ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > SPM & STPM

SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

STPM to NUS and universities overseas, chances? possibilities? requirements?

TCHINSOON Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 13-07-2013 Post STPM to NUS and universities overseas, chances? possibilities? requirements?

Hello

I am first year STPM student, studying in Art stream (p.perniagaan+ekonomi+perakaunan+Am).
I am thinking after STPM I would like to further my study in National University of Singapore.
I have seen a lot forum discussions about Stpm to NUS, but it seemed to me only science stream Stpm leavers stood the high chance to earn a place into NUS, since i have not read about any arts/business students got into NUS.

I was a science stream student and got 11As in SPM with 7A+, So i think 4.O in Stpm ( art stream) should not be a problem if i work hard.

I would like to study Bachelor of Psychology and Business, or Ecomomics and Business management.

My first choice University is NUS.

So, here are the questions:

1.What are the chances to get into NUSingpore? Is it really that competitive/ possible for art stream stpm leaver like me to enter NUS?

2.For other oversea universities in UK/USA, I know Standford and universities in UK accept STPM leavers. Does JPA give scholarships to STPM business student to study in UK/US? Any other schorlarships offer for STPMers who want to study in UK/US?

3. Do universities in US/UK accept Stpm Business students?

Any other advices are appreciated. Thank you.
TCHINSOON is offline   Reply With Quote
chewxxxx
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 14-07-2013 Default Re: STPM to NUS and universities overseas, chances? possibilities? requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHINSOON View Post
Hello

I am first year STPM student, studying in Art stream (p.perniagaan+ekonomi+perakaunan+Am).
I am thinking after STPM I would like to further my study in National University of Singapore.
I have seen a lot forum discussions about Stpm to NUS, but it seemed to me only science stream Stpm leavers stood the high chance to earn a place into NUS, since i have not read about any arts/business students got into NUS.

I was a science stream student and got 11As in SPM with 7A+, So i think 4.O in Stpm ( art stream) should not be a problem if i work hard.

I would like to study Bachelor of Psychology and Business, or Ecomomics and Business management.

My first choice University is NUS.

So, here are the questions:

1.What are the chances to get into NUSingpore? Is it really that competitive/ possible for art stream stpm leaver like me to enter NUS?

2.For other oversea universities in UK/USA, I know Standford and universities in UK accept STPM leavers. Does JPA give scholarships to STPM business student to study in UK/US? Any other schorlarships offer for STPMers who want to study in UK/US?

3. Do universities in US/UK accept Stpm Business students?

Any other advices are appreciated. Thank you.
Actually u may send an e-mail to nus for enquiry about ur uncertainties. they are quite helpful n will reply u within few days
chewxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Jinified Male
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 14-07-2013 Default Re: STPM to NUS and universities overseas, chances? possibilities? requirements?

Hi, I am going to NUS this August, I am an STPM student and the entrance can be quite competitive for hot courses like dentistry and law. It is definitely possible to get in with 4.0 and a good interview I guess.

Astro, Khazanah and JPA(only IVY league schools) actually sponsor oversea studies

STPM has wide recognition from many unis in US and UK. You have to take SAT for US.

Don't worry. Just go for it.
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#4 Old 14-07-2013 Default Re: STPM to NUS and universities overseas, chances? possibilities? requirements?

I know for a fact that for science courses there's no problem in STPM students going abroad. I didn't take STPM myself but I met someone at Khazanah Stage 2 who got an offer from Imperial for Biochemistry, and I know that Singaporean unis even prefer STPM compared to A-levels, as they consider it to be on the same level of difficulty as their own Singapore-Cambridge A-levels.
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 15-07-2013 Default Re: STPM to NUS and universities overseas, chances? possibilities? requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
I know for a fact that for science courses there's no problem in STPM students going abroad. I didn't take STPM myself but I met someone at Khazanah Stage 2 who got an offer from Imperial for Biochemistry, and I know that Singaporean unis even prefer STPM compared to A-levels, as they consider it to be on the same level of difficulty as their own Singapore-Cambridge A-levels.
Exactly! Don't worry, if you do well in STPM, you can certainly go anywhere.

Although you would still need to take SAT if you want to get into the US for most US universities. However some may not require it and some may only require that you take 2 subject tests not the whole SAT, such as MIT if I'm not mistaken.