ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Bersih 3.0 Rally

Zulhelmi Male

#71 Old 29-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas93 View Post
your assertion that 'he knew what's best for the country' is questionable, and your support for his blatant use of the ISA appalling. how would you like it if anwar or someone else took power and jailed you for not supporting him? detention without trial has no place in a progressive society. i fail to see what his use of the ISA as a tool for political repression has to do with our economic performance(which isn't stellar by any measure).

and just how many proton cars have you seen in australia pray tell
Geez... Memang la protective policy by the gov on Proton sedikit sebanyak bantu diorang untuk terus survive. Tapi bro, bila tengok barang Malaysia kat negara orang ni timbul satu perasaan bangga dan rasa patriotik terhadap negara kita, doesnt matter walaupun jumpa sebijik ke atau 100 bijik ke (tapi quite a number of times jumpa Satria GTi masa aku dok kat Sydney sebulan).

And yes, I was right. The youngsters are losing their patriotism. That's you didn't get my message on seeing Proton cars outside Malaysia.

And also I bet most of you guys are not from the north kan? I'm from Alor Setar. So datang sini, pegi masuk Hatyai, Thailand, pegi beli minyak petrol kat sana, observe cara hidup diorang macam mana, then come back to Malaysia and learn to appreciate of what we have here. I've been to many places and I've seen with my own eyes how Syria was in peace (I was there in 2010) but now due to their so called revolution, they live in chaotic and struggle to live peacefully.
Zulhelmi is offline   Reply With Quote
nicholas93 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#72 Old 29-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulhelmi View Post
And yes, I was right. The youngsters are losing their patriotism. That's you didn't get my message on seeing Proton cars outside Malaysia.

And also I bet most of you guys are not from the north kan? I'm from Alor Setar. So datang sini, pegi masuk Hatyai, Thailand, pegi beli minyak petrol kat sana, observe cara hidup diorang macam mana, then come back to Malaysia and learn to appreciate of what we have here. I've been to many places and I've seen with my own eyes how Syria was in peace (I was there in 2010) but now due to their so called revolution, they live in chaotic and struggle to live peacefully.
should we not be looking forward instead of comparing ourselves to our less fortunate neighbours and resting on our laurels? what leads you to the conclusion that youngsters are losing their patriotism? is it because they dont buy malaysian cars?

Quote:
Geez... Memang la protective policy by the gov on Proton sedikit sebanyak bantu diorang untuk terus survive. Tapi bro, bila tengok barang Malaysia kat negara orang ni timbul satu perasaan bangga dan rasa patriotik terhadap negara kita, doesnt matter walaupun jumpa sebijik ke atau 100 bijik ke (tapi quite a number of times jumpa Satria GTi masa aku dok kat Sydney sebulan).
i agree that we should be proud to see malaysian cars overseas, but their lack of quality does not reflect well on our nation. in the words of jeremy clarkson, "What I don't like about all these Korean and Malaysian cars is that you get a sense that its not designed by one man who wanted to make a great car but by a corporation that simply wanted to make money".
Zulhelmi Male

#73 Old 29-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Arghhh... In time, you will understand how to appreciate and be grateful to what we have currently. Jauh perjalanan, luas pemandangan; yang dikejar tak dapat, yang dikendong berciciran (dunno whether this is relevant but I think it is LOL)

I'm off to sleep now, I got gym tomorrow morning. Bye guys!
shawn95 Male
Less Junior Member

#74 Old 29-04-2012 Wink Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:

True, I saw a bunch of Satria's and Saga's while I was on holiday in Sydney and Gold Coast, agak bangga lah ada our national car over there.

Its a 50/50 chance in the upcoming general elections. The people know what they want, i'm just not sure they think ahead and see the bigger picture. The current gov't is lackluster... with all non-transparency, corruption, mismanagement. But I also cannot see the opposition fulfilling their (some of them) insane policies. They might drive us into bankruptcy faster.

As for the issue of Petronas, i'm glad all of you realize they can't pay for everything we want. If Petronas money went anywhere else other than paying our already massive debt, we'd still go bankrupt faster.

The way I see it, the gov't is losing money criminally which at least can be rooted out... while the opposition promising to make everything under the sun (metaphor) free, would lose money openly with the public cheering them on. Both the current gov't and the opposition as I see it, would lead us to bankruptcy unless they change. The current gov't sort of knows when the populist stance isn't the right one.

The Bersih rally I agree is an innefficent way to do things because every peaceful rally will have trouble makers. And when the police react, things usually will get out of hand. Oh well, the rally is over anyways.

Food for thought: MACC/SPRM should be a civilan-run agency with no or minimal ties to the gov't to ensure neutrality, no?

My 2 sen, cheers

(It'd be cool to debate with you guys in a competition or something, I just get flak from my friends for not leaning to the opposition)

Last edited by shawn95; 29-04-2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typo
shawn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
nicholas93 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#75 Old 29-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn95 View Post
The Bersih rally I agree is an innefficent way to do things because every peaceful rally will have trouble makers. And when the police react, things usually will get out of hand. Oh well, the rally is over anyways.
What are the viable alternatives to attain free and fair elections? What would you have us do?
Less Junior Member

#76 Old 29-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

I'm not sure why but i think Zul is comfortable with the situation now by comparing ourselves with less fortunate countries all the time. Of course, we're glad that we live in Malaysia without natural disaster or nothing. We've rich natural and human resources. But sad to say the government wasted all of this. Zul is talking how proud he feel when he saw Proton/Perodua in Australia. BUT do you know how awful I feel when I don't even see more than 10 Proton/Perodua every week in Singapore and SG is just across the border. The problem is why. And we know well the quality of the cars we made. I have trust in the new Preve at 1st. Until I saw the post about the front wheel and stuff broken while drivers test driving. By the way, I have to emphasis every youngster LOVE Malaysia and Proud to be Malaysian, at least all the Malaysian students and friends around me. We constantly update each other with Malaysia news and, most importantly, always thinking how to push Malaysia forward in near future. Just to add on, the political influences in education system has become serious these days.

Instead of moving forward, I sometimes feel that we're actually moving backward.

Anyway, we all have our own opinion which is good. =)

*there's always one thing that I'm proud to tell my foreigner friends:" Malaysia has the BEST FOOD in this world!!" *

(dunno whether this is relevant but I think it is LOL) ;)

czhong is offline   Reply With Quote
shawn95 Male
Less Junior Member

#77 Old 29-04-2012 Post Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas93 View Post
What are the viable alternatives to attain free and fair elections? What would you have us do?
Send a letter/memorandum to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong. As I learned in sejarah, the king is not involved in the legislatif or eksekutif or any part of the government for that matter. Ask the YDPA to set up those special inquiry committees to look into the general elections and the related issues that come with it.

Another idea (I think) get a neutral party like the Merdeka Centre to oversee the Suruhanjaya Pilihan Raya and ensure there is nothing fishy going on. Install CCTV in the ballot-counting room if you have to!

In some war-torn/politically ravaged countries, there are groups of people called "election observers" that monitor the election process to ensure free and fair elections especially in totalitarian/authoritarian countries. Not saying that malaysia is like that but it'll get the job done. Get the British Council or any of the other embassies in malaysia to act as the observers.

I think all the ideas I put forward are attainable, correct me if i'm wrong as i'm not just yet eligible to vote.

Last edited by shawn95; 29-04-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: typo
shawn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
nicholas93 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#78 Old 29-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by czhong View Post
I'm not sure why but i think Zul is comfortable with the situation now by comparing ourselves with less fortunate countries all the time. Of course, we're glad that we live in Malaysia without natural disaster or nothing. We've rich natural and human resources. But sad to say the government wasted all of this. Zul is talking how proud he feel when he saw Proton/Perodua in Australia. BUT do you know how awful I feel when I don't even see more than 10 Proton/Perodua every week in Singapore and SG is just across the border. The problem is why. And we know well the quality of the cars we made. I have trust in the new Preve at 1st. Until I saw the post about the front wheel and stuff broken while drivers test driving. By the way, I have to emphasis every youngster LOVE Malaysia and Proud to be Malaysian, at least all the Malaysian students and friends around me. We constantly update each other with Malaysia news and, most importantly, always thinking how to push Malaysia forward in near future. Just to add on, the political influences in education system has become serious these days.

Instead of moving forward, I sometimes feel that we're actually moving backward.

*there's always one thing that I'm proud to tell my foreigner friends:" Malaysia has the BEST FOOD in this world!!" *

i agree with you mostly, especially on the food bit. but calling other people idiots just because they share a different view is not nice =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn95 View Post
Send a letter/memorandum to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong. As I learned in sejarah, the king is not involved in the legislatif or eksekutif or any part of the government for that matter. Ask the YDPA to set up those special inquiry committees to look into the general elections and the related issues that come with it.

Another idea (I think) get a neutral party like the Merdeka Centre to oversee the Suruhanjaya Pilihan Raya and ensure there is nothing fishy going on. Install CCTV in the ballot-counting room if you have to!

In some war-torn/politically ravaged countries, there are groups of people called "election observers" that monitor the election process to ensure free and fair elections especially in totalitarian/authoritarian countries. Not saying that malaysia is like that but it'll get the job done. Get the British Council or any of the other embassies in malaysia to act as the observers.

I think all the ideas I put forward are attainable, correct me if i'm wrong as i'm not just yet eligible to vote.
during bersih 2.0 our national laureate A. Samad Said marched up to the palace to hand a memorandum to the king, but was denied entry by police officers who could not offer a reasonable reason why not. and the king has failed to see the plight of the average malaysian by calling on the general public not to attend bersih 2.0, so there is little confidence there.

for years people have been trying to get independent and international observers the permission to observe our electoral process. and so far we have not been successful.

Last edited by nicholas93; 29-04-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
nicholas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Zulhelmi Male

#79 Old 29-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by czhong View Post

You want to know why? It is because the way we Muslims are born and raise with the essential Islamic teachings. The way we Muslims view to those who joined the rally and eventually caused disturbance is they are not grateful with God's blessings to this country compared to other people living in less fortunate circumstances in other parts of this world.

One of the basic teachings in Islam to be grateful to Allah. It is not somewhat part of the pillars but it is one of the ways to strengthen our Iman (belief) on Allah. And to create this sense of thankfulness is to compared ourselves with the less fortunate people around us. Being thankful to Allah leads us to not being greedy dan orang tamak selalu rugi ya adik-adik.

That's why bila PAS pun sama naik kepala join benda-benda macam ni, the Muslims in Malaysia would probably ask why they did all these things because THEY ARE supposed to have a strong Islamic background or something and they should know better that their behaviour portrayed ingratitude to Allah. To receive more blessings from him, we should be thankful to him at all times.

But in short, we are told to be thankful so that we dont be greedy in the end. We are also asked to strive for excellence in this world so that we could achieve the utmost important excellence in the hereafter because life in the hereafter is what matters the most.
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#80 Old 29-04-2012 Default Re: Bersih 3.0 Rally

Mod note: While I am glad to see that a more constructive form of discussion or debate is going on here, I'd like to remind everyone not to resort to name-calling, i.e. "idiots" etc. If you can't agree with everything that somebody else says, you'll have to agree to disagree.

When in doubt, leave it out.

Please remain tactful and courteous.