ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Clonza Male
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
  #1 Old 26-04-2012 Post Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

Hi everyone, I'm facing hard times now. I'm a SPM 2011 leaver and after I got my SPM result I've applied most of the scholarships available. At this stage, I got the The Star Education Fund which offers me 1year foundation & 3years Bachelor of Business in Finance in Help University College (I wonder why there's only Finance, but not something like Banking&Finance / Accounting&Finance). The fund only covers the tuition fee so the others fee I have to bear myself (Approx RM7000 for 4years). However, I did attend Felda's & Taylor's 1st round interview, while the outcome remains unknown. I've also applied Maybank, Sime Darby & JPA - Germany.

My SPM result is not that good (4A+,5A,1A-,1B+) [Math, Add Math, Physics, Chem - A+, Bio, Eng, Moral, Sej, EST - A, BM A-, BC - B+] Problem is that, I'll think if I accept the scholarship given by The star, I've no chance to get [maybe] the better offer after my STPM. I think if I get CGPA 3.5&above plus if I get a place in Top50 Uni in the world, I can apply PILN scholarship in 2014. Or perhaps I can get other scholarships. So maybe I'll study my degree course in overseas.

Apparently I come from a low-income family, to be more precise, my parents have divorce and my mother is the only pillar in my family with monthly income RM3000. So she can't afford to support me if I didn't get any financial support.

Could anyone help me out in this case? Should I just play safe and accept the scholarship and study in Help for 4years and only continue my postgrad overseas [if I could], or take the risk to study Form 6 and wait for the better chance? Maybe UM / UKM is better than HELP institution?

One more question, my passion lies on Math and Physics. So actually it doesn't matter if I get a course like engineering or finance. But what's the difference between Finance and Banking&Finance?

I really hope that someone could share his/her experience here and give me some advice. I have to reply The Star by today. Thank you.

Last edited by Clonza; 26-04-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Clonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Bamboo
Super Junior Member
 
Bamboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
  #2 Old 26-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonza View Post
Hi everyone, I'm facing hard times now. I'm a SPM 2011 leaver and after I got my SPM result I've applied most of the scholarships available. At this stage, I got the The Star Education Fund which offers me 1year foundation & 3years Bachelor of Business in Finance in Help University College (I wonder why there's only Finance, but not something like Banking&Finance / Accounting&Finance). The fund only covers the tuition fee so the others fee I have to bear myself (Approx RM7000 for 4years). However, I did attend Felda's & Taylor's 1st round interview, while the outcome remains unknown. I've also applied Maybank, Sime Darby & JPA - Germany.

My SPM result is not that good (4A+,5A,1A-,1B+) [Math, Add Math, Physics, Chem - A+, Bio, Eng, Moral, Sej, EST - A, BM A-, BC - B+] Problem is that, I'll think if I accept the scholarship given by The star, I've no chance to get [maybe] the better offer after my STPM. I think if I get CGPA 3.5&above plus if I get a place in Top50 Uni in the world, I can apply PILN scholarship in 2014. Or perhaps I can get other scholarships. So maybe I'll study my degree course in overseas.

Apparently I come from a low-income family, to be more precise, my parents have divorce and my mother is the only pillar in my family with monthly income RM3000. So she can't afford to support me if I didn't get any financial support.

Could anyone help me out in this case? Should I just play safe and accept the scholarship and study in Help for 4years and only continue my postgrad overseas [if I could], or take the risk to study Form 6 and wait for the better chance? Maybe UM / UKM is better than HELP institution?

One more question, my passion lies on Math and Physics. So actually it doesn't matter if I get a course like engineering or finance. But what's the difference between Finance and Banking&Finance?

I really hope that someone could share his/her experience here and give me some advice. I have to reply The Star by today. Thank you.
It really depends on what you want. If you want to experience overseas education, give it another shot with Form 6. Work harder in Form 6. Even if things don't turn out well after form 6(that is you didnt get a better scholarship), you could always apply to these scholarships with your Form 6 results. There might be more options by then.
I hope someone else can help you with the banking and finance question.
__________________
WHO'S DONE WITH A LEVELS???!!? MEEEEEEEEEE
Now selling my books here:
A Level Science books and SAT books
Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamboo For This Useful Post:
quest_5692 Male
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 148
  #3 Old 26-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

i think it all comes down to your personality and passion. you said your passion is in maths and physics, the fact that you wrote this post means that you are not satisfied with the offer from The Stars. Are you ambitious? Do you think you deserve better? Maybe actuarial study in UK? MBA in one of the top ivy leagues in US? maybe this is a good time to self reality check, how good are you. try to look at your peers, it would be a pity if you were robbed the chance to study oversea if its because of financial constrains. If you are sure that you deserve better, give yourself another chance. I met a lot of courageous young man in my scholarship interviews who took a leap of faith in their Pre-U, now they got offers from top UK universities, just waiting for financial fund from companies.

anyway, accepting this offer means that you are financially assured for your entire Tertiary study. If you are more of a career kind of guy, believes that degree is nothing more than a passport to the industry, then this is a good offer. you will be a financially independent graduate in 4 years time starting your career ladder fresh. after all, what companies want in the end is a strong worker, no matter he is from cambridge or help.
quest_5692 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quest_5692 For This Useful Post:
adele123 Female
Member
 
adele123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 345
  #4 Old 27-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

#1 banking&finance vs finance, afaik, not very different, but i'll be able to explain more if i know which 2 specific degree/university you are referring to

#2 i seriously think studying overseas a bit overrated (i'll get flame for saying this, but oh well)

i did form6, i'm gonna graduate at 23 (my degree if 3 years), which is really late compare to some others. (i thought graduating late and having a 6-year-bond was okay but something changed recently)

digress: i have never worked in a recruitment office, there must be advantage to people who graduated from cambridge, after all, it will be quite pointless to go all the way there (again, back to #2). then again, i bet that's only one piece of the puzzle, after all. then again, IDK

try to think about what you want to do (SPECIFICALLY), in the future, be realistic, be open-minded (this is definitely very hard for 17/18, but good luck)
__________________
i'm cynical, but for the right reasons (i think)
adele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adele123 For This Useful Post:
Clonza Male
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
  #5 Old 27-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
It really depends on what you want. If you want to experience overseas education, give it another shot with Form 6. Work harder in Form 6. Even if things don't turn out well after form 6(that is you didnt get a better scholarship), you could always apply to these scholarships with your Form 6 results. There might be more options by then.
I hope someone else can help you with the banking and finance question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest_5692 View Post
i think it all comes down to your personality and passion. you said your passion is in maths and physics, the fact that you wrote this post means that you are not satisfied with the offer from The Stars. Are you ambitious? Do you think you deserve better? Maybe actuarial study in UK? MBA in one of the top ivy leagues in US? maybe this is a good time to self reality check, how good are you. try to look at your peers, it would be a pity if you were robbed the chance to study oversea if its because of financial constrains. If you are sure that you deserve better, give yourself another chance. I met a lot of courageous young man in my scholarship interviews who took a leap of faith in their Pre-U, now they got offers from top UK universities, just waiting for financial fund from companies.

anyway, accepting this offer means that you are financially assured for your entire Tertiary study. If you are more of a career kind of guy, believes that degree is nothing more than a passport to the industry, then this is a good offer. you will be a financially independent graduate in 4 years time starting your career ladder fresh. after all, what companies want in the end is a strong worker, no matter he is from cambridge or help.
First of all, I appreciate your advices. Maybe I should give myself one more chance to fulfil my dream. Truthfully, I really can't satisfy with the offer, if not I'll just accept it without hesitations. But I don't really know how good I am, I can't assure that I could secure a place in any of the world's top notch university. With my result, maybe I'm too greedy and ambitious.

What if I got offer from top University and I can't get any financial support? There're too many uncertainties. Frankly speaking, I'm afraid I can't get it at the end. But at the first place, I have to try right? Or maybe a degree is just a stepping stone for me in the future in order to get a job, and what next is all about my performance right?

What a tough decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele123 View Post
#1 banking&finance vs finance, afaik, not very different, but i'll be able to explain more if i know which 2 specific degree/university you are referring to

#2 i seriously think studying overseas a bit overrated (i'll get flame for saying this, but oh well)

i did form6, i'm gonna graduate at 23 (my degree if 3 years), which is really late compare to some others. (i thought graduating late and having a 6-year-bond was okay but something changed recently)

digress: i have never worked in a recruitment office, there must be advantage to people who graduated from cambridge, after all, it will be quite pointless to go all the way there (again, back to #2). then again, i bet that's only one piece of the puzzle, after all. then again, IDK

try to think about what you want to do (SPECIFICALLY), in the future, be realistic, be open-minded (this is definitely very hard for 17/18, but good luck)
Thanks for the information given. I've thought to pursue the actuarial science course after I've completed my SPM. But after I've done the researches, I found that actuarial science is not entirely mathematics stuff, it's more on finance and problem solving? And a degree for Actuarial Science is just an exemption for few qualification papers, while you have to continue your studying and complete the other qualification papers(Not necessary but for a higher pay). So it would be very tough and stress for me.

I've a friend who just completed her degree of Actuarial Science in Australia and now she's working at a consultancy firm. She studies extremely hard throughout the years. I noticed that you're also studying in Australia, are you a scholar? So what did you do after STPM? I love calculations & challenging questions, is actuarial science suits me?

Last edited by Clonza; 27-04-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Clonza is offline   Reply With Quote
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member
 
frostbyte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 664
  #6 Old 27-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

Hi clonza. Been observing your situation and the replies. Though I have not met you yet, I believe from your pattern of speech you are a person who definitely holds potential to be a great student. Let me enligthen the fact that receiving the Star scholarship does not fall short of achieving something remarkable. I had also applied to the Star for a sponsorship for undergraduate in HELP too but it looks like I did not make the cut. So, first off congratulations.

In my opinion, I think it's not an opportunity you should waste away. Seriously, studying overseas definitely is a wonderful experience and definitely an opportunity worth trying but it is not a necessity. There is nothing absolutely wrong about our local tertiary education quality, especially since there has been rapid improvement in the quality of local private education. However, as you have highlighted, you are from a low-income family right? Did it occur to you to ask your mother about how she would feel if you were to turn down such a wonderful windfall of good fortune? I am not assuring that it's close to impossible if you were to try again after taking Form 6. However, you do need to be aware the chance of being turned down in the future is always there. So, enquire your mother's opinion. I am sure she would want to be actively involved in whatevef education decisions you make from this point on. The only reasoning you should ever give to reject is that the Star is not offering what you asked for. I'm out now so I will rewrite my opinion properly when I return. Till then, please consider carefully what you might be potentially throwing away along with the costs and possible consequences of your decision in the future. I'm sure you will be able to make the right decision. Btw, if you really are interested in knowing more about actuarial science, I have two friends on ReCom who are going to pursue it. Perhaps I should get them to reply your thread here?
__________________
Hebrews 6 : 10
"God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them."


Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
 
yanno_yamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 888
  #7 Old 27-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele123 View Post
#2 i seriously think studying overseas a bit overrated (i'll get flame for saying this, but oh well)
I would agree with you if you are referring to people wanting to go overseas because education in Malaysia sucks. Quite a number of private institutions in Malaysia have pretty good standards. I'm not sure about public institutions but the famous ones such as UM and USM should be of good quality too.

But I would disagree with you when it comes to gaining exposure to new cultures. Studying overseas can be really eye-opening as we get to know more about students of other nationalities. But sadly, I notice that a lot of Malaysians tend to stick to their own kind... I guess this is the reason for your argument...
__________________
Do not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.
-Buddha; in Kalama Sutta-

May you be well and happy!!! :)
yanno_yamster is offline   Reply With Quote
adele123 Female
Member
 
adele123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 345
  #8 Old 27-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

^yep, exactly. (i was too lazy to explain) you study in unsw right? mesti banyak orang m'sia. i seriously think i experience more if i get out of my uni. i just dont like the fact that a lot wanting to study in another country without being realistic about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonza View Post
(whatever that was written good short story about AS)

I've a friend who just completed her degree of Actuarial Science in Australia and now she's working at a consultancy firm. She studies extremely hard throughout the years. I noticed that you're also studying in Australia, are you a scholar? So what did you do after STPM? I love calculations & challenging questions, is actuarial science suits me?
i am studying in australia, AS, post-STPM, i got scholarship.

i bet your friend must be earning a lot $__$ and yes, it takes a few years, after one graduates with the degree to be able to obtain the fellowship

if there's a personality test for whether one is suitable to study AS, i will say, that's completely b*lls**t (sorry). suitable for you? i can't even answer that for myself. if you want to know more, pm me, i can point you in the right direction so you can do some wikipedia reading on the stuff i learn
__________________
i'm cynical, but for the right reasons (i think)
adele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adele123 For This Useful Post:
Nicholasng925 Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
 
Nicholasng925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,694
  #9 Old 27-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonza View Post
Thanks for the information given. I've thought to pursue the actuarial science course after I've completed my SPM. But after I've done the researches, I found that actuarial science is not entirely mathematics stuff, it's more on finance and problem solving? And a degree for Actuarial Science is just an exemption for few qualification papers, while you have to continue your studying and complete the other qualification papers(Not necessary but for a higher pay). So it would be very tough and stress for me.

I've a friend who just completed her degree of Actuarial Science in Australia and now she's working at a consultancy firm. She studies extremely hard throughout the years. I noticed that you're also studying in Australia, are you a scholar? So what did you do after STPM? I love calculations & challenging questions, is actuarial science suits me?
Yes you're right about Actuarial Science not being entirely about maths. It's more inclined towards statistics and probability with moderate components of economics and finance in it. What you will learn a lot are not purely calculations but concepts that are hard to be grasped. Of course the calculations are hard too but would definitely be relatively easier than maths and physic degree.

And a degree of Actuarial Science is just an exemption for few papers? Depending on which board are you looking at. For US, there is NO exemption at all and you have to complete all 8 papers on your own. For Australia there are some exemptions and UK as well. It's tough and stressful for anyone giving attempt to pass the grueling series of exams but it's financially rewarding. Think of your interest in maths and problem solving. It interests you and that's what you want to do for life? Seriously? Think hard and answer yourself.

Are you willing to devote most of your time inside your room studying for the next 7 years? This might seem over-exaggerating but the time spent on the qualifying process would not be very much lesser than that, if not no difference. Since you have done your research, you should be clear on whether this course interests you. I would suggest you to drop it if you find it boring, although what I can say is these subjects are quite interesting if you enjoy solving complex problems.

Good luck!
__________________
=[(*The Three Rules of Work*)]=

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
=[{Albert Einstein}]=


Feel free to visit my blog here!!!
Nicholasng925 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholasng925 For This Useful Post:
quest_5692 Male
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 148
  #10 Old 27-04-2012 Default Re: Deal or not deal? The Star Education Fund

another point for you to ponder, your career aspiration might change in the course of next 1-2 years. you might meet new people who will inspire you. After all, you are just 17/18. Finance is a very big field and there are a lot of specialized courses in it, Acturial science is just one of the more mainstream one. part of the reason is because they earn a lot. if you do form 6 or a levels (with scholarship), you will have 2 more years to explore yourself.

just a few examples, when i was a SPM leaver, i wanted to do law/business kind of stuff although im strong in maths (i'll put most part of the blame to my surrounding and parents for exposing me to this part of the world only). I was never exposed to the prospective of a maths major, never knew that by doing something i love, i will still be able to work in the finance world, not to mention be a specialist in finance(no, im not talking about actuarial science) matter of fact, traditional parents will only recommend 4 career path, lawyer, doctor, engineer and business.

my friend's mom sign him up for a bio based a levels wanting him to be a doctor. he followed because he was ok with anything. after a lvls, he realized his passion is in engineering. this is because in a levels, your teachers will be at least a master graduate in their respective course and the stuff you learn in school will be deeper than high school, so you will have an insight what you really excel in and what you really like.

another friend of mine is SOOOO passionate in investing and trading. he read up books, go for investing tuition and even play in the stock and feature market in US. but then last month, he turn down his all 5 UCAS business offers, including cass business school and LSE. to go through UCAS extra for a pure maths degree in warwick. because he realized that although his aspiration is to be a top notch finance specialist, a degree in finance is not enough, he needed his maths basics for a better master graduate.

p/s if you get an offer from oversea schools but fail to secure a scholarship, don't worry, theres always public universities in malaysia. Moreover, local universities are great too, my point was just reminding you that your aspiration might change in the future, you might not want to tie yourself to 1 route.
quest_5692 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quest_5692 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion: STAR Education Fund 2010 Vic Scholarships 39 23-05-2011 10:42 AM
Help: The Star Education Fund 2011 PennyLing Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 14 16-05-2011 02:34 AM
The Star Education Fund 2009 Speeddemon Scholarships 70 10-06-2009 10:33 PM
The Star Education Fund 2008 Chrisntine Scholarships 21 13-05-2008 09:47 PM
Star education fund suelyn Education 7 11-04-2006 01:46 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.14842 seconds with 15 queries