ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Scholarships

Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

Preparations For Scholarship Interview

lXl Male

#21 Old 18-01-2006 Default

Jhuen wrote,

Quote:
mostly in english..for jpa, english.for bnm english. but u're required to write essays both in bm and english.
isit 2 languages for 1 topic ?
ReComer
Administrator

#22 Old 19-01-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lXl
Jhuen wrote,

Quote:
mostly in english..for jpa, english.for bnm english. but u're required to write essays both in bm and english.
Mostly it would be in English. It is rarely in BM, but be prepared for the unexpected.

Hope that more ReComers who have gone through interview would share their experience here, and for those preparing, do start and prepare early~!
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
twxin
Super Junior Member

#23 Old 25-01-2006 Default

i hav heard that the jpa scholarship application form are not publish in the star newspaper ....
is it true n where can i get it ?

does anybody know where to get the petronas scholarship application form ...
twxin is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#24 Old 25-01-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twxin
i hav heard that the jpa scholarship application form are not publish in the star newspaper ....

JPA application form would be online at JPA esila website. If I don't remember wrongly, it would be in http://esila.jpa.gov.my . It should be there around end of February.

For Petronas scholarship, do check on Petronas scholarship.
hummybear
Super Junior Member

#25 Old 06-02-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenchow
A lot of those performance in interview does not only lie within your content. It is to demonstrate your wholesome abilities to the interviewer. And the essential aspects, include your leadership abilities, knowledge in current affairs, ability to think on the feet, present well, listen well to others' opinion and synthesize them, summarize the discussion etc. Often, you would need to observe how others react, and guide everyone in the group. You are being judged in such manner, and not by how much content you share. That is the most common pitfall.

A lot of students tend to over dominate the discussion, and hence they have a false impression that they do well in the interview. They may know the most, but by over-dominating, they do not display the characteristic worthy of a scholar.

Click here
chenchow, is this correct of what i should do during the group interview..

first, i start the discussion of my study case if nobody speaks.but if someone does,just listen to him/her.right?and ask question only when he/she finishes.
em,do you it's ok to interrupt him/her during the presentation if i find that some of his/her remarks are fake or not suitable or something that i just do not agree with?
and what is everyone else in my group are so shy to talk or very quiet like they're having gold in their mouth while i'm the only one who actually want to talk?does that mean i'm over-dominating?

for example,i give you this one situation happened to me during the mara interview.
i started the discussion,reluctantly,because everyone hesitated to.when i finished eleborating my study case,there was silence again.no one continued or asked me anything.relising the awkwadness,i asked a girl in my group "would u want to say something about your study case?" luckily,she went on telling us about her study case.soon after that,there was silence for what it felt like a few hours.again,i asked another girl the same question and also a couple of boys.same thing happened everytime they finished about their study case.they just wouldnt talk.anyway,that means,everytime i have to ask questions by questions,while of course stand by my case.but what happened in the end is so frustrating.after half an hour,a boy suddently showed his 'fed up' expression and said he agreed with my idea.and so did the others.it seemed to me like he was giving me a message of "fine,whatever you say,miss.." hah,that was the end of our discussion. did i over-dominating?
hummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
juventus

#26 Old 07-02-2006 Default

well, these are just my thoughts.

in the way you described ur interview, i would think you did just fine. nobody can put the blame on you if your fellow group members weren't willing to talk.

but if you were talking too much, you were most probably taking away your group members' opportunities to talk.

i had this experience where everyone was supposed to speak about what they liked or disliked in the camp. the gal before me was over enthusiastic and when it was my turn, i had nothing left to say. she took all the words off my mouth. i was frustrated but i couldn't do anything about it.

maybe that's how your group felt about you. but these are just my thoughts.
juventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Anonymous87
Super Junior Member

#27 Old 07-02-2006 Default

Quote:
lXl wrote:
Jhuen wrote,

Quote:

As for bnm, you need to write 2 essays, 1 in english and 1 in bm for 2 different topics, while for jpa, you only need to write one - in English as the question is given in English.
Anonymous87 is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#28 Old 07-02-2006 Default

Hummybear, in my opinion, what you have done are pretty good. I think that you have displayed your leadership abilities in leading the discussion and getting everyone to participate.

I am not sure on whether you overdominate at the start. Do you speak for very long time at the start? Perhaps, in the future, fellow ReComers could weigh it by sharing a couple of your strongest point, and pass the opportunities around, before further elaborating on it.

And on fellow ReComers saying that all points were said by others, I would say that there are a lot for you to add on. You could add some examples, statistics etc on some points given by others. Substantiate further points given by others. Or even, do some interim summary to further lead the discussion. There are a lot of aspects that could be done.

We could discuss all these here in ReCom. Please keep the questions coming.
Larry

#29 Old 08-02-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twxin

You can get it in the Bank Simpanan Nasional.
Tasslehoff

#30 Old 09-02-2006 Default

Hullo all
I'm kinda wondering.... what to expect for a Yale interview?
Sigh.. I dread interviews :/ never seem to be good at marketing myself..
Tasslehoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasslehoff For This Useful Post: