ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Bersih 3.0 Rally

shuwenteo
Cremated

#1 Old 04-04-2012 Thumbs up Bersih 3.0 Rally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2LvMvhmeq8

Last edited by shuwenteo; 31-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
shuwenteo is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#2 Old 05-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Would you attend, now that you have posted about it here?

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#3 Old 05-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

I'll be in Paris over that weekend. So I'll definitely show up if there's an event there.

Also, I think Bersih should adopt a symbol..........like a broom. Make it a gotong royong exercise, gahmen can't say illegal if the rakyat want to sapu tempat awam. Semua orang angkat penyapu and sapu dataran merdeka.

Last edited by bush; 05-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bush For This Useful Post:
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#4 Old 06-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Let's spice things up a bit. For those of you who will attend, what's at stake for you?

For me, I've been observing the country's regression in terms of people development. Over the last electoral term, there is no significant improvement in terms of people's rights. I have noticed more and more exposure, fueled by the more widespread availability of non-government controlled media with regards to electoral frauds. As a person living in this country, I believe this totally must be stopped. This is one way to pressure the all branches of the government to act on it.

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#5 Old 06-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

For me (I hope to actually attend this time, since I'm around) what's at stake is that elections are supposedly extremely close, and the system is still as rigged as ever. The Opp won close to 50% of the votes last time, but the proportion of representation in Parliament was so skewed...this is normal with these types of voting systems, of course (it's as bad in Singapore, maybe worse) but there's still no excuse.

Although being interested in politics I'm eager to watch the election, I think it's pretty important that we give ourselves the best chance of shaking up the government a bit - whether it be BN or PR. If not, imagine, we'll have to wait five years for another fair shake at voting. My first inclination was that this Bersih rally was a bit soon after the last one (which in retrospect was almost a year ago already) but I think given how close elections could be, I understand the need for it.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#6 Old 09-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

What does Lynas has to do with cleaner fairer election? :O

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vseehua For This Useful Post:
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#7 Old 09-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseehua View Post
What does Lynas has to do with cleaner fairer election? :O
I agree. The Lynas cause has been over-politicized by the opposition; if Bersih intends to maintain its non-partisan image, it will do well to distance itself from Lynas.
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#8 Old 09-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwenteo View Post
Why we need BERSIH...
Showing a picture of 7 Malay girls giving the finger to a poorly-photoshopped Lynas sign doesn't exactly answer the question or add to the discussion.

Last edited by henry_yew; 10-04-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Young is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#9 Old 09-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Agreed. The way I see it, Himpunan Hijau can go ahead and have their rally - no problem, aside from all the issues we've already brought up. I do believe there's something to protest about.

But the fact that they quickly decided to hold it in conjunction with Bersih 3.0 - in my opinion they're clearly trying to piggyback the Bersih rally and claim a bigger turnout, because they know more people will turn up for Bersih. If they had even something remotely in common...but they don't.

And the Photoshopped picture...that's lame.
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#10 Old 10-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwenteo View Post
So you're still hoping the government can change? You must be living in a fantasy world.
So what's your point? Are you saying that he's implying Himpunan Hijau should distance itself from Bersih because he thinks the government could be changed? Because I didn't see the link in your reasoning at all.

And to answer that question, the government definitely *can* change - IF the electoral roll is cleaned up. Why do you think it's also very urgent that this be done? Bersih is doing this because it is politically expedient, yes - they NEED to pressure the government now, because if not now, it *definitely* means another 4-5 years of a government that might not have a mandate.

The opposition won very close to 50% of the popular vote last election. If the system is cleaned up, we can at least have a more balanced representation. Changing the government is not some optimist's fantasy, it's a very reachable reality - even if not by this election.