ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Should we shut down Sg. Petani Hospital?

masdie

#1 Old 18-09-2005 Default Should we shut down Sg. Petani Hospital?

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...970&sec=nation

I'm sick of hearing all those shocking news regarding Sg. Petani Hospital: bad treatment, lack of competency, mistaking newborn's gender, stolen baby etc

We have to put a stop to this nonsense. How?
masdie is offline   Reply With Quote
__earth Male

#2 Old 18-09-2005 Default

Er, I don't think we should shut down the hospital. Shut down - that kinda overboard. Ppl need the hospital

Replace somebody over there - maybe.
khor_albert
Anchors

#3 Old 18-09-2005 Default

err...masdie...excuse me...did u just put "Should WE shut down Sg Petani Hospital?" as the topic? WE cannot shut down the hospital, Government can. What WE can do is to propose ways to overcome this problem and not to run away from it. Shutting down the hospital will not solve the problem but will create more problems as Sungai Petani residents will now lose the important place for treatment and have to resort to private institutions and pay through their nose instead.

I think the hospital system should be analysed and changes should be made whenever necessary. With the increasing use of ICT, the systems should be more organised and such blunders should not recur anymore.

#4 Old 18-09-2005 Default Re: Should we shut down Sg. Petani Hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdie
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/9/18/nation/12077970&sec=nation

I'm sick of hearing all those shocking news regarding Sg. Petani Hospital: bad treatment, lack of competency, mistaking newborn's gender, stolen baby etc

We have to put a stop to this nonsense. How?
i agree with what others had said. what we hear so far are the bad cases that happened there. no where in the media reports that how the hospital has helped the community there, esp the poor. please dont merely focus on the bad points that you are neglecting the good ones

#5 Old 18-09-2005 Default

Okay, now I feel like I'm a bad guy.

I was thinking of closing down the hospital for her name is already rotten smelly. Why not give it a new name? With all the accumulated bad news, people might be discouraged to go to that particular hospital. Revamp you may say, and I say it's only words, never action. The newspapers had published about governmental agencies improving their service, revamping the system but are there any major difference? Slight difference is not enough. Privatising it will not work either. Malaysians have to learn to be competitive. This 'tidak-apa' attitude is killing us all. Why do these news keep on reaching the public? Didn't the authority take any action at all? If they never want to learn from their mistakes, what's there to improve on? Have any of you been to this hospital? Are the people really satisfied with the service there? Or their 'tidak-apa' attitude told them to just shut up as long as they get treatment because it's cheap to get treatment in hospitals?

Hehe...I'm really bad.
gonjeng

#6 Old 18-09-2005 Default

Quote:
Okay, now I feel like I'm a bad guy.

I was thinking of closing down the hospital for her name is already rotten smelly. Why not give it a new name? With all the accumulated bad news, people might be discouraged to go to that particular hospital. Revamp you may say, and I say it's only words, never action. The newspapers had published about governmental agencies improving their service, revamping the system but are there any major difference? Slight difference is not enough. Privatising it will not work either. Malaysians have to learn to be competitive. This 'tidak-apa' attitude is killing us all. Why do these news keep on reaching the public? Didn't the authority take any action at all? If they never want to learn from their mistakes, what's there to improve on? Have any of you been to this hospital? Are the people really satisfied with the service there? Or their 'tidak-apa' attitude told them to just shut up as long as they get treatment because it's cheap to get treatment in hospitals?

Hehe...I'm really bad.
i think its fine to give it a new name, as long as the system diperbetulkan... as far as government agencies, although they are not up to he standard yet, there are some improvements - at least with the departments where i have dealt with. i have to agree that so far, only slight improvements have been seen, but i honestly think that the change is still in the premature stage. it will take a while to metamorph completely. although other may say that they are taking heck too much time to change, i believe that it cannot be otherwise. why? coz the actual change comes from the ppl who work in these departments. to change sth physically (makes office looks good, etc.) can take as soon as a day to be done, but to change the working ethics, attitude, etc. of the ppl will take many months. some ppl change quicker that others. some are even act as a deterrant to change (always demotivate ppl to change, dengki, etc.), which are also common in the society - at least to the malays, although im not sure with other races. anyway, the point to make is not to haste in making judgment on the government's effort in revamping the system neither to stop critisizing so to let them know more changes are needed im not a promoting on behalf of the government, but i just think that reality check is needed

as for the hospital issue, do you really think that the issue is with the administration itself? do you really think that all this huu haa are because of incompetent doctors and nurses there? go talk to a doctor and see how is life being a doctor in a government's hospital. from the feedback i got, they are freaking over-worked. imagine working more than 24 hours in a day (on-call + post call) and have to keep their professionalism, alertness and awareness to the max all the time... and imagine doing that 3,4 times per week every week in a month and every month in a year... i personally thinks that it is impossible to maintain the quality output ppl are expecting to see. im not saying that its okay for them to make faults, but i hope ppl do realize the amount of work these doctors have on their shoulders. its easy to hear ppl complaints about how suxx a hospital is, how they have to wait for hours for minutes of treatment, and what not... now im urging us all to look at the other side and understand why such things happened - rather than blatantly blaming ppl without knowing what they have to go through...

#7 Old 19-09-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonjeng
..... i honestly think that the change is still in the premature stage. it will take a while to metamorph completely.......
Okay, the multimillion dollar question: how long do m'sians need to change for the better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonjeng
......go talk to a doctor and see how is life being a doctor in a government's hospital. from the feedback i got, they are freaking over-worked. imagine working more than 24 hours in a day (on-call + post call) and have to keep their professionalism, alertness and awareness to the max all the time... and imagine doing that 3,4 times per week every week in a month and every month in a year....
Dear gonjeng my friend, do you think only m'sian doctors are overworked? You're in the states. Do you know how long US doctors work? I checked their residency info and in general, they work around 70 hours a week and a mean of 30 hours a shift. Isn't that comparable to our m'sian doctors? Doctors should know what they'll be facing before jumping straight into the waters. If they're not up for the challenge, then resign! Let others who're more capable have their job. However, I think it's the nurses who're at fault in this Sg. Petani Hospital. Most of the cases involved nurses.

ps: At first, I started this thread because I just want something to talk about. Turns out that I'm being shot at, at different angles. So no matter what my stand was before this, I'm sticking to pro-demolition from now onwards. Fire in the hoLEEE!!!!!!
masdie

#8 Old 19-09-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khor_albert
What WE can do is to propose ways to overcome this problem and not to run away from it.
I'm not running away, that's why I created this thread. If I'm running away, I will be tight-lipped over this. I want people on recom to notice this problem we have with our healthcare so that next time when it's their turn to rule m'sia, they'll remember not to screw up our healthcare system.

Quote:
With the increasing use of ICT, the systems should be more organised and such blunders should not recur anymore.
Baby missing, baby switched, humiliating service. These three are the ones we know about. If those buggars at Sg. Petani Hospital are really at work, then how come they never do anything about the first case and let a 2nd case slip up and then followed by a 3rd? I think these fellows are not taking these things seriously.

ps: your reply sounded snobbish and sarcastic. Sorry but I do not like it. Maybe you would want to change that attitude boy.
zAiTsEv

#9 Old 19-09-2005 Default

Quote:
With the increasing use of ICT, the systems should be more organised and such blunders should not recur anymore.
ICT won't help as long as the staff do not have professional attitude. Moreover, w/ our 3rd world maintenance, systems break down from time to time, thus making things worse.
Anchors

#10 Old 19-09-2005 Default

Quote:
ps: your reply sounded snobbish and sarcastic. Sorry but I do not like it. Maybe you would want to change that attitude boy.
Well, if you must interpret it that away, I will apologise. But I look at this as a personal attack and I don't want to start calling names. Besides, I don't like that idea of calling a ReComer a "boy" as something tells me that I am not a boy.

We have to admit staffs in Sg Petani Hospital are really in a mess. However, how far will shutting down the whole hospital will help? What if we do changes in the hospital? Get those staffs who are responsible for this shameful blunder and remove them from the hospital grounds. I don't think the whole hospital whould be held accountable. Improve the system (or even replace it). There's no need at all for "quarantine".

And yes, Malaysian doctors are really overworked..I totally agree...but that should not be a reason for them to commit mistakes as mistakes can sometimes cause fatal effects.