ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Bersih 3.0 Rally

Reply
 
Thread Tools
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer
 
ayjiahui's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 478
  #21 Old 12-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

shu wen do you ever defend your points?! or do you just ignore everyone?
__________________
Blog|Formspring: got a question?

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
~Henry Kissinger

(looking for people to parler franšais! PM me!)
ayjiahui is offline   Reply With Quote
nicholas93 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
nicholas93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 136
  #22 Old 12-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

please don't use this forum as your personal facebook page!
__________________
Oh well, whatever, nevermind.
nicholas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor
 
Boyz_Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,294
  #23 Old 18-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjiahui View Post
shu wen do you ever defend your points?! or do you just ignore everyone?
ya, i agree with you. I noticed many of her posts are simply newspaper cuttings.
__________________
Feel free to join The Spammers Association while you are still in ReCom. You'll get to spam a lot and also meet a lot of people here. :)
Boyz_Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
quest_5692 Male
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 148
  #24 Old 18-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

either a high level troll or just a employer of the oppositions trying to penetrate forums.
quest_5692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor
 
Boyz_Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,294
  #25 Old 19-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest_5692 View Post
either a high level troll or just a employer of the oppositions trying to penetrate forums.
I dun think tat she works for d opposition. She is just fed up with hw our country is being handled. V cn't deny that the current goverment has corruption within and certain businessmans/ladies get easily government contracts due to political influence, our election system is neither clean nor fair, etc.

I seriously believed tat our country has 2 really change a lot regardless which parties win d election in order 2 b a 1st world country.

However, her manner of posting thread should be changed as d main reason of forum is 2 hv an intelluctal discussion. It's nt a news portal or a facebook page.
__________________
Feel free to join The Spammers Association while you are still in ReCom. You'll get to spam a lot and also meet a lot of people here. :)
Boyz_Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
  #26 Old 19-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz_Zoo View Post
I dun think tat she works for d opposition. She is just fed up with hw our country is being handled. V cn't deny that the current goverment has corruption within and certain businessmans/ladies get easily government contracts due to political influence, our election system is neither clean nor fair, etc.

I seriously believed tat our country has 2 really change a lot regardless which parties win d election in order 2 b a 1st world country.

However, her manner of posting thread should be changed as d main reason of forum is 2 hv an intelluctal discussion. It's nt a news portal or a facebook page.
I admire all of you for your willingness and eagerness to engage in discussion with Shuwenteo. Since she is not replying, why not we proceed with whatever discussion we wish to have instead of criticizing her repeatedly?
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator
 
henry_yew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
  #27 Old 19-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwenteo View Post
Oh, really? What are you, then? As I see it, you're just somebody who is on their high horse and ignores the plight or predicament of someone else.

I am DAP(ian). Coming to terms with this aspect of my identity has helped me to see more clearly -- the ways in which I have been denied the right to vote, legally discriminated against in employment and access to education -- forms of discrimination that we supposedly left behind. I see now that "they" are me, and I am them.
Shuwenteo, I am bemused at how much you lack in terms of objectivity, and how much fallacy you put into your statements.

I am not trying to pull you down or degrade you in any manner for being a supporter of the opposition; I don't profess to support the ruling coalition or the opposition. I don't profess to be part of the elite who you would claim to be sitting on a high horse.

However, I am quite appalled at your claims that "I have been denied the right to vote, legally discriminated against in employment and access to education". First of all, if you're of legal voting age, you can register as a voter at the post office and exercise your right to vote. Nobody can deny you that right. The only one who can deny you that right to vote is yourself (i.e. if you refuse to vote).

Discriminated against in employment? How? Have you applied to any company only to be rejected employment due to your race? Have you any evidence? How are you being discriminated against?

Discrimination by denying you access to education? How so? Have you applied to many local institutions of higher learning but denied an offer simply because you're of Chinese descent? Where's the evidence? How would you explain people like me who managed to have access to education without even having any special connections? Pure luck? I worked just as hard as anybody, too. That's no pure luck.

You can't just come in and ramble as you like without telling us why you think something is happening that way, or providing evidence. You want to persuade us to accept your point of view, but in fact hardly anything that you have posted so far would constitute as being cogent. If anything, you are convincing us more and more that the opposition is not worth voting for. Why? Because everything seems to be politicised. Something as inane as PTPTN and Lynas are dragged into politics - and by whom?

Yes, there are things in the country that appear discriminatory, but too bad, the fact is that some of these alleged "discrimination" is part of the Federal Constitution - it is enacted as law. You can cry foul and protest as much as you want, but if it can't be amended, then even if they "discriminate openly", you can't really sue them in court.

You could say that we can change all that by voting against the ruling coalition. Fine, say even if the opposition manages to form the federal government next and proposes to make amendments, you mustn't forget that some of the articles in the Federal Constitution are protected and under the jurisdiction of the Malay Rulers.

But the bottom line is this, shuwenteo, you are NOT denied your right to vote, you are NOT denied employment and you are NOT denied access to education. No law states otherwise. A person chooses their own paths, and there isn't just one path to go.
__________________
[]
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to henry_yew For This Useful Post:
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator
 
henry_yew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
  #28 Old 19-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Be specific, shuwenteo. You're talking about the right to be absent voters. My point stands in that your basic right to vote was NEVER denied in the first place. Again, you need to look at the law again on who are eligible to be considered as absent voters. It's one thing to be eligible to be absent voters by law and another to claim discrimination.

Be more engaging in a discussion, shuwenteo. Showing videos and graphics alone are not good enough. I don't buy the "Isn't this obvious?" attitude - I can just say that you're wrong and leave everything there, claiming the "Isn't this obvious?" attitude.
__________________
[]
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 533
  #29 Old 19-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwenteo View Post
I am DAP(ian). Coming to terms with this aspect of my identity has helped me to see more clearly -- the ways in which I have been denied the right to vote, legally discriminated against in employment and access to education -- forms of discrimination that we supposedly left behind. I see now that "they" are me, and I am them.
I think it's a dangerous thing to firmly associate one's self with a political party because ultimately, DAP is still JUST a party. While you may strongly agree with their current principles and ideologies, who's to say that this will not change in the future? Political parties are not static organizations- they adjust to societal wants and desires, and are more than likely to radically adopt/discard agendas when the situation demands it.

When you call yourself a 'DAP-ian', have you ever thought of what would happen if DAP's agenda turns too socialist (or too capitalist, although this is not likely) for your preference? Will you still stick with the party against your own worldview? A political party is not a religion; it does not need a profession of belief or loyalty. "I see now that 'they' are me, and I am them" sounds too cult-ish for comfort.

Even if you are/intend to be a politician, it is never wise to be too attached to any party. You should have your own worldview AND THEN pick the party that suits you most; not the other way around. A political party is nothing more than an assembly of similar ideologies- they are not doctrines.

TL;DR- Your political views can be liberal or conservative, right or left-winged, but they should NEVER EVER be 'DAP' or 'PKR' or 'BN'.
__________________
Inspire and be inspired.
Young is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator
 
youngyew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,741
  #30 Old 19-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Even liberal, conservative, right or left winged in itself are umbrella terms. Each person should arrive at their stance on each issue with coherent and independent reasoning, rather than just toeing the party line or sticking to the general direction of a particular political climate.
__________________
[][][][flickr]

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bersih, election, politics, protests, rally

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bersih 2.0 surayahamdan Malaysia Today 76 17-07-2011 10:52 AM
Hindraf rally misled_youth Malaysia Today 41 10-01-2008 07:55 PM
Bersih rally misled_youth Malaysia Today 124 01-01-2008 12:04 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.12449 seconds with 15 queries