lance_Kuan is offline   Reply With Quote
sleevelesssky Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#4 Old 17-09-2010 Default Re: Section Renamed

I'm fine with PSD. Thanks See Hua for sorting things out!
The Student
Administrator

#5 Old 17-09-2010 Default Re: Section Renamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Kuan View Post
You might as well use the bahasa version of the full name?
Perhaps, what do the others say about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capablanca View Post
Yeah, but it doesn't have the familiar feel to it. I'm so not used to seeing public service department instead of jpa.
Same feeling here, but we really need to filter out those people who never read before posting into a irrelevant forum.

Maybe a good compromise will be "Public Services Department(JPA) Scholarships"?

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Holyboy27
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 17-09-2010 Default Re: Section Renamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseehua View Post
Perhaps, what do the others say about this?

Same feeling here, but we really need to filter out those people who never read before posting into a irrelevant forum.

Maybe a good compromise will be "Public Services Department(JPA) Scholarships"?
I suppose this is a better solution. I almost didnt see this section when I logged in just now.
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#7 Old 18-09-2010 Default Re: Section Renamed

I think the new name "Public Service Department (JPA)" is fine, but is a bit long. It's just a bit of an aesthetic issue but I guess we will get used to it soon enough.

The other alternative is to edit the description of the section. At the moment it says "everything about JPA", and if you try to google "JPA forum" the first link unfortunately links to our JPA section and the google search snippet only says "Everything about JPA. ... Threads in Forum : JPA, Forum Tools ... Sticky: Poll: A Big Thread ".

If we change the "everything about JPA" description to "Everything about the Jabatan Perhidmatan Awam scholarship (Public Service Department)" we might be able to reduce such incidences.

youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
frankchong

#8 Old 18-09-2010 Default Re: Section Renamed

I think JPA is the same government agency we used to call PSC (Public Service Commission), PSC will be a better term to use, unless it causes other problems.
If you want to know what PSC does, you can look up PSC in Singapore and other countries.

regards,
Frank
frankchong is offline   Reply With Quote
Holyboy27
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 23-09-2010 Default Re: Section Renamed

There is a spelling mistake in the "Perkihdmatan". Shouldn't it be "Perkhidmatan"?