ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Window to the World

Window to the World Discussions of global issues and latest news.

Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Cactus Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
  #31 Old 09-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

I wonder how old your friend is. Could he be in the closet?
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #32 Old 09-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2learn View Post
Just out of curiosity, is gay normal? If it is, why do many religions like Christianity stated that it is not right as written in the Bible. Why does it take the human race so many centuries struggling to identify that it is normal? On top of that, one of my friend also said that the feeling of loving the same sex sexually is just temporary. He went on questioning that does the marriage guarantee both a happy life later on? Could anyone answer that? Thx.
In the same set of laws which called homosexuality immoral, there were also rules forbidding the touching of the skin of pigs, wearing clothes made of different fabrics, consuming shellfish and planting two different crops in the same plot of land. Upon the death of Jesus, these ancient laws were rendered null. No one calls shellfish abominations anymore nowadays, but surprisingly, they still refer to homosexuality as so.

The other parts of the Bible which 'allegedly' condemn homosexuality could be interpreted to mean differently, and seeing as only God knows his true intentions, we humans should not be proud enough to take our interpretations as the word of God.

I know same-sex couples who've lived together for up to 26 years. If they're doing that just because of the sex, then it must be pretty mind-blowing sex, don't you agree? Happiness is relative. If you're a same-sex couple in certain countries, you might not be happy in the sense that everyone is calling for your execution, but you might be happy because you are with the one you love. For those countries which have long obliterated these draconian laws, I'm pretty sure the LGBT community in them would be happier as they are treated equally in society and under the eyes of the law.

The problem with Malaysians is that they don't know any same-sex couples, and I don't blame us, because there are rarely any around. At least, not visibly. I've met several in KL, though I would not go about divulging their identities should anyone wish them harm. Overseas, you'll find plenty more, with some of these couples even raising children of their own. I wish Malaysia would be like this one day, but somehow I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2learn View Post
I define normal as something that was created first when the human race started to inhabit in this planet, not something that suddenly become a trend of us. For example, Down's syndrome is normal though it is rare as it is something that can be inherited since the dawn of civillisation. In contrast, diabetes mellitus is abnormal due to our ignorance on what we eat everyday. Do you noticed more and more people starting to have this disease in this modern era? Are you happy when you are declared to have diabetes? It has become a "trend", soemthing that was created by human itself, something that is getting more and more attention nowadays. So I am wondering if homosexuality existed when the first human was born on Earth, or just our mindless "creation"?
If you look back in history, you'll notice many depictions of homosexuality throughout the ages. Obviously they'll never teach these things, but homosexuals have existed for a long time. Nowadays, you might notice what you call a 'trend' because more and more gay people are gaining the courage to come out of the closet and stop living a lie. This is due to society's increasing acceptance. And before you ask, sexual orientation cannot be changed, and has been found to be influenced by both nature (genetics) and nurture. The obvious reason would be that no one would wake up one day and say, "Now wouldn't it be awesome to be discriminated against for the rest of my life? Hell, sure sounds fun!"

***

On a completely unrelated note, I went on my first date today. It was a very interesting experience, and we parted as friends. Great guy, but we had differing views on relationships, as well as a large age gap.
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.

Last edited by Dominic; 09-10-2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominic For This Useful Post:
lotsatuna
Super Junior Member
 
lotsatuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
  #33 Old 10-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2learn View Post
Just out of curiosity, is gay normal? If it is, why do many religions like Christianity stated that it is not right as written in the Bible. Why does it take the human race so many centuries struggling to identify that it is normal? On top of that, one of my friend also said that the feeling of loving the same sex sexually is just temporary. He went on questioning that does the marriage guarantee both a happy life later on? Could anyone answer that? Thx.
Temporary? Ha!

Richard and John
(These people have been together for 61 years)

In any case, this "temporary" feeling can be easily attributed to platonic love. Or it could simply be romantic love that does not include sex into the equation. I realise that a lot of people tend to conflate sexual feelings and romantic feelings as one entity. Sexual attraction and romantic attraction are two very different things. It is possible to feel attracted to someone romantically but not sexually and vice versa.

The definition of normal can be quite subjective. If there are already hundreds of animal species showing homosexual/bisexual tendencies, I wouldn't say it's abnormal. Also, "normal" or "natural" is not synonymous with "right" or "good". Keep that in mind.

Marriage does not guarantee any two people (or more, if you're considering polygamy) a happy life, regardless of gender. The success of a relationship is not dependent on the presence of a legal contract binding a couple. People are fighting for same-sex marriage to be legalised not because it will make all relationship problems disappear, it is so that homosexual couples will have access to the same benefits that heterosexual couples get. For example, medical benefits (the rights to visit your spouse in an ICU during restricted visiting hours, making medical decisions for them when they are unable to do so themselves), tax benefits, housing benefits etc.

Not all heterosexual couples marry because they genuinely love each other either. So, what actually makes marriage between a man and woman so sacred? Nothing, except maybe love. Love, which can also exist between any two human being regardless of gender or sexuality. When you think about it, a marriage ceremony is at its core symbolic, to indicate that two people are ready to be bound to each other for life (although the advent of divorce is sort of undermining that special meaning behind it...).

I shall end with a penguin article for all of you, because penguins are cute.

Last edited by lotsatuna; 10-10-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: malformed video url
lotsatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lotsatuna For This Useful Post:
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
 
yanno_yamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 888
  #34 Old 10-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsatuna View Post
I have long suspected that I am this.
__________________
Do not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.
-Buddha; in Kalama Sutta-

May you be well and happy!!! :)
yanno_yamster is offline   Reply With Quote
lotsatuna
Super Junior Member
 
lotsatuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
  #35 Old 10-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanno_yamster View Post
I have long suspected that I am this.
Welcome to the club (:
__________________

http://recom.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=39111&dateline=131825  8311


lotsatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
  #36 Old 10-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanno_yamster View Post
I have long suspected that I am this.
Kinda interesting to be asexual. Wonder what it's like. Sometimes all the sexual thoughts get rather distracting.
__________________
"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.

Last edited by Dominic; 10-10-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
  #37 Old 11-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Kinda interesting to be asexual. Wonder what it's like. Sometimes all the sexual thoughts get rather distracting.
kinda agree.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
joan2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 255
  #38 Old 11-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Kinda interesting to be asexual. Wonder what it's like. Sometimes all the sexual thoughts get rather distracting.
Ditto for me too.
__________________
Check out my blog if you're interested! http://liberal-malaysian-view.blogspot.com
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
lotsatuna
Super Junior Member
 
lotsatuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
  #39 Old 11-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Kinda interesting to be asexual. Wonder what it's like. Sometimes all the sexual thoughts get rather distracting.
Well, experiences differ from person to person but personally I do have such thoughts too, because I have a rather normal libido. I just don't feel sexual attraction to other people. These are two quite separate compartments for me...
__________________

http://recom.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=39111&dateline=131825  8311


lotsatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
joan2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 255
  #40 Old 11-10-2011 Default Re: Dominic's Dominion of LGBT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsatuna View Post
Well, experiences differ from person to person but personally I do have such thoughts too, because I have a rather normal libido. I just don't feel sexual attraction to other people. These are two quite separate compartments for me...
You're gonna have to explain that further for me tomorrow, buddy - you lost me at "normal libido" and "don't feel sexual attraction to others".
__________________
Check out my blog if you're interested! http://liberal-malaysian-view.blogspot.com
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why A Heterosexual, Married, North Carolinian Father Of Three Cares About LGBT Equali Dominic Window to the World 3 19-09-2011 12:06 AM
Tiltedworld.org-First M'sian blog on LGBT(lesbian,gay,bisexual,transsexual rights) gabrielle Youth and Charity 2 24-06-2009 10:20 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.12047 seconds with 15 queries