ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Window to the World

Window to the World Discussions of global issues and latest news.

Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
 
yanno_yamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 888
  #11 Old 21-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I think they associate malexmale with anal sex. And obviously not everybody like it.
So everybody's fine with femalexfemale sex? (Sorry, I don't know the term for that)
__________________
Do not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.
-Buddha; in Kalama Sutta-

May you be well and happy!!! :)
yanno_yamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #12 Old 21-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanno_yamster View Post
So everybody's fine with femalexfemale sex? (Sorry, I don't know the term for that)
I googled and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribadism

But then again, not all lesbians practice it, just like not all gay men practice anal sex.

Lots of testosterone-driven guys are fine with it. Perhaps not the religious ones, but definitely the horny ones with odd fetishes.

My point was actually that people are comfortable with public displays of attention between women, but not with men. What goes on in the bedroom is nobody's business, and should never be.
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #13 Old 22-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues



Quote:
The real, deadly toll of bullying gay kids

(CBS News) In Washington Wednesday, the Department of Education hosted its second annual summit to combat bullying.

It's a nationwide problem, that CBS News correspondent Elaine Quijano reports was painfully highlighted this week by the death of a high school freshman from Buffalo.

Tracy Rodemeyer, mother of 14-year-old Jamey Rodemeyer, struggles with the aftermath.

"It hurts me so, to think my son felt like he was not worthy of anything," Tracy says.

Jamey had been bullied relentlessly since 5th grade. His parents, Tim and Tracy, found his body on Sunday.

48 Hours special: Bullying: Words can kill
"It really just started with all the boys, cause all the girls just loved him and they always defended him, but all the boys would say, "Geez you're such a girl. Why are you hanging out with all those girls? What are you, a girl? Oh, you must be gay," Tracy remembers.

"The bullies now are still walking around. They get to wake up tomorrow and go to school and see all their friends, but my son will not be given a second chance no matter how much I have prayed. I would have given my own life to turn back the minute we seen him," Tracy says.

Jamey was harassed by online insults. He saw counselors to try to deal with the pain. He even took part in the "It Gets Better Project," in which people have posted a video as part of an online support group for gay teens.

"We were born this way," Jamey said in his video. "Now all you have to do is put your head up --- put your head up and you'll go far. Because that's all you have to do, just love yourself and you're set."

Still, just weeks ago he posted this plea for help: "I always say how bullied I am, but no one listened. What do I have to do so people will listen to me?"

The Rodemeyers refuse to grieve in silence.

"They have to somehow get the power away from the bully, and I don't know how you do that, and that's the biggest question in my mind. Because, if the bully doesn't have power, he's nobody," Tim Rodemeyer says. "For a young kid of 14 1/2, he had a big message, a huge message that shouldn't even have to be a message. It should just be common decency to not make people feel worthless and useless on this planet, that they don't deserve to be with other people," Tracy Rodemeyer says.

Tracy Rodemeyer will bury her son in a t-shirt with a message of acceptance and defiance. It reads simply: "Born this way."
Taken from: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20109797.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1H6z7_oFrY&
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #14 Old 23-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Here's something that's been circulating on FB and I found it sweet. Take a read, and show it to anyone whom you think might be gay, or have a gay child. It helps many parents out there to understand and accept their child for who he or she is.

Quote:
An Open Letter to those who are coming out to their family, from a PFLAG Mom:

A lot of times it takes a little while for parents to understand what it means when their child comes out to them; they feel guilt and wonder if it is because of something they did wrong as a parent. They may even need to mourn for the child they thought they knew. What I would say to your Mom and/or Dad is give it time, and educate yourself (read books and/or literature) to get past the fear of the unknown. For the first couple of months, I used to wonder if it was possible for my son to go to bed gay, and wake up deciding he was really straight . . . .hah - stupid me.

Usually when an individual comes out to their parents and/or relatives, it is something they have thought about for a long time and have themselves accepted it and you are anxious for your relatives to accept you and know who you are. Be patient - keep the lines of communication open. What a parent needs to realize is that this is still their child, and they will just need to change their perception of who they thought you were. Google PFLAG (Parents, Friends of Lesbians and Gays) in your area and go to a meeting by yourself, and you will find immediate acceptance and love - maybe your Mom and/or Dad would even go with you. You can talk as little or as much as you want at these meetings, or maybe just listen.

I immersed myself in my son's life, got involved and volunteered at LGBT yourth group and now know that my life has been made so much richer by having a gay son and experiencing all that comes along with that with all the people he has brought into my life.

Please be assured that God made you, he loves you and knows every hair on your head.
*PFLAG - Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
  #15 Old 23-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanno_yamster View Post
So everybody's fine with femalexfemale sex? (Sorry, I don't know the term for that)
Sorry for making a err...unnecessarily andro-centric comment.

Anyway, I had a heterosexual (I hate the word straight! To me it implies something's wrong if you are "un-straight" (i.e. bent).) male friend who said he was fine with lesbian couple but felt "geli" when they kiss.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator
 
youngyew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,741
  #16 Old 23-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

I briefly touched on this in another thread, but since we are on this topic again: I think it's the sheer fact that people are not used to it. Think about the first time you ever come across a picture or video of adult sexual organs or sexual activity - don't tell me you weren't grossed out the first time. But most people grow up, engage in it themselves, and seem not to be grossed out anymore.
__________________
[][][][flickr]

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 23-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #17 Old 23-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Sorry for making a err...unnecessarily andro-centric comment.

Anyway, I had a heterosexual (I hate the word straight! To me it implies something's wrong if you are "un-straight" (i.e. bent).) male friend who said he was fine with lesbian couple but felt "geli" when they kiss.
I guess that's normal. I was pretty uncomfortable around transsexuals or cross-dressers when I was younger. Where I lived, there was this park where all the transsexual prostitutes would gather at night and look for customers. I went there with a friend once in a car, and along the roadside we see all these creepy-looking people and they were waving at us. Not a very good impression to make on a teenager so I guess that kinda freaked me out a little. But then I came to college and got to know more transsexuals (no, these are not prostitutes, they're just normal people like you and me) and I gradually grew more comfortable being around them. It doesn't feel any different from being around anyone else actually. You just have to get used to something that you've been told is wrong or bad all your life, and think for yourself whether it really is or not.
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #18 Old 24-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

World AIDS Day (observed on December 1st each year), is one of the most recognised international health days dedicated to raise awareness in communities on the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection.

Red Ribbon is commonly associated with the fight against HIV/AIDS in which it is also the symbol of solidarity for HIV positive individuals and people who are living with AIDS.

PT Foundation will be organising its annual Red Carnival celebration in conjunction with World AIDS Day 2011 at Sg Wang Plaza from 26-27th November.

Kindly contact PT Foundation at: [email address] OR Gareth at: [email address] for those who are interested to help us as volunteers for this meaningful event.

****

And a video that might be of interest to all of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saO_RFWWVVA
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.

Last edited by Dominic; 24-09-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
lotsatuna
Super Junior Member
 
lotsatuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
  #19 Old 26-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
I briefly touched on this in another thread, but since we are on this topic again: I think it's the sheer fact that people are not used to it. Think about the first time you ever come across a picture or video of adult sexual organs or sexual activity - don't tell me you weren't grossed out the first time. But most people grow up, engage in it themselves, and seem not to be grossed out anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
It doesn't feel any different from being around anyone else actually. You just have to get used to something that you've been told is wrong or bad all your life, and think for yourself whether it really is or not.
That's exactly it, but the thing is, quite a number of people don't even bother pondering the reason they're freaking out. They don't think about it, because they are told that apparently all this is WRONG and they never ask themselves and others WHY. They just gobble up what an authority or the majority (herd mentality, yeah) says. They just shut their ears, go "NANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG" and it's extremely frustrating to try to reason with these kinds of people especially when all they can come up with is "i find it disgusting so it's wrong" or "well, *insert name here* said it's wrong so it's wrong".

Honestly, I simply cannot comprehend all the gratuitous hostility towards gender and sexual minorities. This remains the situation in reality but it continues to boggle my mind almost daily. One might say that if I were to put myself in their shoes and see it from their point of view I would understand, but no. No, I simply can't. I cannot and probably never will understand why anyone, ANYONE would want to actively antagonise someone else on the basis of their freaking gender or sexuality (or for any reason at all, in fact. violence is NOT the way to go), which their whole world doesn't happen to revolve around. It isn't even the most important thing if one considers them a proper HUMAN. They have something called a "personality" and people tend to forget that.

All they need to do is to take some time off, find a comfortable chair to settle in and a nice cup of tea, and ask themselves, "Why in the world am I condemning some random person(s) I don't even know personally, who has done nothing to hurt me?" Unlikely to happen though, because some people are too busy being repulsed by the idea to try looking past their silly dogma.

/rant

Interesting thread though, looking forward to seeing more updates.
lotsatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotsatuna For This Useful Post:
Dominic
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #20 Old 28-09-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
An Open Letter To Heterosexual Americans

On Sunday, Sept. 18, 2011, Jamey Rodemeyer took his own life at the age of 14. Earlier this year he had participated in the "It Gets Better" Project, but just a week before the suicide, he wrote, "I always say how bullied I am, but no one listens. ... What do I have to do so people will listen to me?" It didn't get better for Jamey, and he's not alone. While the focus of many anti-bullying campaigns has been to empower LGBTQ youth and create community around them, I think it's time for all Americans to make it better.

In my early teens, much before I became comfortable with my gender and sexual identity, I found myself being bullied. Because I was young, confused and vulnerable, I found it very difficult to defend myself, so I know the important role courageous peers and responsible adults play when facing down bullies. When we are reminded of the vicious behavior of some children toward those considered different, we "different" adults see it as our responsibility to respond with education, therapy, hotlines and activism. But what is needed to create real change is real action on the part of our heterosexual citizenry. After all, these are your children who are driving other kids to suicide. Where are they learning that it's "OK to hate"? In part, young people are learning that it's "OK to hate" by pushing boundaries and getting away with it. Isn't that what young people do, test boundaries? Why are they forbidden to chew gum in class yet allowed to torture their LGBTQ classmates? We've come to an understanding that smoking should not be allowed and have given teachers the moral authority to stop it; we've made it illegal to sell cigarettes to minors because we recognize that it's harmful to their health. But the number of deaths from LGBTQ bullying is mounting. When will the deaths of these children be recognized as an imperative to make change now?

Parents and educators are allowed, sometimes even forced, to be passive in the face of shameful and outrageous behavior on the part of their charges because they have had their own hands tied by legislators and a "moral" minority who claim to represent "our" values. But remember, the civil rights movement would not have been nearly as effective if white people hadn't joined with African Americans to create the necessary changes to end institutionalized racism. It should not only be the responsibility of the LGBTQ community to protect certain youth. It is time for you to stand up for and be accountable to all America's children -- not only LGBTQ children but all the children who are forced to live in a world of unnecessary cruelty, and also, maybe even more importantly, the bullies who are being allowed to destroy their own chances at happiness by passive adult bystanders. It is time for all Americans to come together and end homophobic and transphobic language, and to take action to protect the childhoods of all of our children, not just some.


Yours truly,

Justin Vivian Bond

Taken from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justin..._b_981552.html

This must be read by heterosexuals all over the world, not just in America. Bullying will never be OK, and it must end now. It's high time the silent heterosexual allies out there start speaking up and fighting the discrimination against the LGBT community. Even if your religion disagrees, remember that no religion or God would ever condone bullying.

Quote:
S'pore's first fully ordained gay pastor

Miak Siew is a passionate and outspoken man. Just ordained at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, California, Miak is now a pastor at Free Community Church in Singapore. He preaches on Sundays and conducts programmes to reach out to the community. He is an advocate of social justice and feels strongly about issues concerning poverty and equality. He is big on compassion. He is also an LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) activitist and is open about his own sexuality.

Over multiple cups of coffees at a restaurant on a quiet weekday he talked to me at length about the many things that stir him.

?I think the gay issue is such a big thing in religion because people are wrestling with orthodoxy,? he explains. ?The gay issue is a litmus test of who is orthodox and who isn?t. You see, the LGBT community was hidden in the past and so was an easy target for Christians to unite against. It became the bogey man. And it has been a very powerful way to garner support, raise money and unify groups of people who needed to prove that they were Christians. Part of my education and going away was to learn more about this and come back and say, well, this is a form of Christianity but it?s not Christianity.?
?A lot of this stems from insecurity about sexuality,? Miak continues. ?The two most policed things in religion ? in any religion ? are food and sex. Controlling sex controls a lot of things. It controls the bonding between two human beings?and in some ways the intimate bond between divine and human. The other thing it controls is politics and lineage. By controlling sex, the church could control marriage. In the past marriage was a civil contract, it was not a spiritual union. Jesus attended the wedding at Canna not because he presided over it but because he was a guest. Later on marriage became more and more political, and the church realised if they controlled marriage, they could control who got married to whom and thus control the political alliances in Europe. That?s how the church got involved. So when people say that marriage has always been a divinely ordained thing, I go ?huh? have you read history? We are only hearing what we want to hear. Why? Because we are cherry picking what we want to live by.?

Miak certainly lives by what he preaches. Besides being a pastor, he has been a member of People Like Us since his university days, and has given over a lot of his life to reaching out to the LGBT community. ?As I was exposed to Christianity, without being locked into certain ideas about what Christianity is, I reached a certain point in my life where I started a support group for gay men wrestling with their sexuality and their faith,? he says. ?We studied passages from the Bible that condemn homosexuality or supposedly did. I did it for three years and a lot came out of that. A lot of people came and benefited and were reconciled to a degree. And I thought to myself, if doing this two hours a week can achieve this much, how much more will I accomplish if I dedicate my life to this??

?Sexuality is part of being human; there?s nothing wrong with it. Sex can be used for good or bad, but is not bad or dirty in itself,? he says emphatically, talking without a break. ?We attach so much shame and stigma to sex that we are unable to talk about it in a healthy way. Homosexuality to me is something that, whether you are born this way or not, you cannot change. It?s who you are, it?s who I am. I did not decide to be this way one day out of the blue. I have been this way for as long as I can remember. Is it something bad or something to be fought against? I don?t think so.?

I then ask Miak what he thinks about the belief that while the homosexual orientation is not wrong, the act is ?sinful.? Without mincing his words, he replies, ?I feel that is very unhealthy. You are telling someone that they cannot express their full authentic self. Can you cut yourself into ten pieces and throw away one part? You can?t, every part is integral to ourselves. Denying another human being of an integral part of who they are is not loving. My sexuality is not just what I do in bed, it has shaped my life so much; it has sensitised me to other people?s suffering. Because I have suffered in my life as a result of my sexuality, I understand what it feels like to be in the minority, to be oppressed. I am more astute, more sensitive to people?s suffering and feel the need to do something about it. If you remove my sexuality from the equation, you remove that part of me as well.?

To be a pastor and have such clarity about a controversial moral issue that Christianity is wrestling with, at best, is remarkable. And to stand up for this in a community that, for the most part, isn?t comfortable with it, is brave.

We are barely through our first coffee.

Part 2 of our interview with pastor Miak Siew will look at what it means to be gay in society.

To find out more about pastor Miak Siew and Free Community Church visit http://www.freecomchurch.org
Taken from: http://www.publichouse.sg/categories...-publichousesg

I'm impressed with Singapore. Now how about Malaysia doing the same thing?
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.

Last edited by Dominic; 28-09-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why A Heterosexual, Married, North Carolinian Father Of Three Cares About LGBT Equali Dominic Window to the World 3 18-09-2011 12:06 PM
Tiltedworld.org-First M'sian blog on LGBT(lesbian,gay,bisexual,transsexual rights) gabrielle Youth and Charity 2 24-06-2009 10:20 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.16841 seconds with 16 queries