ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Scholarships

Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

Preparations For Scholarship Interview

kevinkent

#41 Old 14-02-2006 Default

Ermmm… since there are people mentioning their interview experiences, so let me share with you all about mine. I did apply for Petronas scholarship, and then guess what? I was qualified to educamp! But obviously not so good enough the get the scholarship, ( I mean is actually sponsorship, you have to pay them back by working with them)……I failed…sigh….. Any way, this is whats going on during the three-days educamp in Tronoh ,UTP .

First day, was the registration day and students started to make new friends. We had ice-breaking and lots of group activities which were really fun-packed. The students had the chances to go around the university. The library was huge! Definitely first-rate! See it for yourself.

The second day, we also had some activities going on, but during the afternoon time it was mainly about the paper test including logical test, English Proficiency Test and another one ( I have forgotten about it already). The third day was the interview day. The sequence or the numbers for the students were selected randomly, so it was fair to everyone.

Third day,
The students were given an issue for their interview. There were two kinds of interview: the individual one and the group one. Students were given 30 minutes to prepare for the interview in a big room that’s fits about 100 students at a time and no discussion was allowed. The individual interview was given 7 minutes and the group one was 10 minutes. There were about five or six students in a group for the group discussion.
The interview was conducted in not-so-large rooms, sort of office rooms and there will be at least two interviewers in every room.

During the interview,
I was given an issue about the environmental problem and a task to figure whether I support the environmental campaign or not, that was the individual one. For the group discussion, we had to give the best solution to curb the pollution that’s happening as a Youth club. The individual one was okay I think. But in the group discussion, I don’t know whether I was doing the right thing…..let you all to judge that….. There were five students in my group. When the interviewer said: “You all may begin…”. There was a total silence in the room. That really took me aback. So, I took initiative to begin that discussion. I have my own idea about that issue, but I didn’t mention it yet just in case they would think that I was over dominating the discussion. What I wanted to do was to make the discussion start. I asked a Malay girl beside me about what is her idea about that issue. Then, she began to talk about the idea that she had in mind. Next, was another Malay boy elaborating about his thought. Yes, yes, finally they started to talk… However, it seemed like back-fired to me. In the room, just the two of them kept on talking. The boy: mine is this solution…..about technology, about bullet train like Japan. The girl: I prefer this ….bacteria to overcome the oil-leaking in the sea. The boy: yeah, I quite agree yours….The girl: so….The boy: but mine one also…Hei, Where is my turn and the other two? At last, when they started to take breath, I quickly joined in and mentioned my solution. My solution was the law enforcement from the government. AGREE?.....then I did lead another Malay girl to give her ideas. She said about through education ways. I did mention that I agree with the education idea and not too agree with the technology. And I stated my reasons for why I not so agree with techno thingy simply because we were assumed to be a Youth club, and we don’t have such investment to do it, like the bullet train and bacteria, they are highly-cost. All those I do it in alternate times and did let the others to give their opinion. In the end, it became government VS technology. Finally, the interviewer said it’s time up. Our group had yet come out with the best solution and all of the sudden, the Malay boy just voice out and said that “we have chosen the technology as the best solution”. Everyone was in shock, but they didn’t do anything. I was in shock too. The panel did ask us, “Do you all agree with that?”. Everyone just nodded, then I don’t know how… that I raise up my hand and said “Can I add a little thing?”. How about putting this all together in a word that’s “GOVERNMENT”? I said everyone has the chances to carry out the project. Like five of us, we can make our own proposal and see if that approved by the government…it is very fair to everyone...anyway, anything that we do must go through the government approval. Then, the rest of three persons except the techno boy agreed with me….. That’s how the discussion ends.

Am I being too rude? Or am I being so not tolerable? Am I doing the right thing?
I need some advise here…. From anyone….I just don’t know whether
I’m doing the right or wrong thing in the interview…. Sorry for the long story….
Chenchow, any advise there?
kevinkent is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#42 Old 14-02-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkent
Ermmm? since there are people mentioning their interview experiences, so let me share with you all about mine. I did apply for Petronas scholarship, and then guess what? I was qualified to educamp! But obviously not so good enough the get the scholarship, ( I mean is actually sponsorship, you have to pay them back by working with them)??I failed?sigh?.. Any way, this is whats going on during the three-days educamp in Tronoh ,UTP .

First day, was the registration day and students started to make new friends. We had ice-breaking and lots of group activities which were really fun-packed. The students had the chances to go around the university. The library was huge! Definitely first-rate! See it for yourself.

The second day, we also had some activities going on, but during the afternoon time it was mainly about the paper test including logical test, English Proficiency Test and another one ( I have forgotten about it already). The third day was the interview day. The sequence or the numbers for the students were selected randomly, so it was fair to everyone.

Third day,
The students were given an issue for their interview. There were two kinds of interview: the individual one and the group one. Students were given 30 minutes to prepare for the interview in a big room that?s fits about 100 students at a time and no discussion was allowed. The individual interview was given 7 minutes and the group one was 10 minutes. There were about five or six students in a group for the group discussion.
The interview was conducted in not-so-large rooms, sort of office rooms and there will be at least two interviewers in every room.

During the interview,
I was given an issue about the environmental problem and a task to figure whether I support the environmental campaign or not, that was the individual one. For the group discussion, we had to give the best solution to curb the pollution that?s happening as a Youth club. The individual one was okay I think. But in the group discussion, I don?t know whether I was doing the right thing?..let you all to judge that?.. There were five students in my group. When the interviewer said: ?You all may begin??. There was a total silence in the room. That really took me aback. So, I took initiative to begin that discussion. I have my own idea about that issue, but I didn?t mention it yet just in case they would think that I was over dominating the discussion. What I wanted to do was to make the discussion start. I asked a Malay girl beside me about what is her idea about that issue. Then, she began to talk about the idea that she had in mind. Next, was another Malay boy elaborating about his thought. Yes, yes, finally they started to talk? However, it seemed like back-fired to me. In the room, just the two of them kept on talking. The boy: mine is this solution?..about technology, about bullet train like Japan. The girl: I prefer this ?.bacteria to overcome the oil-leaking in the sea. The boy: yeah, I quite agree yours?.The girl: so?.The boy: but mine one also?Hei, Where is my turn and the other two? At last, when they started to take breath, I quickly joined in and mentioned my solution. My solution was the law enforcement from the government. AGREE?.....then I did lead another Malay girl to give her ideas. She said about through education ways. I did mention that I agree with the education idea and not too agree with the technology. And I stated my reasons for why I not so agree with techno thingy simply because we were assumed to be a Youth club, and we don?t have such investment to do it, like the bullet train and bacteria, they are highly-cost. All those I do it in alternate times and did let the others to give their opinion. In the end, it became government VS technology. Finally, the interviewer said it?s time up. Our group had yet come out with the best solution and all of the sudden, the Malay boy just voice out and said that ?we have chosen the technology as the best solution?. Everyone was in shock, but they didn?t do anything. I was in shock too. The panel did ask us, ?Do you all agree with that??. Everyone just nodded, then I don?t know how? that I raise up my hand and said ?Can I add a little thing??. How about putting this all together in a word that?s ?GOVERNMENT?? I said everyone has the chances to carry out the project. Like five of us, we can make our own proposal and see if that approved by the government?it is very fair to everyone...anyway, anything that we do must go through the government approval. Then, the rest of three persons except the techno boy agreed with me?.. That?s how the discussion ends.

Am I being too rude? Or am I being so not tolerable? Am I doing the right thing?
I need some advise here?. From anyone?.I just don?t know whether
I?m doing the right or wrong thing in the interview?. Sorry for the long story?.
Chenchow, any advise there?
I personally think that you did pretty well, although there are still room for improvement. In a way, you should have gave a point at the start, and then continued doing how you lead others. That would be ideal.

As I was not there to hear how you present, I would not be a good person to judge. And a lot depends on your language command, way of speaking, fluency, convincingness etc. There are a lot of factors to take into account right? Even your body language etc matters.
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
nyai
Super Junior Member

#43 Old 17-02-2006 Default

i really2 want to know exactly what i have to do during the interview.in very detail.in particular,the individual interview.ok.here how it goes...

the individual interview will de done in a room right(correct me if i am wrong).all the interviewees will wait outside until someone call their name ,right?

ok...
1)if the door of the room is close do i have to knock the door first or just masuk sajala or beri salam dulu?

2)then,when i open the door and at the moment i see the interviewer's faces,should i
a-just smile and go straight to the chair.
b-beri salam(how to say this in english?) and continue a.
-beri salam,smile,close the door back,and wait there until they ask me to do something.

3)should i ask their permission to sit or should i just stand beside the chair and wait for them to say something

4)do i have to shake hand with the interviewers.and if i should,when?before i sit or before i go out(after the interview is finish)and if the interviewer is a woman especially if she is muslim(i'm muslim),do i still have to do so?

5)after i have my seat,do i need to say something or just shut the hell up and wait for them to do so.

PLEASE HELP ME man!!!i have been thinking all this for such along time.anyway if u guys have something else about what to do please feel free to inform me ok?

p/smy english is quite suck.please correct it if i wrote something wrong.
Less Junior Member

#44 Old 18-02-2006 Default

Basically I'm just saying here based on my knowledge, so bear with me please

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyai
1)if the door of the room is close do i have to knock the door first or just masuk sajala or beri salam dulu?
If the door is closed, I'd knock it and wait for the interviewer to give a respond (like nodding), then only I'll enter. while entering (the moment you first stepped in and while looking at them), I'll say assalamualaikum or good evening and such.

Quote:
2)then,when i open the door and at the moment i see the interviewer's faces,should i
a-just smile and go straight to the chair.
b-beri salam(how to say this in english?) and continue a.
-beri salam,smile,close the door back,and wait there until they ask me to do something.
beri salam,smile,close the door back,and wait there until they ask me to do something.

Quote:
3)should i ask their permission to sit or should i just stand beside the chair and wait for them to say something
Normally it's better to stand beside the chair and wait for them to invite you to sit. don't worry, they won't let u stand for too long

Quote:
4)do i have to shake hand with the interviewers.and if i should,when?before i sit or before i go out(after the interview is finish)and if the interviewer is a woman especially if she is muslim(i'm muslim),do i still have to do so?
I'm not quite sure about this, as I handshaked with my interviewer (male of course) in Petronas interview and didn't got the scholarship (lol, or maybe because of something else perhaps). I actually handshaked them on the beginning and at the end of the individual interview. Then, in the group interview, all of us (candidates) handshaked with the interviewer at the end.

on another 2 interviews (MARA), I didn't handshaked with them as they were females (and a Muslim). and yes, I managed to secure the scholarship

no no I'm not saying do not handshake the interviewer, as I am too, not really clear about this.

Quote:
5)after i have my seat,do i need to say something or just shut the hell up and wait for them to do so.
stay silent and just wait for their instructions. normally they'll give a brief instructions on how the interview will be conducted. then they'll start the questioning you and you'll start answering.

FYI, I'm a bumiputra,an MRSM student and took SPM 2005, the interviews I had were based on trial result. hope that clears you up.
AtMostFear is offline   Reply With Quote
forever_jas
Super Junior Member

#45 Old 18-02-2006 Default w0w.

this site is really good i'm also waiting for my spm results..scary.
but what to do..i tried my best already... no regrets!!! jz nervous. no idea how to attend those interviews..browsing thru all these pages..starting to giddy d.. 8O i'm interested in medicine course..any schorlaship to apply besides the JPA??? thx...
[b]
keep up da great job!!!

c..h..e..e..r..s..
forever_jas is offline   Reply With Quote
nyai
Super Junior Member

#46 Old 18-02-2006 Default

thanx a lot man.i apreciate that.now i feel quite relief.any other recomer wants to give some information on that?

#47 Old 18-02-2006 Default

jpa interviews ahha. those were the days.

anyhoo the whole point of my post is to remind all you potential scholarship recipients not to worry too much. gets you nowhere.

also, pick your course properly, please! give it MUCH thought. medicine is not the only course worth taking, contrary to popular belief.

and if you get the scholarship to do ausmat in intec, I will laugh! heh.
Super Junior Member

#48 Old 18-02-2006 Default

what la.. sure of course..definately ..i think carefully d ler.. eh.if i'm a science student can i apply for accountancy in jpa ??? well..no worries loh..
forever_jas is offline   Reply With Quote
shihnobie
Super Junior Member

#49 Old 18-02-2006 Default SPM 2005 and Ausmat

hello friends...

i am also waiting for my SPM 2005 results. however, i am currently doing AusMat in Intec under Petronas sponsorship since jan06. i know many spm2005 leavers would think that i am lucky to get to study early, but trust me, i am willing to exchange places with u guys out there.haha.. am not being grateful, Alhamdulillah, it is just that i think i should have be given more 'playtime' before start studying again

life in Intec (specifically doing AusMat) is tough. everyday, at Cemara, i wake up at 6am. classes start at 8am till 6pm. i arrive at Cemara back at 6.30pm. monday-friday. monday=tuesday=wednesday=thursday=friday. there are lots of assignments, homeworks, quizzes, tests, presentations etc. no wonder my seniors told me, before i went to Intec, that AusMat is the 'toughest' programme at Intec. tough in terms of workloads...

furthermore, i think some (not all) of my friends here are selfish and not very helpful.one day i asked them which topic was going to be asked in our quiz and they did not even care to answer. i was so pissed off. then i went to see my 'real friend' and asked him myself...

luckily i have few friends that i can rely on. here, i have learnt that i should be tough, fit,independent and ready to overcome any obstacles that lie ahead...

frankly, i do not really love my combination of subjects (ESLS, Math, Spec Math, Chem, Physics, Pend. Islam, IELTS). i love all my subjects except Physics. i am more into Biology. but it is compulsory for me to study Physics as i am in Geology/Geoscience course.

therefore i am planning to apply for JPA schship (if my result is okay,InsyaAllah). is there any course that does not require me to study Physics? Pharmacy perhaps? Other than that?

i am currently under Petronas sponsorship? can i switch to JPA later? thank you.
shihnobie is offline   Reply With Quote
kevinkent

#50 Old 18-02-2006 Default Re: SPM 2005 and Ausmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihnobie
hello friends...

i am also waiting for my SPM 2005 results. however, i am currently doing AusMat in Intec under Petronas sponsorship since jan06. i know many spm2005 leavers would think that i am lucky to get to study early, but trust me, i am willing to exchange places with u guys out there.haha.. am not being grateful, Alhamdulillah, it is just that i think i should have be given more 'playtime' before start studying again

life in Intec (specifically doing AusMat) is tough. everyday, at Cemara, i wake up at 6am. classes start at 8am till 6pm. i arrive at Cemara back at 6.30pm. monday-friday. monday=tuesday=wednesday=thursday=friday. there are lots of assignments, homeworks, quizzes, tests, presentations etc. no wonder my seniors told me, before i went to Intec, that AusMat is the 'toughest' programme at Intec. tough in terms of workloads...

furthermore, i think some (not all) of my friends here are selfish and not very helpful.one day i asked them which topic was going to be asked in our quiz and they did not even care to answer. i was so pissed off. then i went to see my 'real friend' and asked him myself...

luckily i have few friends that i can rely on. here, i have learnt that i should be tough, fit,independent and ready to overcome any obstacles that lie ahead...

frankly, i do not really love my combination of subjects (ESLS, Math, Spec Math, Chem, Physics, Pend. Islam, IELTS). i love all my subjects except Physics. i am more into Biology. but it is compulsory for me to study Physics as i am in Geology/Geoscience course.

therefore i am planning to apply for JPA schship (if my result is okay,InsyaAllah). is there any course that does not require me to study Physics? Pharmacy perhaps? Other than that?

i am currently under Petronas sponsorship? can i switch to JPA later? thank you.
Shihnobie, can you explain to me about what is AusMat programme in Intec?
kevinkent is offline   Reply With Quote