ReCom.org
All thing Linux Anything related to the penguin.

Linux for laptops..

Dharman100
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 28-11-2003 Default Linux for laptops..

Hello ppl..

I am planning to get to know Linux much better without risking my current PC contents..so i m planning to buy a second hand laptop.. But I am still quite blur about the required specs to run the current linux distributions.. the laptop is not for gaming or for any heavy softwares such as image-editing or so.. i wanna do some programming, some linux and try out opensource distributions..

So, I really need some advice from our Recom pros..About the hardware..and also the best linux distribution for laptops..

I bet a lot of ppl out there are going crazy about this LINUX for LAPTOPS thingy too..

So..pls help us out..

Mfg,
Dharman100
Dharman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
littlebigone Male
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 28-11-2003 Default

if you're only going to do what you stated without any worries about music, sound, video and other stuff. Then I think almost any distro would do. Most hardware conflicts are with sound and video cards.

The only other thing that would concern me is conflict with modem/network card.

I hope I answered part of your question. I'll do more research and try to answer you better. If you have more specific questions, maybe you can post it.
littlebigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Dharman100
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 29-11-2003 Default

Thanks a zillion for the reply, man.... About sound.. i would love to hav some mp3s..in my laptop...But lets solve that problem later..

My main concern is the requirements for the laptop itself to support latest linux distributions..so that i can decide on the specs of my future laptop...

Moreover, it will be great to get some news about the best linux distribution for laptops.. someone suggested SuSe...any opinions??

Mfg,
Dharman100
Dharman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
screw3d

#4 Old 06-12-2003 Default

I am not an expert in Linux, but I do know that Linux would run on pretty-low powered systems.

The problem is not with installing/running Linux itself, but the applications that come with it might not run well on lower-end systems.

Depending on your (future) laptop's configuration, different distros have different system requirements. The last time I checked, you could even run some distros on a 486 processor. So I guess you'll do fine on whatever laptop you'll get. Just don't go too cheap

I read through some forums and apparently Mandrake is a very popular choice for starters.

When in doubt, google!
screw3d is offline   Reply With Quote
masterof_none
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Old 06-12-2003 Default

Linux has very few requirement. You can run Linux on almost any Intel processor (unless yours is older than 386, which is almost non-existent now).

All you need to have is a PC running Intel processor. That's all. !

But if I were you, I won't buy a laptop for my donkey work on Linux, but I would have an old PC that still capable of running Windows (I own one!). Then, I'll delete Windows, and install 100% linux, that's better
Also, you don't have to worry about partition and stuff.
(this is , of course, my own suggestion only)

But if you still want to paritition your hard disk, then , you probably have to read through the Installation manual for distro that you chose.

You can use Mandrake, SUse, or Redhat if you want to get it up and running quickly.

But , if you have more time, I suggest you get one of these:
Debian or Slackware.

If you want all things work out nicely, then , you probably want Mandrake, suse, redhat. THose distros usually support a wide range of video/sound cards.

The best way to get started is to visit their websites.
www.debian.org
www.slackware.com
www.redhat.com
etc.
masterof_none is offline   Reply With Quote
littlebigone Male
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 06-12-2003 Default

Read this link. A summary of conflicts that you may want to look out for

http://www.tuxmobil.org/Mobile-Guide...-features.html

A detailed discussion of each hardware that may or may not go into your lappy:
http://www.tuxmobil.org/Mobile-Guide...-hardware.html
littlebigone Male
Slightly Senior Member

#7 Old 06-12-2003 Default

another link to popular laptop manufacturers for linux.
Clicking on the "more" link in the community column will take you to a page that displays the models from that manufacturer.

There is a link for each model and what the user had to do to get the lappy to work. Covers everything from distro, driver installation, hardware conflicts...blah blah blah...

http://tuxmobil.org/laptop_manufacturer.html
equuelus
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 29-12-2003 Default

if u are really serious about linux, i suggest you build the whole system from scratch. This way, you'll understand more. Read this for more info.

http://lfs.crash404.com/lfs/view/stable/
equuelus is offline   Reply With Quote
sueyi
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 30-12-2003 Default linux

Hi Dharman .. I have Redhat 8 with Windows XP dual boot on a Dell Inspiron 4150 ... I had XP on there first, and then partitioned the space (with partition magic) and installed Redhat 8 using a cd ... I was really surprised that the installation was so easy, like a windows installation, and everything worked from the beginning. Sound, ethernet card, etc. Also I'm not a linux pro -- after I had that when I wanted to install licq (a linux icq client) it was my very first time dealing with redhat package manager, but I just followed instructions and it turned out to be very easy (or maybe I'm very lucky ) ... so, I think redhat must be one of the least intimidating distros.
sueyi is offline   Reply With Quote
sueyi
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 30-12-2003 Default

ehh .. if anyone is going to start fiddling with a computer that has an OS already installed over the whole hard disk, like mine was ... BACK UP data first!!! just in case.
sueyi is offline   Reply With Quote