ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships

Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships Everything about scholarships provided by the Public Services Department of Malaysia

JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#31 Old 20-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnconnor View Post
After such a lengthy discussion, where is the *proof* that JPA has *scrapped* PILN for pre-u graduates for academic years 2011/2012, 2012/2013 and 2013/2014?
It's quite clear cut in that text you posted that PILN only starts in 2014. This would clearly explain that the overseas funding of pre-university leavers will only begin in said year and since there is nothing obviously mentioned about us (the students stuck without funding) it probably means that it has been 'scrapped' for us. Understand that JPA has had a shortage of funds due to an overwhelming number of scholarships given out last year and most probably there's very little money left now to sponsor even just a tiny group of us overseas. So probably they need to accumulate some money and a 2 year gap reasons with that purpose.

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
johnconnor Male

#32 Old 20-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
It's quite clear cut in that text you posted that PILN only starts in 2014. This would clearly explain that the overseas funding of pre-university leavers will only begin in said year and since there is nothing obviously mentioned about us (the students stuck without funding) it probably means that it has been 'scrapped' for us.
Your reason is quite valid, I'd say, but nonetheless it is still a jump to the conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatcherer View Post
The proof for me is when i called jpa abt the program ivy league dan setara and they say it has ended and all piln will start in 2014
Thank you. And yes I am aware of the existence of the "thank you" button.
johnconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#33 Old 20-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnconnor View Post
Your reason is quite valid, I'd say, but nonetheless it is still a jump to the conclusion.

Thank you. And yes I am aware of the existence of the "thank you" button.
If you are hoping for physical word from them, good luck waiting. Like waiting for the KTM. My experience from the government; thet don't say anything about something, means its outside of their circle of concern.

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#34 Old 21-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannie View Post
Chemical Engineering. I made an open application Are you in Cambridge?
That is fantastic! Congratulations on your offer! Engineering in Cambridge is world renowned. Apparently there is a chance for an exchange year in the US come third year.

Nope, unfortunately not. I hope they got into a good college! What many applicants do not realise is that one really needs to do their homework researching the colleges and it is best to pick a choice. I say this because some colleges offer outstanding facilities to their students while others try to provide their best but sometimes, there is just no competition. The larger, harder to get in to colleges usually have the best facilities.
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
wannie Female

#35 Old 21-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyboy View Post
That is fantastic! Congratulations on your offer! Engineering in Cambridge is world renowned. Apparently there is a chance for an exchange year in the US come third year.

Nope, unfortunately not. I hope they got into a good college! What many applicants do not realise is that one really needs to do their homework researching the colleges and it is best to pick a choice. I say this because some colleges offer outstanding facilities to their students while others try to provide their best but sometimes, there is just no competition. The larger, harder to get in to colleges usually have the best facilities.
replied you in private message. dont want to digress :S

We have a MPPC Meme Contest NOW!
http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16172
wannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Seiryu
Slightly Senior Member

#36 Old 21-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
I'd like to see JPA try to define 'top universities' this time. The last 'Ivy-league dan setaraf' definition was a joke. UMelb, ANU, UCL and American public schools being on par with HYPMS/Oxbridge? No Amherst or Williams on the list? And the inclusion of ETH Zurich despite practising open first-year admissions? Please.
What's wrong with American public schools? UC Berkeley and UCLA are renowned in the academia as top schools, with many individual departments comparable or better than HYPS. U of Michigan's THES overall ranking is better than Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth, and on par with Penn and Columbia, also its ranking in terms of reputation is only two spots behind Yale. Many of these schools are harder to get admitted into than Oxbridge.

Ranking aside, a word of advice to all high achievers in this group. If you end up not being able to further your studies to those universities due to financial constraints, don't get disheartened. A lot of graduates of local universities end up in top schools for their Masters/ PhDs.

Last edited by Seiryu; 21-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Seiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#37 Old 21-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryu View Post
What's wrong with American public schools? UC Berkeley and UCLA are renowned in the academia as top schools, with many individual departments comparable or better than HYPS. U of Michigan's THES overall ranking is better than Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth, and on par with Penn and Columbia, also its ranking in terms of reputation is only two spots behind Yale. Many of these schools are harder to get admitted into than Oxbridge.

Ranking aside, a word of advice to all high achievers in this group. If you end up not being able to further your studies to those universities due to financial constraints, don't get disheartened. A lot of graduates of local universities end up in top schools for their Masters/ PhDs.
There's nothing wrong with the schools listed, including public schools. I am aware that they produce some excellent research BUT my point is, JPA cannot whimsically include schools based on league table rankings for various reasons:

i. School selectivity matters, especially when funds are limited. The main reason why the last Ivy-League Dan Setaraf failed was because of their poor choice of eligible schools. Thousands of Malaysians received admission letters from various top-tier UK, Australian and public American universities and applied for this scholarship (with many receiving it). This significantly diluted the overall quality of candidates. If the scholarship had substantial funds available, this wouldn't be a problem. By all means, send all of our best students to great schools everywhere. However, this isn't the case and many scholarships were given on a rolling basis, effectively alienating the brightest students in the pool who deserve the funding the most.

I am aware that bright students do not exclusively attend Oxbridge and Ivies but given JPA's poor selection criteria (no interview or comprehensive selection system, just offer letter required) and limited funding, they need all the help they can get in choosing their recipients. If the only gate-keeping mechanism in place is university selection, then their best bet is to include only the most prestigious and most selective universities (or at least give these students priority). I know that admissions into top-tier universities (especially in America) is a highly arbitrary and far from perfect process, but it's JPA's best bet.

ii. League rankings are extremely flawed. Many of the best institutions in the world are ranked poorly (or not ranked at all), and my biggest gripe of all is that teaching quality is poorly reflected in most, if not all rankings. It is an injustice to these institutions AND students if JPA were to merely lift their list of institutions from one of the many ranking tables available. They need to come up with their own list of institutions that take into account research quality AND teaching standards, amongst other things.

Last edited by Young; 21-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Young is offline   Reply With Quote
solvedrubrik
Super Junior Member

#38 Old 22-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the schools listed, including public schools. I am aware that they produce some excellent research BUT my point is, JPA cannot whimsically include schools based on league table rankings for various reasons:

i. School selectivity matters, especially when funds are limited. The main reason why the last Ivy-League Dan Setaraf failed was because of their poor choice of eligible schools. Thousands of Malaysians received admission letters from various top-tier UK, Australian and public American universities and applied for this scholarship (with many receiving it). This significantly diluted the overall quality of candidates. If the scholarship had substantial funds available, this wouldn't be a problem. By all means, send all of our best students to great schools everywhere. However, this isn't the case and many scholarships were given on a rolling basis, effectively alienating the brightest students in the pool who deserve the funding the most.

I am aware that bright students do not exclusively attend Oxbridge and Ivies but given JPA's poor selection criteria (no interview or comprehensive selection system, just offer letter required) and limited funding, they need all the help they can get in choosing their recipients. If the only gate-keeping mechanism in place is university selection, then their best bet is to include only the most prestigious and most selective universities (or at least give these students priority). I know that admissions into top-tier universities (especially in America) is a highly arbitrary and far from perfect process, but it's JPA's best bet.

ii. League rankings are extremely flawed. Many of the best institutions in the world are ranked poorly (or not ranked at all), and my biggest gripe of all is that teaching quality is poorly reflected in most, if not all rankings. It is an injustice to these institutions AND students if JPA were to merely lift their list of institutions from one of the many ranking tables available. They need to come up with their own list of institutions that take into account research quality AND teaching standards, amongst other things.
Yup, JPA have their own list for the top universities and for lower rank ones they should interview the student before selecting them. However, JPA has just go on and cut off all PILN scholarships for anyone during 2011-2013, that's pretty sad thinking how many students from malaysia who got into top universities not having even a slight chance to get a scholarship from JPA. JPA's idea is, if they cant handle it, let's just stop it. lol

Just an update from our facebook group.
We are now having 25 members and here is an article we wrote to the star recently http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...pZpp4.facebook You can share the article on facebook with your friends. Thanks. For newcomers who want to join the group, please fill in this form and we will add you in facebook from your email address given https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...eFdNRWxKZ2c6MQ Feel free to invite anyone who wants to support this petition. Thanks

Last edited by solvedrubrik; 22-04-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
solvedrubrik is offline   Reply With Quote
bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#39 Old 22-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Quote:
I'd like to see JPA try to define 'top universities' this time. The last 'Ivy-league dan setaraf' definition was a joke. UMelb, ANU, UCL and American public schools being on par with HYPMS/Oxbridge? No Amherst or Williams on the list? And the inclusion of ETH Zurich despite practising open first-year admissions? Please.
ETH Zurich has undergraduate programs......just that, kena tahu Jerman to get admitted. But from 2nd or 3rd year onwards, classes are in English.

Anyways....This is a cool initiative. I just want to say that, we should not approach this appeal with a mindset of entitlement. Getting a spot at a superb university is impressive and ought to be complimented. It doesn't however entitle us to a full sponsorship from anyone.

For those of your who have gotten offers and possibly won't be able to commence your studies abroad, perhaps you could consider taking this coming year to apply to continental European universities. Education in Europe is usually free, the most you'll pay is a few hundred to a thousand euros for admin fees. Living cost is not more expensive than SG.
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
adele123 Female

#40 Old 22-04-2012 Default Re: JPA scholarships 2012 for Pre-U holders- Petition

Education in Europe is usually free? Seriously?

Knowing Malaysians, very very few (if not none) will even think about study at non-popular destinations