ReCom.org
Psychology Want to read people's mind? Know something about the brain composition? Come here.

differences of guys and girls

banshee
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 04-11-2005 Default differences of guys and girls

since "men are from mars , women are from venus"
is quite famous, and a bestseller ..

It's quite obvious that men & women are quite different..

^_^ just wanna hear your opinions..

different body part is 1...
FCHP Male
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 04-11-2005 Default

Quote:
I agree with male and female being totally different; physically, mentally, emotionally and in almost whatever make up you want to look at there's bound to be differences.... In fact i find the contrast so obvious that politically correct notions sounds really unreasonable to me... All that propaganda and arguements about men and women being equal and so on... pure rubbish... men and women are not equal , period. We should all have equal rights as humans but expecting men an women to be equal to the extent of expecting same performance in physical tasks like the army combat units and so on. I don't mean to be chauvinist but i'm just giving this as an example of some obvious general differences.

Physically men are generally better and exceptional expertise in almost any area (fashion, cooking, arts) since to be held by men though in general the male population seem to be more intellectually challenged...
FCHP is offline   Reply With Quote
balderdash

#3 Old 05-11-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCHP
Quote:
I agree with male and female being totally different; physically, mentally, emotionally and in almost whatever make up you want to look at there's bound to be differences.... In fact i find the contrast so obvious that politically correct notions sounds really unreasonable to me... All that propaganda and arguements about men and women being equal and so on... pure rubbish... men and women are not equal , period. We should all have equal rights as humans but expecting men an women to be equal to the extent of expecting same performance in physical tasks like the army combat units and so on. I don't mean to be chauvinist but i'm just giving this as an example of some obvious general differences.

Physically men are generally better and exceptional expertise in almost any area (fashion, cooking, arts) since to be held by men though in general the male population seem to be more intellectually challenged...
Whoa - hold it right there - men and women are definitely different as you said.

Still okay.

Physically men are generally better?
Really?

"Exceptional expertise in almost any area"?
Definitions, definitions!

"the male population seem to be more intellectually challenged"?
If one is intellectually challenged - how is he "exceptional expertise" [sic]?

I think that's quite a contradiction there dah-ling.

There are many schools of thought concerning feminism and its cause for equality and stuff. So don't over generalise the fight for equality. It's one thing to say that men and women may not be too equal in some tasks but it's another thing to give a sweeping statement that men and women are NOT equal.

That shouldn't even be the argument. The argument should be more towards why are women treated differently in fields where they have been proven to be able to perform the same jobs as men? Why are women constantly measured against men and who came up with that standard in the first place?

If all these "politically correct notions sounds [sic] really unreasonable" to you because the difference between men and women are "so obvious", maybe you'd like to know that these studies stem from the very fact that men and women are different- down to the way they are treated! And it's not just about being "politically correct" - real things are happening everywhere and women (and men alike!) are being prejudiced against just because of their gender!

Then again, reading up more might help you more instead of my outburst here.
balderdash is offline   Reply With Quote
FCHP Male
Less Junior Member

#4 Old 14-11-2005 Default

Sorry for the late reply Dear-rie....

Quote:
Really?
Hmm maybe it's different where you live but so far i usually see male construction workers, fighters, well you get the picture... oh and if you don't then i guess we must just live in different worlds

Quote:
Perhaps you will again say that this is caused by discrimination but seems that for any occupation or specialty area... well kinda hard to find an area where women dominate as the best, what i mean is top positions seem to be normally held by men.... can anyone tell me of any?

Quote:
This can be discussed but girls seem to do better in studies, at least for the malaysian education system i've experienced so far it seems to be so. I also tend to think there are more dumb guys than girls, just look at prison, school dropout rates.... no statistics to give here though... so not really verifiable...

Quote:
There are many schools of thought concerning feminism and its cause for equality and stuff. So don't over generalise the fight for equality. It's one thing to say that men and women may not be too equal in some tasks but it's another thing to give a sweeping statement that men and women are NOT equal.
Are men and women the same? May not be too equal can only equate "not equal" but cannot equate "equal"... simple logic
Besides, I was stressing on men and women being not equal but we should have equal rights as human beings cos that's what human rights are for right? they apply to us as humans... it's not called men's rights or women's rights....

Quote:
That shouldn't even be the argument. The argument should be more towards why are women treated differently in fields where they have been proven to be able to perform the same jobs as men? Why are women constantly measured against men and who came up with that standard in the first place?
Here's your contradiction dear, if you say that women have been proven able to perform the same jobs as men then they would have already been measured to prove that right? Anyway i think we cant deny that in general there are separate areas where men and women perform better in. When I say in general of course it doesn't mean everyone, i'm sure there's some super strong female body builder or wrestler out there that can literally tear me limb from limb haha... but we can't expect that exceptions will be able to dispel societies general conceptions any time soon or ever unless we genetically engineer future men and women to be more physically and mentally equivalent....ack... i hope i'm not around when that happens...
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#5 Old 17-11-2005 Default

There is a statistical "normal distribution" to all attributes of male and female - there are certainly girls who are better at maths than many guys, and there are guys who could do embroidery better than many girls. In general we might see that guys are better at maths, science and sports, or girls are better at linguistics, but to make a comparison from a few specific examples are downright meaningless.

And for your information, the reasons that there are more male in top positions in many fields, are more to the society than the biology or physiology of female. We still have prejudice towards the ladies in many areas, and that's the main reason we have less female in the present.

A few reading that might be pertinent in this case:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/302152.stm
http://science.slashdot.org/article....317200&tid=146 (read the comments, they are the germs of this link)

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
balderdash

#6 Old 17-11-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew
And for your information, the reasons that there are more male in top positions in many fields, are more to the society than the biology or physiology of female. We still have prejudice towards the ladies in many areas, and that's the main reason we have less female in the present.
My point, precisely. I couldn't have said it better.
balderdash

#7 Old 17-11-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCHP
Sorry for the late reply Dear-rie....
Please do not address me as that. This may sound overly sensitive but I do take offence to that, especially when we are discussing a topic as such.

Quote:
Quote:
Really?
Hmm maybe it's different where you live but so far i usually see male construction workers, fighters, well you get the picture... oh and if you don't then i guess we must just live in different worlds
While I was not denying the physical strength of men, my main point was basically to bring up what I was more concerned about your argument which were loaded with over generalisations.

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps you will again say that this is caused by discrimination but seems that for any occupation or specialty area... well kinda hard to find an area where women dominate as the best, what i mean is top positions seem to be normally held by men.... can anyone tell me of any?
I did not ask for an explanation of WHY you said that men had "exceptional expertise". I was asking for definitions of men holding "exceptional expertise in almost every area. Do not attempt to predict what I (or anyone else) will say.

Quote:
Quote:
This can be discussed but girls seem to do better in studies, at least for the malaysian education system i've experienced so far it seems to be so. I also tend to think there are more dumb guys than girls, just look at prison, school dropout rates.... no statistics to give here though... so not really verifiable...
Somebody correct me but I've always thought that when you said that someone was "intellectually challenged" it would mean that that particular person was challenged, intellectually, i.e., lacking in terms of intellectual abilities.

Quote:
Quote:
Are men and women the same? May not be too equal can only equate "not equal" but cannot equate "equal"... simple logic
Besides, I was stressing on men and women being not equal but we should have equal rights as human beings cos that's what human rights are for right? they apply to us as humans... it's not called men's rights or women's rights....
Again, please read carefully. I was referring to your sweeping statement about "propaganda and arguments about men and women being equal". I just felt the need to remind you not to make generalised statements as such with regards to what I infer here to be the different waves of feminism and gender studies.

Quote:
Quote:
Here's your contradiction dear, if you say that women have been proven able to perform the same jobs as men then they would have already been measured to prove that right? Anyway i think we cant deny that in general there are separate areas where men and women perform better in. When I say in general of course it doesn't mean everyone, i'm sure there's some super strong female body builder or wrestler out there that can literally tear me limb from limb haha... but we can't expect that exceptions will be able to dispel societies general conceptions any time soon or ever unless we genetically engineer future men and women to be more physically and mentally equivalent....ack... i hope i'm not around when that happens...
I have not said that "women have been proven able to perform the same jobs as men". Oh I see, "IF I said" right? But no I did not. My point there was to discard the whole argument about whether men or women were equal. I was trying to drive towards a point that it would be more useful to discuss instead the reasons why women are treated the way they are in the society. My last sentence in the above quote was also to question the measurements given by society regarding standards to be achieved, which as essentially male-centred. And that was rhetetorical too.
FCHP Male
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 17-11-2005 Default

Quote:
I have not said that "women have been proven able to perform the same jobs as men". Oh I see, "IF I said" right? But no I did not. My point there was to discard the whole argument about whether men or women were equal. I was trying to drive towards a point that it would be more useful to discuss instead the reasons why women are treated the way they are in the society. My last sentence in the above quote was also to question the measurements given by society regarding standards to be achieved, which as essentially male-centred. And that was rhetetorical too.
Point taken and agreed. It is pointless to go quote into quote arguing something that only serves to prove "I am right." Still I have my personal opinion that men and women are not equal , not the same. Might seem over generalising to some but that's just how I think. If anybody asks me "What do you think about men and women?" I would immediately answer "They're not the same, not equal."

Maybe a discussion on women's rights here way be beneficial but seeing this is a psychology forum and the thread starter did kinda emphasize differences on men and women. Anyway since we've already got here, let's just deviate for the moment or until the thread starter objects

Now in discussing the way women are treated in the workplace, let's hear about it then. How are women treated in the workplace? If you're a working woman, let's hear from you..
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#9 Old 18-11-2005 Default

well...the debate of differences between men and women came from our tendency of classifying everything when we can...but there are still differences between each and everyone of us...so its better if we can view people as unique individuals...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
banshee
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 19-11-2005 Default hmm..hmm...

since this is a psychology forum...we just discussing thing...not really trying to turn things into like men are better or women are better...

of course i agree that men and women have their own strengths.. but in the same time, also different weakness...

which psychologists or sociologists always trying to define...