ReCom.org
Questions/ Comments/ Complaints Post your SITE-related questions and comments here.
(For education, scholarships etc, please post your question in the respective sub-forums)

degree in accounting

schlep
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 16-07-2012 Default degree in accounting

Hello. I just want to ask your opinion on this. See, I'm considering on taking accounting & finance or accounting for my degree in a private uni, since I couldn't secure any places in public unis, but thing is, I don't have any account basics at all. I was in science side in F4 & F5, didn't take Prinsip Akaun for my SPM. I scored 8As 1B in my SPM, and continued my foundation in science (Phy, Chem, Bio & Maths) at one of public unis and got CGPA of 3.59. So, I would appreciate it if you can share your thoughts with me. Will I be able to cope with accounting without any basics (in high school/pre-u) at all? Or should I consider other courses like finance? Engineering is out of question because I hate physics, and I think I've had enough of phy for 3 years already. Plus, I only study physics to maintain my pointer.
schlep is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#2 Old 16-07-2012 Default Re: degree in accounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlep View Post
Hello. I just want to ask your opinion on this. See, I'm considering on taking accounting & finance or accounting for my degree in a private uni, since I couldn't secure any places in public unis, but thing is, I don't have any account basics at all. I was in science side in F4 & F5, didn't take Prinsip Akaun for my SPM. I scored 8As 1B in my SPM, and continued my foundation in science (Phy, Chem, Bio & Maths) at one of public unis and got CGPA of 3.59. So, I would appreciate it if you can share your thoughts with me. Will I be able to cope with accounting without any basics (in high school/pre-u) at all? Or should I consider other courses like finance? Engineering is out of question because I hate physics, and I think I've had enough of phy for 3 years already. Plus, I only study physics to maintain my pointer.
Lots of people take accounting in uni without basics. The lecturers treat all their students like we don't have any basis in accounting, and start teaching from what we would typically learn in high school or pre-U. you should be able to cope just fine.

finance is partially accounting as well, and there are parts of finance you'd have learnt if you did accounting before. however, since you have no background, taking finance is akin to taking accounting. it's better if you take both instead of just one, as they make a good combination, and you'll be more desirable when you're looking for a job.
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
schlep
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 16-07-2012 Default Re: degree in accounting

Thank you Dominic!
schlep is offline   Reply With Quote
dongdong Female
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 19-07-2012 Default Re: degree in accounting

im offered for law course in UM.. i thought of changing my course to accountany...do you think it is a wise decision??
dongdong is offline   Reply With Quote