ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Liberal Recom?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #11 Old 09-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Is this name-calling?

Wouldn't it be less idiotic to act upon one's conviction?
Only if you really believe that you're an idiot. Notice that I never mentioned anyone specifically.

And acting upon one's conviction, like deciding to have breakfast because one believes in the importance of it, is not wrong. However, forcing everyone around you to have breakfast with you would be considered rather idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_dreamer View Post
Maybe we can have a room here, a mini subforum for those radically minded? BUT then again, if we do that, we risk our self getting detained by the ISA.
There are many such places all over the internet. It's pretty easy to find them with Google. However, such places should never be frequented as psychologically speaking, having a discussion with a group of strong-minded people (especially in a negative way) can influence your thoughts and behaviors as well.
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.

Last edited by Dominic; 09-09-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
  #12 Old 09-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Only if you really believe that you're an idiot. Notice that I never mentioned anyone specifically.
==

Nothing against you, but the reason I (apparently) oppose to calling people idiots (or an opinion idiotic) in this forum is that it tends to inhibit an open and honest exchange of ideas and opinion.

Alright, everybody go on with their discussion. Not going to start an argument on this.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #13 Old 09-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
==

Nothing against you, but the reason I (apparently) oppose to calling people idiots (or an opinion idiotic) in this forum is that it tends to inhibit an open and honest exchange of ideas and opinion.

Alright, everybody go on with their discussion. Not going to start an argument on this.
OK, was wondering what your comment meant at first.

Saying XXX is an idiot would be name-calling. You do have to admit that some people are just plain idiotic at times. If someone said that women do not deserve equal rights as men because they are beneath us, wouldn't you call that idiotic?
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.

Last edited by Dominic; 09-09-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
  #14 Old 09-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
If someone said that women do not deserve equal rights as men because they are beneath us, wouldn't you call that idiotic?
Calling him/her or their opinion idiotic wouldn't be helpful to convince that said person otherwise.

[after deliberating for 20 seconds: But that is the case only if we believe in pure reason, which I don't. If it is in your interest to make the person agree with you, then perhaps you might want to shame him/her into agreeing with you, either by appealing to whatever authority or exerting pressure apart from (or instead of!) arguing "rationally". The power of rational reasoning in persuasion is limited. The reasoning process alone won't tell us whether we should repeal the Article 377b of the Penal Code, whether abortion should be allowed etc, unless we share some common fundamental values/beliefs which may act as "axioms" in our discussion/debate/argument from which other opinion can be developed.]

Sometimes, when we recommers debate on certain social/political issues, we are actually disagreeing on those fundamental values that serve as "axioms". Say homosexuality, a "liberal-inclined" (or gay) recommer might say it should be accepted, because nobody is harmed, whereas another recommer would point out that their religion says homosexuality is immoral so they can't accept it, and might further assert that the government should regulate "homosexual activities" (e.g. by criminalizing consensual fellatio and penile-anal sex). So in the end the issue boils down to whether you believe, as a first principle that an individual's right extend to right before where it infringes upon the rights of others, or that such rights are inferior to your religion that prescribes a different set of rules.

I consider myself to be irreligious and I believe in secular laws. So when someone appeals to their religion in a debate, it usually means the end of discussion to me. It would be similar to teaching complex numbers with your students insisting that there can only be real numbers.(*1) Of course, I could be the teacher or students. Not being condescending here.

-----------------------------
Note *1: A complex number has an imaginary component. E.g. Real numbers would be -- 1, 2, -1, -2, 0, pi, e, square root of 2 etc....

Complex numbers are 2 + 8i, 3 + ei , a + bi, in which a and b are real numbers, i = square root of (-1)/

Last edited by Cactus; 09-09-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member
 
Sillyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 915
  #15 Old 10-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Calling him/her or their opinion idiotic wouldn't be helpful to convince that said person otherwise.

[after deliberating for 20 seconds: But that is the case only if we believe in pure reason, which I don't. If it is in your interest to make the person agree with you, then perhaps you might want to shame him/her into agreeing with you, either by appealing to whatever authority or exerting pressure apart from (or instead of!) arguing "rationally". The power of rational reasoning in persuasion is limited. The reasoning process alone won't tell us whether we should repeal the Article 377b of the Penal Code, whether abortion should be allowed etc, unless we share some common fundamental values/beliefs which may act as "axioms" in our discussion/debate/argument from which other opinion can be developed.]

Sometimes, when we recommers debate on certain social/political issues, we are actually disagreeing on those fundamental values that serve as "axioms". Say homosexuality, a "liberal-inclined" (or gay) recommer might say it should be accepted, because nobody is harmed, whereas another recommer would point out that their religion says homosexuality is immoral so they can't accept it, and might further assert that the government should regulate "homosexual activities" (e.g. by criminalizing consensual fellatio and penile-anal sex). So in the end the issue boils down to whether you believe, as a first principle that an individual's right extend to right before where it infringes upon the rights of others, or that such rights are inferior to your religion that prescribes a different set of rules.

I consider myself to be irreligious and I believe in secular laws. So when someone appeals to their religion in a debate, it usually means the end of discussion to me. It would be similar to teaching complex numbers with your students insisting that there can only be real numbers.(*1) Of course, I could be the teacher or students. Not being condescending here.

-----------------------------
Note *1: A complex number has an imaginary component. E.g. Real numbers would be -- 1, 2, -1, -2, 0, pi, e, square root of 2 etc....

Complex numbers are 2 + 8i, 3 + ei , a + bi, in which a and b are real numbers, i = square root of (-1)/
COMPLEX NUMBERS DO NOT EXIST! One of my lecturers wholehearted believes that...apologies lol! Couldn't resist the cheeky comment!
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sillyboy For This Useful Post:
CelineD Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
CelineD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 160
  #16 Old 13-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjiahui View Post
i don't think you can polarize the ReCom community to 100% pro-liberal stances and 100& conservative stances. it is a huge sweeping statement to say that all liberals are anti-government, anti-establishment, anti-tradition.

so could you be a bit more specific?
Haha, to clarify myself I wan't trying to make a general statement. I did make a rather general observation though, because (other than the usual scholarship and tertiary education stuff) you see more liberal stands on many issues, but I am also aware that this may not reflect every young person around (like in my school for instance many people are conservative, sticking to their own race/religion and significantly pro-government) so I'm trying to see how true is the seemingly liberal slant of Recom by asking you guys' opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
Having a private racist sub forum defeats the whole point of free speech. What are we gonna do? Create a place where racists could spew bigotry and where others aren't allowed to criticize?
Haha, I have nothing against forums where people of the same faith gather to discuss faith issues (note: to strengthen the fellowship among believers,not to blast other faiths, btw!) but well, classing based on race is a step back in achieving real unity.

Speaking of race, it's funny to see how among many people, unity is still "Malay, Chinese and Indian". First of all, there are many other races besides these 3 and secondly (and most importantly) if people are really united shouldn't they don't give a hoot about race at all when talking about other people, e.g "that boy" instead of "that Indian boy"?
__________________
...Cherish youth while it lasts, and live your passion :) [quotes of a teenage dreamer]

Here's my blog/writing wonderland: Deb's Ink Trail

nice to meet you :D
Twitter
CelineD is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator
 
youngyew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,741
  #17 Old 17-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelineD View Post
Haha, I have nothing against forums where people of the same faith gather to discuss faith issues (note: to strengthen the fellowship among believers,not to blast other faiths, btw!) but well, classing based on race is a step back in achieving real unity.
A sub-forum in ReCom for Christians, Muslims, Buddhists etc are fine if it's just set up to classify the nature of the discussion. However, some people have this idea that those sub-forums should be limited to only its own believers in order to isolate itself from "assaults" from people of other faiths, and it is such an idea that I oppose, as this defeats the purpose of free speech. Same for "Malay" sub-forum, "Chinese" sub-forum etc, if it's a sub-forum for racist Chinese to lambast Malays together, and then expect immunity from criticism, then no, that's not going to happen.
__________________
[][][][flickr]

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
day_dreamer Male
Slightly Senior Member
 
day_dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 780
  #18 Old 17-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
A sub-forum in ReCom for Christians, Muslims, Buddhists etc are fine if it's just set up to classify the nature of the discussion. However, some people have this idea that those sub-forums should be limited to only its own believers in order to isolate itself from "assaults" from people of other faiths, and it is such an idea that I oppose, as this defeats the purpose of free speech. Same for "Malay" sub-forum, "Chinese" sub-forum etc, if it's a sub-forum for racist Chinese to lambast Malays together, and then expect immunity from criticism, then no, that's not going to happen.
I think it is possible to create one such subforums about religion.. it actually help us understand our religion more. AS long as there are active moderators around to keep an eye on things everything should be fine.
__________________
Not for those easily offended. SoftPorn inside too : http://greenlatte.blogspot.com/
Current number of post rank : 36
day_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #19 Old 17-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_dreamer View Post
I think it is possible to create one such subforums about religion.. it actually help us understand our religion more. AS long as there are active moderators around to keep an eye on things everything should be fine.
I think you can just create a thread for that. It would be easier.
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominic For This Useful Post:
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator
 
youngyew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,741
  #20 Old 17-09-2011 Default Re: Liberal Recom?

We create a sub-forum when there are a lot of threads belonging to the same category, and the obvious examples are JPA, Malaysian politics, undergraduate studies, etc etc.

There are threads out there about various religions (just search for "buddhism", "islam" etc) but they aren't really that numerous so it doesn't really justify a sub-forum at this point. Otherwise we will be creating three hundred sub-forums for all sorts of topics under the sun.
__________________
[][][][flickr]

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
belief, liberal, recom, trends

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Info: Why a Small Liberal Arts College shuwenteo Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 0 11-04-2011 05:30 PM
Liberal Arts Colleges in US t Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 0 27-07-2009 08:53 PM
Education: Liberal or Specialised Young Debates 6 21-06-2009 12:41 AM
liberal arts colleges US Junny0711 Education 10 21-08-2008 01:43 AM
Liberal Arts Colleges in America jojo Education 26 17-03-2007 03:18 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.13576 seconds with 15 queries