ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Window to the World

Window to the World Discussions of global issues and latest news.

Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#191 Old 14-09-2012 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

It simply shows just how uneducated are the people who are supposed to be making the policies of our education system. It's one thing to think that homosexuality is against the teaching of religion (which is fine as long as you don't get bigoted about it), it's quite another to think that having people "identify" gays and lesbians based on childish stereotypes and single them out for "corrective measurements" should be implemented in the public education setting - it shows just how little understanding they have on the issue, and that they most likely have not come across a single gay or lesbian in their life.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to youngyew For This Useful Post:
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#192 Old 14-09-2012 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

If, by their descriptions, they can tell apart homosexuals from heterosexuals just like that, then I'm afraid a lot of our friends are suddenly gays and lesbians.

And where I am now where V-necks are commonplace and people are so into keeping their bodies fit (and built), I can also easily just "identify" gays and lesbians using the MOE's guidelines. And if I do so openly, I don't just get to sharpen my "identifying skills", I would potentially get a black eye, too.

This is one of the things that makes me roll my eyes, do the facepalm and wonder if there's any hope left.
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#193 Old 15-09-2012 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

The whole thing is pure nonsense. But at the same time, it's dangerous nonsense. Imagine what would happen if parents start watching their kids for these symptoms, and then bundling them off to corrective boot camps or psychiatric treatments. Or even worse, kicking them out of the house entirely. I pity all the kids who're going to receive flak from their parents simply because they exhibit certain 'symptoms'.

The good thing is, the symptoms (the visible ones at least), would render a large proportion of the gay community invisible, which at the moment I would consider a good thing, what with all the backlash coming from the government. Like myself, most gay men would only fit one of the symptoms presented, which is 'to be attracted to another man', because we aren't muscular, and we don't wear V-necks and carry large handbags. Those qualities seem to describe gym bunnies and metrosexual men more than they could ever describe a homosexual.

I used to be surprised by the ridiculous things the government does, but no longer. They're like a satire of what they claim to be (an open and democratic country), and it's fascinating to watch them make a complete fool of themselves.

Oh, and there's a Facebook event called The National Wear V-Neck day, organised by an old friend of mine. Hope you guys can join in and lend support from wherever you are.

https://www.facebook.com/events/470096729677561/
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#194 Old 15-09-2012 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Then there's a possibility that they don't understand the difference between "metrosexual" and "heterosexual"".
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#195 Old 16-09-2012 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

The Young Turks provide hilarious (read: sensible) commentary on the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxtrO9iOeM8
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.

Last edited by Dominic; 16-09-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote