ReCom.org
Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Is cursing okay?

View Poll Results: Is cursing okay?
Why not? I do it all the time 10 12.20%
Only among my close friends 13 15.85%
Only when I'm really pissed off 48 58.54%
Absolutely no. Try it in front of me and I'm slapping you right in the face! 11 13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

MothBall
Less Junior Member

#11 Old 26-04-2005 Default

I used to curse a lot when i wz younger. But now i kinda hold back from doing that. Cursing is really bad cuz it can worsen tense situations. Many violent fights and bloodshed started from cursing one another. Besides, if u curse in the public, some will see you as an ill-mannered person. That's not good for ur image rite?

Well, sometimes i curse ppl in my mind but that's it, dun let it out from ur mouth. It's okay to let off some steam, but make sure it doesn't scorch others.
Super Junior Member

#12 Old 26-04-2005 Default

It's just the opposite for me. I find that I tend to curse more nowadays although only in my mind. It's become such a force of habit that I find myself saying it out loud by accident. Almost blurted out the F-word in front of my mum. That was scary. I think cursing is bad but I end up doing it myself.

I don't know where this habit comes from. My family and friends don't curse so it can't be from them. I watch the "family friendly shows" so there's no curses there. Not to mention that the TV channel will censor it. So where did I pick it up?
elemneon is offline   Reply With Quote
flyinghigh
Super Junior Member

#13 Old 26-04-2005 Default

what do u mean by cursing?
saying words like "go to die", "stupid pig", "useless", "no brain"... etc?
btw, one of my friend is like that...
when he wanna greets u, he would say :"hi, idiot!"
when he is angry, he would say the word begin with F...
he would do that all the time in evryway....
sometimes, i just dont wanna talk to him... because of his rude words...
flyinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
lolilo

#14 Old 26-04-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemneon
It's just the opposite for me. I find that I tend to curse more nowadays although only in my mind. It's become such a force of habit that I find myself saying it out loud by accident. Almost blurted out the F-word in front of my mum. That was scary. I think cursing is bad but I end up doing it myself.

I don't know where this habit comes from. My family and friends don't curse so it can't be from them. I watch the "family friendly shows" so there's no curses there. Not to mention that the TV channel will censor it. So where did I pick it up?
song lyrics, books, mags, internet, friends, school, society, haha....bad bad influences.

I don't dare to curse in front of my parents, never did anyway, cos they will slap you on your face, right at that moment. i used to say"shit"when something really pisses me, but my dad ask me to use "goodness" instead, and now i am trying to change, ahaha.

i feel that cursing in chinese dialects is really really really rude ( crude). just my opinion.

#15 Old 26-04-2005 Default

I personally don't curse and have resisted every temptation to say the F word out loud but it's taking more control within myself to not to THINK that word.

It's not okay for me to use it nor for others to use on me. But I've gotten so used to it with friends who are able to form perfectly grammatically correct sentences with every possible swear word and at the same time sound completely coherent and sure of themselves (as opposed to people who swear for the sake of *gasp* sounding cool) - dah biasa la.

One thing I've learnt - never swear in front of kids! I made the mistake of uttering "Oh s***!" in front of my kid brother once. Big, big mistake. He picked up words like "disgusting" and "you are super irritating" from me too.
balderdash is offline   Reply With Quote
zAiTsEv

#16 Old 26-04-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderdash
One thing I've learnt - never swear in front of kids! I made the mistake of uttering "Oh s***!" in front of my kid brother once. Big, big mistake. He picked up words like "disgusting" and "you are super irritating" from me too.
Anyone watched "Meet The Fockers"?
Less Junior Member

#17 Old 26-04-2005 Default

Well, I think cursing reflects badly on you.

One of my teachers commented that she had visited a few places in China which have a lot of flawlessly beautiful women. Sadly, once those women started to speak, their beauty no longer held its charm. Their words were worms.

There are a lot of ways we pick up this habit. But I discover that even through books that we can learn this "art" of communication. Try read a Stephen King's novel, and you will find that almost every page contains some profanities. But I must admit some of them are really colourful and creative...

Curse in your mind to yourself, if that is what really helps you to crowd out some unwanted feeling. But never utter cursing words out. It humiliates.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
lolilo

#18 Old 26-04-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAiTsEv
Quote:
Originally Posted by balderdash
Anyone watched "Meet The Fockers"?
* grinzzz*

as.....ol......!
KittyLover
Administrator

#19 Old 26-04-2005 Default

uh, I have a friend who always say something like "what the fart", "what the freak", "shoot", "dang", "shoot the frat up" etc instead of the *real* curses ... what do you guys think about these pseudo-curses (term coined by me )? are they still bad? half as bad?

#20 Old 26-04-2005 Default

yes,i think it's absolutely bad......
coz it shows that how howard he is...hehe.....(just kidding)
Yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote